Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's talk starters
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

I'm starting to see signs that a new starter might be in my future. From what I can see there are a few options. I'd like to get some opinions on the best route to take.

1) Rebuilt Bosch - cheapest but rebuild may be questionable
2) Adapter and TDI starter - appears to be the most expensive option since I don't have a core and the starter is again rebuilt.
3) New gear reduction type from GW or VC. I have heard of reliability issues with this style in the past although they say these have been addressed.

Thoughts?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

Rebuild yours yourself or take it to a local auto electric shop to be rebuilt.

New bushings, new brushes, a good cleaning and you're as good as new in most cases.

Rebuilt units to me are a waste.
I've spent more $'s rebuilding my own stuff than a rebuilt would cost. But I used top quality $40 ball bearings (alternator) instead of the $3 Chinese crap bearings the rebuilders use!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

I'd suggest it depends on symptoms of current starter.

As Dave suggests, take it apart, clean etc. Even just cleaning up the 30 and 50
contacts at solenoid can help. Beware that the stranded copper cable
between solenoid and starter can turn to dust while taking things apart.
Cleaning commutator really helps.

Check out youtube videos.

As a side note, wishful thinking on my part but had hoped a clutch housing
starter bushing would be the same size as bushing at other end of starter. Too
long. Didn't check ID/OD though.

I'd double check with Karls posts here but I think one advantage of the adaptor
TDI starter route is that that starter can be rebuilt. And, you can find them new.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

Current symptoms are intermittent. Usually it's fine. Sometimes it cranks for a split second, pauses, then continues. Sometimes it stays running for a second after the van starts. The van has 66,000 miles I assume the starter is original.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

I've had good results with an inexpensive rebuilt from a local chain (O'Reillys) with the added bonus that, should it ever fail, it has a lifetime guarantee honored coast to coast.

Maybe I got lucky, maybe someone else was not lucky.

The R&R is pretty straight forward on a 2WD so if I ever have to do it in a campground (for example) it isn't a show stopper.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I've had good results with an inexpensive rebuilt from a local chain (O'Reillys) with the added bonus that, should it ever fail, it has a lifetime guarantee honored coast to coast.

This is what I did - the TDI knock off route from O'reilly's with the nationwide warranty peace of mind.

Upgrade to the TDI and don't look back. I had hot start issues, cold start issues, relays, wouldn't crank now would crank then issues for two years - put on the big mama TDI and it's like a whole new world.

And it sounds mean, too. I friggin' love it. I have confidence in my starter now. I'm running a stock 2.1 fwiw.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Adapter and TDI starter - appears to be the most expensive option since I don't have a core and the starter is again rebuilt.

FWIW, used my stock 2.1 starter as the return core for the Bosch TDI starter that I purchased from Summit Racing ($150/free shipping). They even sent me a prepaid label (when I asked) for the return shipment of the core.

So overall cost was less than you may have calculated.

and as designer put it:
designer wrote:
put on the big mama TDI and it's like a whole new world.

And the TDI starter adapter and customer service from Karl are first rate.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

I really like the points that Lucas makes in this article: http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=141

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

Sounds like a TDI starter from Oreileys is a good way to go. It has the benefit of a lifetime nationwide warranty and they only want $22 for the core. Is a 2003 Jetta TDI manual the one I need?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

The stock starter is perfectly fine for a stock van. I upgraded to the other "stock" starter (part number fails me) that has a higher output rating 1kw I believe. This starter is a bit longer so requires some mods if coupled with a diff lock equipped transaxle. It turns my 2.4 just fine. Compression tests yield 220 psi on this motor by the way. No need for expensive starter conversions.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk starters Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

This is what I did - the TDI knock off route from O'reilly's with the nationwide warranty peace of mind.

Upgrade to the TDI and don't look back. I had hot start issues, cold start issues, relays, wouldn't crank now would crank then issues for two years - put on the big mama TDI and it's like a whole new world.

And it sounds mean, too. I friggin' love it. I have confidence in my starter now. I'm running a stock 2.1 fwiw.

^^^^^^^^ THIS!

The GW starter is proprietary and if fails, you can not just walk into a FLAPS and exchange it.

The Adapter and TDI starter does not rely on the bell housing and bushing to support the starter like oe. Are you changing the bushing when you change the oe starter? Most don't and problems occur down the road.

The TDI starter can be had at a wrecking yard for $25. I have 30k on my used TDI starter and when it fails, I now have a core for return Smile

Its amazing how much quicker, smoother, reliable, stronger etc etc etc it sounds and feels after the conversion. The best 1.5 hrs laying on my back in the driveway doing this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: