Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion-
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

^Thanks guys, the trip has been great so far! Meeting up with the guys at the camp out, rolling with Stu for 200+ miles and camping for 3 nights has been great. Bus is running great so far. Temps are great, pretty low expecally the head temps. I can really notice a cooling difference with the better heads combined with the flaps. You all were right, flaps win! Gas milage has been good too, except that time I didn't out the cap on correctly and it was coming out of the cap and down the overflow. Embarassed I smelt the gas and noticed milage wasn't as good, we pulled over and I checked the cap first. Smiled and called myself a dumb ass. We are currently in Denver so I could get some new Flip Flops. Busted mine on Saturday night messing around kicking a large beach ball. I've been shoeless for 2 days and currently driving shoeless. Damn hippie!!!

We are real close to DenverB place Rocky Mountain Campers. If time allows I think we might do a pop in for a few min and meet him. Thanks for reading, gotta run right now, peace!

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

We made it home, 896 successful miles!!! I'll update some time soon, may be in a 1/2 hour may be tomorrow. Back to life now. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Awesome trip and the bus performed flawlesly, didn't even lift a screw driver! After waiting in the bus while Miles napped and posting while my wife was shopping we headed to lunch. Miles said he wanted a quesadilla so we headed over to Wahoos, a Mexican food chain and it was surprisingly good. While at lunch we maped Rocky Mtn Campers. It was only 10 min away, so after lunch we headed over. Kinda weird to try to meet someone and only know their username on this forum. But, we did it anyway. We rolled into RMC and found a nice spot under a tree, it was pretty hot out. The front door was locked so we walked around to the garage and found DenverB aka Boyd. He was a super cool guy, he hooked us up with some cold water and a tour of the shop. He had 4 buses at the shop and 19 on rent. Damn, that's a lot of buses! Roo was also at the shop and bullshitted with us during the tour. It was cool to stop by and meet another person because of the is site. During the tour we walked by the shirt rack and he hooked us up with a couple of RMC t-shirts. Sweet, thanks Boyd! We were only there for about 30 min or so then headed back out on the road. We stopped at the Kum & Go in Conifer, cause you got to. Filled the bus and stocked up on Kum & Go merchandise. Then we rolled 187 miles on 8 gallons of fuel, all the way from Conifer to Del Norte. That's 23.4 MPG!!! The best milage I've ever got with a stroker was 23.5, we're damn close to that. Let me tell you this was no strait flat 187 miles either. We wound through the mountains and crossed 3 mountain passes. Just on the out skirts of Del Norte we came across a hay fire. We're talking a huge brick hay fire. Like the on ton bailes stacked 2 wide 4 high and 100 long, it was a crazy scean. As we climbed our way towards Wolf Creek Pass the temp dropped and it started raining heavily. Turned on the heat and got roasted out. Flaps win again! Up and over the pass without issues. I engine broke down the entire back side. It was dark, pouring like a mofo and pretty slick. As I got to the bottom I looked at the gauges and my oil was at like 150*. It took another 40 miles or so more driving before the engine oil got above 180*. Most of this trip the oil ran at like 210*ish, which is perfect to me. All in all the trip was great. Saw some old friends, met some new ones, racked some miles up on the bus and had a nice time with my wife and son. Thanks for reading.

Stats:

Total miles: 896
Mpg: low 19.5 high 23.4 overall 21
Oil consumption: 1/3 Qt
Fun fact: passed 30,000 on the odometer

Big thanks to JAD Machine for building such a great running engine!!!

Some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Roo, Boyd, Rich P and Miles at RMC

Here's Boyd in the RMC lot in front of his '77 (I think) Rivera

30,000, I believe this to be 130,000 on the bus

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Hell yeah!! It was awesome meeting you and your family yesterday, what an unexpected an amazing surprise to have you stop by my shop. Like I said 1 million times yesterday you're welcome anytime - next time we'll have to throw some stuff on the barbecue grill!!

You got a killer bus there, your engine was inspiring and I have to admit I was a little embarrassed to pop my deck lid after seeing how tidy your setup was! Still, glad to meet ya and please don't be a stranger up here!
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Excellent finish on an envious trip! Thanks for sharing that with us. Bet young Miles will keep it all going when it's time. Cool

PM sent...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: