Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I think I installed my distributor wrong.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

So I pulled my 009 distributor and installed this 205T rebuilt dizzy. Now my bus wont start. This is what I have checked so far and how I installed it.

I set the 009 to TDC on cylinder #1. (checked the rotor was pointing to the #1 wire.) I then pulled the distributor.

I insured the small portion of the distributor shaft end was toward the rear of the bus (towards the crank pulley) and installed the new distributor.

I then swapped distributor caps as the 009 locks into the opposite side of the dizzy.

I insured the #1 wire ran to where the rotor and notch in the dizzy body lined up on TDC. I then insured the wires ran in the proper firing order around the dizzy.

I then static timed it on TDC.

Here is a picture of the dizzy installed currently on TDC #1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bus ran fine and started properly prior to this.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

Move the Dist a little more towards the pulley so the dist notch is closer to
the center of the rotor. MORE ADVANCE & CHECK THE DWELL TOO

44*-50* degrees and plug wires are correct
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

OKAY so now I reinstalled my 009 and it wont run! I static timed the 009 at 7.5 btdc as it was before. It ran for about 2 seconds then died. It RAN fine before this now it wont run at all with either distributor?? WTF!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

Now the oil light wont come on with the key in the on position. WTF is going on!?

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

I bumped the wire loose on the oil sensor Embarassed

After I fixed that it decided it was going to run like normal again?? WTF! Now I wonder of the 205T would work? This is a really weird sequence of events. I guess im stuck running the 009 for a while more.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
So I pulled my 009 distributor and installed this 205T rebuilt dizzy. Now my bus wont start. This is what I have checked so far and how I installed it.

I set the 009 to TDC on cylinder #1. (checked the rotor was pointing to the #1 wire.) I then pulled the distributor.

I insured the small portion of the distributor shaft end was toward the rear of the bus (towards the crank pulley) and installed the new distributor.

I then swapped distributor caps as the 009 locks into the opposite side of the dizzy.

I insured the #1 wire ran to where the rotor and notch in the dizzy body lined up on TDC. I then insured the wires ran in the proper firing order around the dizzy.

I then static timed it on TDC.

Here is a picture of the dizzy installed currently on TDC #1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bus ran fine and started properly prior to this.

The 009 and the 113 T use the same cap and rotor. When you swapped them out that may have been the beginning of your troubles. If you do a search and some reading you will learnat the TDC point is different between the two distributors. You may have rearranged the plug wires.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

I used a brand new cap that was identical to the 009 cap. I arranged the wires in this order.

3 2
4 1

if you were to be looking down on the rotor cap from above from the back of the engine this is how it would be. The #1 wire was on the notch in the distributor where I static timed it.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

When you swap from an 009 to another distributor your wires are going to need to be rotated 90* on the cap from where they were previously. Sorry, can't tell you which way they need to go.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I installed my distributor wrong. Reply with quote

Quote:
I set the 009 to TDC on cylinder #1. (checked the rotor was pointing to the #1 wire.) I then pulled the distributor. ...

my understanding is that you have already allowed for the 90 degree rotation. (I've read some 009's are 180 off but that is moot if you put #1 on where #1 was on the old distributor.)

Are you sure that the distributor you put in is pushed all the way down, and that the points are opening and closing properly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: