Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Survivor Restore
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
This is my second build thread, and my second VW! A 1971 Deluxe Transporter that I picked up recently out here in Oregon. It came with a lot of goodies, so I will be sorting through them and selling what I don't need for the build. I will also be selling my 1969 Deluxe to help fund an engine build and the camper conversion for this bus.
If anyone wants anything they see, PM me. Third seat, transmissions, engines ect.
Here are the photos from when I went to check out the bus:
It had been sitting here for 15 years, through snowy winters and more, even with the door off as it is now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is after we hauled it off!

I will post a better picture tomorrow, but here it is after I began polishing the OG Velvet green paint.

Here are some of the many things that came with the deal:

Pictured above, the guy said that giant radiator with fans was for AC, but I don't know about it since I haven't researched yet.
Here is an example of how rust free this bus is. The only rust is the battery box, and the rest is mostly just patina. Huge difference from my California bus! I guess being out here in the High Desert made a big difference

Now I have a question:
I pulled the heads off of one of the 1600 Dp engines that came with it, (the one that was stored inside) and snapped some photos of the valves and pistons. Can anyone tell me what the discoloration means and what else to look for to Guage if it's a viable engine to run? I want to get the casesavers machined in too.

Thanks! Follow for the process if interested![/img]

Last edited by AircooledHome on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Congrats
Check the engine numbers on the engine with the AC bracket.
That engine may have came with the bus?
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Good luck
Tcash
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Congrats
Check the engine numbers on the engine with the AC bracket.
That engine may have came with the bus?
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Good luck
Tcash

That is very true. And I believe the engine I took the heads off of was also from a 70/71 as it is an AE engine as well.
What can I look for the determine if the engine is good to go once I have the heads off?

Thanks
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Today my cousin helped me wax the bus, after installing the door and going over it with rubbing compound. It looks like a totally different bus!!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Quote:
What can I look for the determine if the engine is good to go once I have the heads off?

You need to have the pistons and cylinders measured.
Remove the pistons and rods and inspect the rod bearing. Re-install rods with new nuts.
Put the plugs back in the heads, turn them upside down and put some trans fluid in the combustion chamber and see if the valves leak.

You would be better off checking end play and doing a leak down test before disassembling the engine. This would give you an idea of the condition of the top end.

Looking good
Tcash
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Quote:

You need to have the pistons and cylinders measured.
Remove the pistons and rods and inspect the rod bearing. Re-install rods with new nuts.
Put the plugs back in the heads, turn them upside down and put some trans fluid in the combustion chamber and see if the valves leak.

You would be better off checking end play and doing a leak down test before disassembling the engine. This would give you an idea of the condition of the top end.

Looking good
Tcash

I have rebuilt heads to use.
Is there no way to check the bearings just with the barrels and pistons off?
I am considering getting an engine completly rebuilt just for kicks.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Cleaning cleaning cleaning.
I pulled everything, checked everything.
Too bad end play is 12 thousandths... I think I'm gunna still run it for temporary. No movement in the thrust bearing and no in and out movement on pistons.

Also, got tired of borrowing flywheel lock tools, and too lazy to go buy one..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:

Too bad end play is 12 thousandths... I think I'm gunna still run it for temporary. No movement in the thrust bearing and no in and out movement on pistons.

um...it's all connected. so the end play is loading the side of the rods which is cocking them sideways if you will. it will run. till it doesn't

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

um...it's all connected. so the end play is loading the side of the rods which is cocking them sideways if you will. it will run. till it doesn't

What?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

what do you mean "what"?

you said you have .012 end play but there is no movement in the pistons...

as that crank is getting hammered front to back, so is everything attached to it and you are going to have timing scatter like you read about. and beat the everloving shit out of the case...

you said you are going to use it anyway. I said it will run...till it doesn't...as in it pukes its guts

hope that made sense Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

what do you mean "what"?

as that crank is getting hammered front to back, so is everything attached to it and you are going to have timing scatter like you read about. and beat the everloving shit out of the case...

you said you are going to use it anyway. I said it will run...till it doesn't...as in it pukes its guts

oh thanks for clearing that up,
I was reading that .012 is normal for a mid cycle engine, even though its excessive.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
what do you mean "what"?

oh thanks for clearing that up,
I was reading that .012 is normal for a mid cycle engine, even though its excessive.

Although .012" is within the wear limit it's approaching the upper end of it, at the very least reshim it and get it down lower. As Skills says the rod bearings take a beating and the piston skirts/crowns wear in line with the pin axis, it'll be clattery with mediochre oil pressure and higher than usual oil consumption even if you shim it. It's on the raggedy edge of done, since you are in deep already finish the job and never worry about it later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

- is there a shim that's supposed to sit in between the barrel and the case? I'm putting them back on.
- once I apply sealant to the rim of the barrel and install it, do I have to then right after, torque down the heads to seal them?? Or am I good to just push the barrels on and let them sit.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Do you have the Tom Wilson book? Sounds like that would help a lot here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
- is there a shim that's supposed to sit in between the barrel and the case? I'm putting them back on.
- once I apply sealant to the rim of the barrel and install it, do I have to then right after, torque down the heads to seal them?? Or am I good to just push the barrels on and let them sit.

I agree, you need the Wilson book.

Some head/piston combo's require shims between the barrels and case to achieve the correct compression ratio, always measure deck height and chamber volume to calculate the CR, even when reassembling someone elses work.
A good sealer for barrels like Permatex grey will harden enough to skew torque pressure if applied hours before head installation, I apply it just minutes before head installation and torque so it goes together semi wet, if you have shims do both sides of them too. Don't drown it, a light smear is all it needs (a small brush works well down in there) and don't forget the pushrod tubes or the deflector tins between them and the cylinders, you can't install either after torquing.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

I agree, you need the Wilson book.

Some head/piston combo's require shims between the barrels and case to achieve the correct compression ratio, always measure deck height and chamber volume to calculate the CR, even when reassembling someone elses work.
A good sealer for barrels like Permatex grey will harden enough to skew torque pressure if applied hours before head installation, I apply it just minutes before head installation and torque so it goes together semi wet, if you have shims do both sides of them too. Don't drown it, a light smear is all it needs (a small brush works well down in there) and don't forget the pushrod tubes or the deflector tins between them and the cylinders, you can't install either after torquing.

Thanks thats what I was looking for.
Imagine that im rebuilding this on the side of the road in the desert, with nothing but an o'rielly near by. I have books and the wilson book at home (im out of state) so for now Its what I can find on the internet and me. Luckily ive done this before (once the barrels are back over the rings.)
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Hey so I am rebuilding a 34 pict 3 carb to use for now.
I pulled 2 of them apart and soaked them in that cancer stuff, and am looking at what I have. BOTH seem to have play in the throttle shaft. So I pulled the throttle shafts out and am looking into rebushing them.
While I had them out, I realized that not only are the throttle shafts completely different lengths, the throttle lever assemblies are also different. Any word on why that might be? Super beetle vs T2?

Thanks!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Which of these two throttle brackets should I use? Both were from same model carburetor but look different.
[/list]
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Send the carb to Tim at Volkzbitz. Money well spent and will remove a HUGE variable when you get the engine back together...

Variable being improperly "rebuilt" carb which throws everything off...

It's really short money and quality work Smile
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I love the green Bus... rarely see that shade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: