Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan AC Compressor Brand
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

After having a replacement AC compressor fail in three years (Sanden - supposedly OEM), I'm wondering what brands Eurovan owners are finding tend to hold up better in these vehicles.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Mine is now 11 years old and had an OEM warranty replacement for noise in 2005. Still going strong.
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mine is now 11 years old and had an OEM warranty replacement for noise in 2005. Still going strong.

My question was what brand (manufacturer).
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Sanden is the only one I've ever seen on newer EV's. There might be some other brand out there but the Japanese pretty much mastered AC compressors back in the early 90's. At least it's not like the old York or Frigidaire compressors that blew up all of the time.
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

I replaced my original factory unit with a Sanden 3 years ago and now it's dead and I am replacing it currently with another Sanden.

The original was a Sanden and both replacements carry a VW\Audi logo on them.

I think my problem is Dye. I have read that the Dye can kill the compressors. So I flushed my system again very well and will be starting over without any Dye.

Good luck.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Sorry, Sanden - exact OEM replacement

If your compressor died and shot shards throughout your condensor, thats your problem. Most of the time you can't clean them out and have to replace it.

Dye is not killing your AC components. Are you adding PAG in the right amounts and places when you replace the components?
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If your compressor died and shot shards throughout your condensor, thats your problem. Most of the time you can't clean them out and have to replace it.

Dye is not killing your AC components. Are you adding PAG in the right amounts and places when you replace the components?

Is PAG the lube?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

housecall55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Is PAG the lube?

Yes - and using the 'Freon with lube' is not a substitute if you have had failure. You generally have to add something like 50-100 mL of oil in the right place when replacing major components
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
housecall55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Is PAG the lube?

Yes - and using the 'Freon with lube' is not a substitute if you have had failure. You generally have to add something like 50-100 mL of oil in the right place when replacing major components

The last time it was replaced, it was done by a really excellent tech who knew what he was doing, and I know they flushed the system and used the separate lube (and am assuming put it in the right place). The only thing I'm not really sure about is whether the place I bought it from (buyautoparts.com) sold me a real Sanden or not. It was so cheap, I suspect it wasn't. Where would you buy one from?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

I used a place in FL figuring they fix a lot of ACs down there. Ill dig up name but it was way back - possibly before the internet existed
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

What is the Sanden part number for a 2001 Eurovan?
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

I got a reman-'d Sanden compressor and air drier and pressure valve kit on Ebay for $200, from a rebuilder located in Anaheim, California. It's been working great now for three years, knock on wood.

These days, the typical failure point on the compressor is the electromagnetic clutch. Sometimes a seal will let loose and bleed out the refrigerant. But as said earlier, the Japanese compressors' inner workings are pretty reliable. If it is the electro clutch that's kaput, you could try replacing it, but for the pain of it, it probably makes more sense to get a reman'd compressor.

You can also get PAG oil that comes in a refrigerant bottle, around 4oz. I converted it to mL's and I think I still had to add two cans of it, even though the compressor came with oil in it already. It's a bigger system with the rear AC, so it needs more oil.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

135cc with one condensor

240 ml with two condensors
housecall55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Jonwid wrote:
I got a reman-'d Sanden compressor and air drier and pressure valve kit on Ebay for $200, from a rebuilder located in Anaheim, California. It's been working great now for three years, knock on wood.

These days, the typical failure point on the compressor is the electromagnetic clutch. Sometimes a seal will let loose and bleed out the refrigerant. But as said earlier, the Japanese compressors' inner workings are pretty reliable. If it is the electro clutch that's kaput, you could try replacing it, but for the pain of it, it probably makes more sense to get a reman'd compressor.

You can also get PAG oil that comes in a refrigerant bottle, around 4oz. I converted it to mL's and I think I still had to add two cans of it, even though the compressor came with oil in it already. It's a bigger system with the rear AC, so it needs more oil.

I'm sure some rebuilders are good, as are some retailers of new compressors. After getting only three years out of the new "OEM" one from buyautoparts.com, I'm not inclined to trust them. Who can point me to a reputable rebuilder, or a retailer of the real Sanden new one?
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

I have also had a Sanden compressor failure just now, leaking shaft seal which contaminated the clutch. Lasted only 9 months, going to have another installed under warranty and see what happens.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

http://www.discountacparts.com/addtocart~year~2001...-01530.asp

$300 domestic US
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan AC Compressor Brand Reply with quote

Almost purchased this kit from these guys in San Diego.

Then I found a eBay listing from a rebuilder in Anaheim CA who was a little cheaper. Can't find him anymore under "Eurovan" search. And that was over three years ago. He had rebuilt Sanden compressors with a new dryer and 2 expansion valves for $199.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400867386239

If it goes out again I'll likely go with these guys next time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: