Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

I'm looking at a weld/fix for one of the jacking points on my '75 bus. It has already had a plate welded to its side in the past.

At first glance, it looks like I might be able to grind the upside down "U" from the inside (the bit that's now missing the top) & weld a new one in, but I'd love to hear how others have done this,
thanks!

Here's the present situation:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

Looks like a job for a long wrecking bar shoved in there and stepped on. But if the jack point is that sketchy already why bother?, I'm guessing you've never seen the carnage that results when one decides to let go because of rust? It's likely safer you can't get the stock jack in there as it is now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

would need to see a much better picture(s) of the surrounding area to make any suggestions.

"colapsed" jack point to me, means the whole area is rotten and the jack point cannot be used anymore because it will not support the weight of the bus.
if the bottom is just bent like your photo shows, then do what BD says Smile
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

Yeah, looking at your other pics shows lots of problems. Without a good area above the Jack point, a repair there will not help. First fix the pillar, sides, rockers (both inside and out) , floor, then replace the Jack point. Btw, as a regular jacking point, better to use a floor Jack and the torsion tube. The og Jack point's just for emergencies.ok
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

That jacking point is toast. No metal visible above the hole where an OG jack would push up with a peg inside the jacking point.

It is just like one of mine, I have purchased a new jacking point but expect to have to weld a lot of structure between the floor (all three rocker panels inner middle and out) , the 'top hat' beam across under the floor , and the jacking point in the next few years.

Jack up on the torsion tubes or carefully on the chassis rails. But not on the bottom of the stock jacking points in any case.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Madumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

Thanks so much for replies...

Definitely helps narrow down the "to-do" list.

The inside of the frame looks OK, but yes the rocker panel is in need of repairs (it's fibreglassed for now)... I'll put it off till I do the rocker panels/pillars+dog legs...

Not looking forward to fixing that one... Some time this winter Sad

haha, here's a pic of what the fiberglass covered Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions how to fix collapsed jacking point Reply with quote

Yeah, not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but I sure wouldn't want to try using the stock jack under a weak area like that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: