Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

You don't need an aux fuse BLOCK !...you can use a single in line fuse .

I don't understand what you are asking about "key in hand "

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

andrew_c wrote:
Hey guys, been doing a lot of reading and have some questions of my own (mostly because I'm not an electronic guru).

Using that fuse grid posted for a 76-79 bus, it looks like the reco was changing over Fuse 2, 8 and 9 to the new Aux fuse block.

My ultimate goal is to run my stereo system while camping, that's the only reason I'm adding an aux battery. I don't want any lights or anything else drawing battery power during this time. (and not have any lights or anything running). I've ordered a battery isolator and a mega fuse kit to run between my batteries.

Given it's only the stereo I'm concerned with, do I still need an Aux Fuse Block in order to connect the Aux Battery to Fuse #9?

Follow up (may be a stupid question)- can I run my stereo setup with my key in my pocket, or does it need to be in the ignition switch? Hoping key in ignition switch will activate interior lights, etc, which would be running off main battery.

I'm running a Retrosound Model 2 if that has any consequence..

thanks!

Not sure what you're talking about with the individual fuse positions.

If you want to run your stereo from your auxiliary battery, just run power from your auxiliary battery to your stereo power.

Your stereo may draw power constantly so you may want to hook up a relay so that it's only on when your key is in the ignition. If you don't want to have to put your key in the ignition you could use a switch instead.

Hope that helps.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Stereos have a yellow and a red power wire. One goes to the battery and one goes to the ignition. So usually you need to turn on the key for the stereo to light up and come on. The problem with these buses unlike modern cars is that there is no accessory position for the key. That means that when the key is on, the ignition system is being powered and that means your coil is getting hot. You don't want that.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound

Last edited by aeromech on Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Who listens to a car/bus stereo when camping anymore? There are plenty of battery powered phone and MP3 speaker accessorys available these days. If your IPod and speaker die you can charge them on one of those portable jumper batteries. After all, we should all have one of those in our buses. I've done 4 days in Jerome with no power issues and the battery, even at 55%, still had enough juice to jump start a westy who's owner ran his batteries down. How you ask? Listening to his radio of course.
’65 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

That's right Rich. If I was to camp I'd bring my mini jambone bluetooth speaker and never use the stereo in the bus. My iPhone has way more music on it than I'd need for a camping trip.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

If all you want is music ; go to Cosco and get their solar panel kit .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:

i have read every post in this thread and still have a question. why does one need an auxillary fuse block for the items that are running off the aux batt ?couldn't one just run a wire from aux batt to the existing fuse block and run everything ? i guess the starter batt might want to drain into the aux batt there but a switch would fix that right ?

note: i got that cheapo bus depot split charge thing

thks in advance for any help
Iain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:

i have read every post in this thread and still have a question. why does one need an auxillary fuse block for the items that are running off the aux batt ?couldn't one just run a wire from aux batt to the existing fuse block and run everything ? i guess the starter batt might want to drain into the aux batt there but a switch would fix that right ?

Two power sources to one fuse block with a switch to control it, that is complicating things.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:

There's nothing stopping you from running power from your auxiliary battery to a fuse on your main fuse panel, but it's not advisable as you may inadvertently connect your two batteries together without knowing it.

I like to run things separately and keep things well documented with wire markers for anyone working on your bus in the future.

You don't need a fuse panel to run one thing, but running a larger gauge wire to a fuse panel in the front gives you the ability to expand off that one circuit.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Napa has a nice 4 or 6 fuse block

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Here's my setup. I'm now using 5 out of the 6 spots and 2 of 3 relays.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

why does one need an auxilliary fuse block for the items that are running off the aux batt ?
To protect the wiring and components hooked to the Aux battery.

couldn't one just run a wire from aux batt to the existing fuse block and run everything ?
Yes but Not everything. The coil would be energized all the time and burn the coil and points up.
You could run a wire from the Aux. battery to the accessories fuse, and then run an accessory off that, ie radio etc.
Note: you still want to put a fuse on the wire as close to the battery as possible. In case the wire grounds out. This way it will blow the fuse and not fry the wire.

i guess the starter batt might want to drain into the aux batt there but a switch would fix that right ?
There is a switch already. The ignition switch is the switch that disconnects the starter battery from the fuse block.

That will work.

mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

hey tcash,

thks for the point by point explanation

looks like aux fuse block it is then

mark
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

hey tcash,

i guess i am just slow but if the ignition switch is off then how would the aux batt feed back to the coil and points ?

thks, mark

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

mark d wrote:
hey tcash,

i guess i am just slow but if the ignition switch is off then how would the aux batt feed back to the coil and points ?

thks, mark

If you ran a wire from the Aux battery to power all the fuse block.
Everything would be on all the time.
Tcash
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
mark d wrote:
hey tcash,

thks, mark

Tcash

what would be wrong with that ? juice available to everything when engine is turned off seems ok to me. what am i missing ?

thks for your patience

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

mark d wrote:
Tcash wrote:
mark d wrote:
hey tcash,

thks, mark

Tcash

what would be wrong with that ? juice available to everything when engine is turned off seems ok to me. what am i missing ?

thks for your patience

The coil would be energized all the time and burn the coil and points up.
Best to use the Accessory fuse only on the fuse block.
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

ok, fair enough. thks for your help

StimpsonJC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Thank You so Much for the help with this! I am still working my set up, but at least I know what I am shooting for! Very Happy
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos Reply with quote

Br0ckenstein wrote:
Thank You so Much for the help with this! I am still working my set up, but at least I know what I am shooting for! Very Happy

THANK YOU for the positive comments . Smile
I Made this thread 4 1/2 years ago and it's great that people are still using it ..
Let me know if you need help with your project . Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: