Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

I'm so excited I purchased this bus and it arrived today from it's stay in Oregon.
Originally purchased by Morrie Hozen. He purchased it out of Alaska and had to have it shipped in a container to avoid title issues going through Canada. Morrie put some work into it to make it run and drive, put glass in it and did the interior and then flipped it.

This thing has the most insanely good original paint I have ever seen! I can't figure out why the paint is so well preserved on this thing it looks like new paint. I'm guessing it has something to do with there being no sunlight for half of the year. From what I was told it sat outside a lot and the windows were broken out. The underside has some rust for sure.

Plans are to enjoy this thing fix broken things etc. Here are some photos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Congrats on that beauty! Hard to beat original paint pgsg. Awesome bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Moosehead3333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Wow!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

i totally remember this one. congratulations. He had two PGSG buses around the same time.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Awesome bus. That's a keeper for sure.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

what happened to the one with the munched nose? Did you trade it back to upgrade?

I like this new bus of yours, I looked at it in person. I will have to say though, it really irritates me when people do half-assed work just to make something appealing to flip. the headliner really needs to be redone, as well as quite a few other items I noticed.

great bus to fiddle with while you drive!
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

sled wrote:
what happened to the one with the munched nose? Did you trade it back to upgrade?

I like this new bus of yours, I looked at it in person. I will have to say though, it really irritates me when people do half-assed work just to make something appealing to flip. the headliner really needs to be redone, as well as quite a few other items I noticed.

great bus to fiddle with while you drive!

I've still got the other pgsg. I'll be selling it soon to help cover the cost.

I agree the headliner is not that well done. But I felt like overall the bus was worth it. I bought the other pgsg from Morrie so I knew what I was getting into. I spent most of last year sorting out that other bus. I knew it would be a flipper but worth it to me.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

I just can't believe this is 58 year old paint.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:

you will have to do a TON of sanding to match the patina of the type 3

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:

you will have to do a TON of sanding to match the patina of the type 3

I've got my work cut out for me Laughing

The PGSG is 5 years older than the type 3. I feel like the paint on this bus is nicer than on my 9 year old kia spectra 5.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

looks like my 58 that came out central canada, extremely strong paint. mine even has all the pinstriping still on it.

some rust repair and plaint blending will look awesome!
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Congrats on the new ride. Gotta love strong OG paint. What's the issue with the headliner?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

So here's some photos of some weak spots. I mean first of all, the headliner is the wrong color according to Corey (blackdog1999) and Matt Miller who sell a more gray headliner that is cotton and not wool/ mohair. The second aspect that is weak is the corner tucks etc are not there. It's a very amateur install as you can tell there are places where they didn't know quite what to do.

Dirty Hands

Awkward folds

Camera focused on the street (sorry) but this one, what is going on here?

Ooops, cut short

Cut straight across and not folded under at the air box and a few other areas are funky

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

yes, like you mentioned aside from the poor install, this is the correct color.

Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

sled wrote:
yes, like you mentioned aside from the poor install, this is the correct color.

Yeah, well I think I'll get to replacing it at some point. But for the time being it's nicer than no headliner. All things in time I suppose. Right now I'm trying to focus on selling the old PGSG and I'll turn toward tuning the engine and stuff. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Wolfsburg West and Bustoration.

So the first PGSG I also bought from Morrie. Both busses have incomplete and incorrect door tops. I rebuilt the door tops on the first bus and now I'll need to do it again on this bus. He didn't use sigla felts so the sliders don't slide and both buses were missing the divider bars (??). I got a bunch of seals for the doors, bullets, headlights etc. He also used hex bolts on the rear pressed bumper, easy e (Evan) is hooking me up with some correct-profile bolts for that.

So another thing I was pondering last night is, how can I fix my fat base mirror arms? they're sheered from the top of the fatbase. I was reading some threads last night and it seems like you can drill out the mirror arm part of the mirror and then cut off a wolfsburg west mirror arm and JB Weld it into there. Is that strong enough? It'd be nice if I don't have to remove the cutoff arms and preserve the paint on them and not have to bang on the hinge to knock it out and potentially screw up the paint. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

JB Weld... I can see a mirror falling off at freeway speed... bouncing and ka-chiggering up the front end paint of somebody's bus behind you.

I think fixing in place will be very tough. Gravity wants to play with you. If you could hold the mirror arm in place... you could 45 degree bevel the sheared end & weld in-place (if it's all clean). Then you'd be worrying about shielding your bus... because those red hot kibbles popping from the weld will wreak havoc on glass and paint.

Maybe remove, pin upper hinges with something temporary & address off the bus. Probably easier to get arm/pin part in-line. Can spot paint burnt area of arm.

Option B: Throw a pair of these JOGR Fat Base Mirror Arms on to use... or just hold you over while working on your originals.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
JB Weld... I can see a mirror falling off at freeway speed... bouncing and ka-chiggering up the front end paint of somebody's bus behind you.

I think fixing in place will be very tough. Gravity wants to play with you. If you could hold the mirror arm in place... you could 45 degree bevel the sheared end & weld in-place (if it's all clean). Then you'd be worrying about shielding your bus... because those red hot kibbles popping from the weld will wreak havoc on glass and paint.

Maybe remove, pin upper hinges with something temporary & address off the bus. Probably easier to get arm/pin part in-line. Can spot paint burnt area of arm.

Option B: Throw a pair of these JOGR Fat Base Mirror Arms on to use... or just hold you over while working on your originals.

Yeah I've got a pair of those actually. just concerned about how hard it is to remove and install mirror arms. I guess I need to buy an air hammer with a drift punch and remove them.
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

I repaired a fat base arm on a '55. I tried MIG welding a new arm to the sheared base and filing by hand, but couldn't get it strong enough, so had a friend TIG weld it on.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:

So another thing I was pondering last night is, how can I fix my fat base mirror arms? they're sheered from the top of the fatbase. I was reading some threads last night and it seems like you can drill out the mirror arm part of the mirror and then cut off a wolfsburg west mirror arm and JB Weld it into there. Is that strong enough? It'd be nice if I don't have to remove the cutoff arms and preserve the paint on them and not have to bang on the hinge to knock it out and potentially screw up the paint. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
There are at least a couple different types of fat base mirror arms. Some have the arm and pin as a single piece, and the base slid over the pin up into position. Others have the pin and base as a single piece, and the arm portion brazed to it. I have seen at lest a couploe diameters of arms as well.

I have repaired a fat base arm by drilling out the base/pin and tapping threads into what was left of the arm (protrudes down into the pin/base about 10mm); similar to drilling/tapping a broken off fastener. I then used the bolt to pull the shell of the broken off arm out while heating with a torch. Bent a new arm, then brazed it back into the base.

You can see the broken off arm inside the pin/base:

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this is repairable?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: