Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grand Canyon or Bust!!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

Well, it's finally here - the countdown to a "bucket list" trip Smile I've owned my Bus for 25 years, and always said I wanted to take it to the Grand Canyon, and it's finally almost "Go" time Smile

My Brother and I have set aside a full 8 weeks from 31 July through 01 October. Here's a sketch of the planned route:

Start in Rochester, NY.

1) Canton Ohio; NFL Hall of Fame

2) Illinois; Starved Rock State Park (layover for a night)

3) Jackson Minnesota; The SPAM Museum (roadside attraction brief stop Razz )

4) South Dakota; Custer State Park. Custer will be our Home Base while we visit Devil's Tower NM (Nat'l Monument), Mount Rushmore NM, and the Badlands National Park (NP). Of course we'll make a stop at the famous Wall Drug store in there, too Razz

5) Colorado; Rocky Mountain NP.

6) Moab, Utah. Canyonlands NP, Arches NP.

7) Grand Canyon; North Rim campground. 3 days to enjoy the park.

8 ) Utah; Zion NP.

9) Utah; Bryce Canyon NP.

10) Homestead, Utah; luxury night in a hotel with a natural hot spring to soak in. We figure we'll be ready for a real bed LOL.

11) Jackson, Wyoming; Gros Ventre campground - Jackson Hole Ski Slope Gondola Ride, shopping, Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, etc.

12) Wyoming; Grand Teton NP -will take an full day driving from Jackson to Yellowstone for pictures of the tetons.

13) Yellowstone NP - 4 days of sightseeing, hiking, camping.

14) Wyoming, Shoshone Valley and Cody; Shoshone Valley is 42 miles of the most awesome scenery in America, Cody is the home of the Buffalo Bill Museum, etc. A lot of people skip this area and it's a shame!

15) Missoula, Montana; National Bison Range NP, Glacier NP day trip.

16) We'll be in Missoula for Labor Day and we'll switch gears there from sight seeing to "fishing mode". My Dad will fly out and meet us there, and we'll fish our way around Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming until it's time for a long haul home at the end of September.

Throughout the trip, we have only 4 nights in a hotel, the rest of it is in campgrounds! All the reservations are made and itinerary set. We limited Driving to 400 miles on any given day. Some long days driving, for sure, but every long driving day is offset with a day of no driving so I think it's do-able.

I have a few things to get done yet, mostly cosmetic, but including the engine compartment seal and front brakes.

Who thinks we are crazy?? LOL.

- Andy
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

THAT is an impressive itinerary, man! Post your travels here! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

If this is a one time trip...never to return you must include Monument Valley. It's Navajo land,free camping and it's soooo close to where you are. Google images for pictures

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Well done on the daily limit.

2 hours, 1 hour break
2 hours, 1 hour break

You will end up needing 11 hours per day in road but if you put those breaks in it s very sustainable over months.

CV joints repaired?
Brakes adjusted ?
Front end lubed?
Front wheel bearings repacked?

Bon voyage!!
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds like such a great trip. I love the Badlands, one of our favorite trips. I can also vouch for the beauty of Starved Rock, spent a lot of time there growing up.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

My wife and I have just finished a trip tp White Fish Montana to Glacier Park in my 64 splitty. We left california and traveled 2706 miles. I only had to change a wheel bearing in Bend Oregon. We didn't actually camp though. We sleep in our bus four nights. We had a Porta potty though. Only used it a couple of times. We stayed in a palcial lake house for 5 nites...Smile we always said we would take a road trip...finally. Good for you. We took too much stuff. We were prepared to camp and cook but sometimes it just doesn't fit the drive schedule. I hope your trip is adventurerist. Have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Andy what year bus and what kind of motor?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Sweeeeet! You have a lot of stops planned, it should be quite the adventure. I'm real close to Moab, if your that way and need any assistance let me know.

Safe travels!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

What a great route, enjoy!
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

SGKent -

It's a 1970 Westy with a 1915cc upright engine. The engine was built by Adrian Audirac and his crew at Headflow Masters in CA and only has about 2000 miles on it.

- Andy
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

I want to do something similar. I want to take my 5 weeks paid vacation, then 1 week non paid, all at the same time. Then drive to Alaska. Will have to wait for Hubby to retire though. Very Happy

I can't wait to follow your journey. Make sure to take lots of pics and share them. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

My Bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: I am not dragging the trailer with me across country, it just happens to be in this picture Razz

- Andy
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

There is NOTHING like sitting down and hanging your feet over the edge of the Grand Canyon and watching the birds flying around BELOW YOU !!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Sounds like a really rad trip.
Nice you were able to set aside the time to do all that is on your list.

Will be coming back for updates and photos!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Shocked reservations???? found out the hard way- but it all worked out as I hit the campgrounds at 11 am and asked about "no shows" got in the best camp in Grand Canyon for $17.00......

You can also stay at Khyber lake campground (?) in Williams- 80 mi from the rim.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
There is NOTHING like sitting down and hanging your feet over the edge of the Grand Canyon and watching the birds flying around BELOW YOU !!!

I overnighted at the Grand Canyon on the return from a ski trip. Pulled in after dark and nobody else in the parking lot so I parked parallel to the rim. Woke up in the morning and opened the slider while still in bed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Great photo ; Thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Andy - carry oil and check it each gas up. VW engines on long trips are notorious for burning no oil then for whatever reason eating a quart in 300 miles then not again for thousands of miles. Every 2000 miles or so, before you pull out in the morning check your tire pressure, valves, and lug nuts. That engine is new so you want to be sure you keep up with it as it settles in. You should have a safe and wonderful trip.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

This sounds like an awesome trip! Post lots of pictures please! Smile
Following this thread.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lilpig88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Canyon or Bust!!!! Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip...but don't miss the SPAM museum in AUSTIN. If you make it to Jackson, MN you'll be too far west Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: