Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

With the wire coming out of the Series resistor prone to breaking after years of vibration and heat cycles, I thought I would offer a tutorial for bracing and reinforcing the wire. This is not a repair per-se, as the part needs to still have the wires attached and working, but it will add support and protection at the solder joint. Its easy to do and took less than 20 mins.

First the part:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Noticed I marked the plug on the side that that center wire goes, with the ears
There are at least 2 body styles the spare one Im using has the larger aluminum case and a little tougher to reach the wire bases.

The other body style, which I believe is off a beetle has a smaller shell, but is otherwise identical, as seen on my own bus

Parts used

5mm heat shrink cut to about 1/4" length
Liquid tape
hobby paint brush
Heat gun
cotter pin or other piece to release the wires from the plug
Brake Clean or carb cleaner, to remove dirt and grease

To Start remove the wires from the plug, take your cotter pin and push the tabs down and pull out from the back side

Then we have this

What you see up close

Spray everything down and remove all the dirt, not really critical,, but always good practice

Paint the junctions with some liquid tape

Now slide over the Heat shrink right atop the base of the resistor

All shrunk down now

Now give the Plug a spray as well

Bend up the tabs on the ends so they lock into place on the plug

As said above, if you didn't pay attention to where the center wire went to, its in the middle closest to the side with the little ears. This one is going back into my spares, otherwise if I was using it would put a little bit of Dielectric grease on the ends

And all done, finished and now a stronger part

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

good work
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Solid thread, man! Cool Nice work.

Bookmarked!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Great! Thanks!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Put in Tech Tips
Thank you
Tcash
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Tcash. It's simple and effective. Ihave been wanting to do something like this but wasn't sure how best to approach it. Now it's on my (ever growing!) list of "To Do's".

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelctanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Hi fellow bus enthusiasts,

I‘ve got major problems coldstarting my 76 FI bus and noticed that one of the resistor wires broke off directly at the base, therefore not leaving any wire to solder to.
Does anyone know of an available replacement part that has the same resistance needed or is there a possible fix?
Original resistors have become hard to find (just like everything else) and Ìd prefer something I can easily replace a second time as I donˋt care for 100% originality.
Thanks for your help!

Michael
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

I do not know of an exact replacement part, but you might be able to measure the resistance of the resistor and shop online to find a replacement. But it probably would not fit the same just because of bad luck.

If you do find something that works, please post it to this thread so we can all have an option.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

michaelctanner wrote:
Hi fellow bus enthusiasts,

I‘ve got major problems coldstarting my 76 FI bus and noticed that one of the resistor wires broke off directly at the base, therefore not leaving any wire to solder to.
Does anyone know of an available replacement part that has the same resistance needed or is there a possible fix?
Original resistors have become hard to find (just like everything else) and Ìd prefer something I can easily replace a second time as I donˋt care for 100% originality.
Thanks for your help!

Michael

If your resistor pack has kicked the bucket, I've got two suggestions:

• You can try to find a used one either for a bus or for another vehicle, with equivalent specs. I've had luck with finding L-Jetronic parts from Opel Commodores. I've got a Bosch #0 280 159 006 resistor pack (bus ones were 0 280 159 001) which is electrically identical and with the same mount. Alternatively,
• You can reuse the plastic connector housing and reuse the aluminum mount to fit newly bought power resistors in there. You should be looking for four 6 Ohm power resistors with 15W rating or higher (*). E.g.:

- https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/crl15w-6r2/15w-resistors/sr-passives/
- http://uk.farnell.com/vishay/rh0256r000fe02/wirewound-resistor-6-ohm-25w-1/dp/1369533
- http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/widerstande-durchsteckmontage/8459854

Alternatively, you might want to post a picture of your resistor pack. There are some very creative folks here at The Samba and someone might have an idea how to resurrect your non-solderable resistors.

Good luck!

(*) From a quick calculation on my head: each injector circuit: 14 V supply with 3 components in series - 1) series resistor 6 Ohm, 2) injector valve resistance 3 Ohm, 3) bipolar transistor switch. Gives ca. 1.5 A current consumption, which is in turn 13 W per resistor. Alternatively, if you dissect your broken resistor pack and take the resistors off, there might be a marking that tells you the exact wattage that was used originally (as it's not stated in the Bosch datasheet).

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Here's just another shout out for aerosurfer for the great instructions on refreshing and making the series resistor pack more robust.

I've just done mine and wanted to say thanks again.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" picture, but I'm sure everyone can picture a part covered in grease, dust and some rust Smile

Other than using RTV instead of liquid tape (I didn't have any), the only thing that I also did was to clean up the rust from the crimped ends of the resistors with a rust remover gel.

Decode your M-Plate
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to Reply with quote

Thought I'd bump this thread of AeroSurfer's great idea since its been dormant a couple years.

I did this a few months ago as a preventive maintenance measure.
AeroSurfer's instructions and pics make it very simple to follow, and gives a certain amount of peace-of-mind after its done.

Highly recommend this for all Bay owners who haven't done it yet.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: