Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

For a long time Me and the Mrs always wanted a vw. We finally went out and bought a 1971 bug.

I know very little about them but did some research and waited till I found one I liked.

It's super clean in the engine compartment, the interior looks amazing and for sure the original. I've been able to use this website to figure out its matching numbers and the engine code is from 71 as well. It has no floor rot and is very clean.

Only issues are the tires are horrible and wheels look rusted and terrible. It has some spots on the body that have been touched up with body filler and surface rust stuff, but nothing major. It will need a new set of running boards.

I bought it from an older woman who says she bought the car 8-9 years ago from Michigan and had it shipped here to New England but after buying it found California state parking stickers on it that I hadn't noticed when I purchased it. My guess is it's originally a California car as it's pretty solid.

I plan on sending off and waiting the 8-10 months for the birth certificate. I guess from what I read it will tell me where it was shipped to.

So here are a few questions for you folks.

#1 I plan on putting Coker wide white walls on the car. I would like to make it as classic looking as I can. Should I sand blast the original wheels and paint them the stock silver color, color match them or just switch them out. I really want to keep the original vw hub caps.

I realize it's preference but I'm just looking for some opinions.

#2. I've seen they make the aftermarket running boards but are they any good. I kind of like the original look. I see you can buy both.

Figured I would check here and ask opinions before I spend money.

It runs great so far and first trip out had a lady ask if she could take some pictures. It's a fun car.

I will try to post some photos because I have some questions on color. I know it's been repainted. But think it's a vw color.

Thanks a bunch. Dave from New Hampshire

Last edited by Anglers-Attic on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Here is some pictures of my new car. Hope these upload and work.

Not sure if I did it correctly. I guess they went into a gallery. Hope it worked and people can see the pictures.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

You have some lingering from somewhere code characters in you post that can be edited out. They are:
Code:
[quote="Anglers-Attic"] [/img][/quote]

The [/img] code is stopping your post from being a quote. Which looks like this:
Anglers-Attic wrote:
For a long time Me and the Mrs always wanted a vw. We finally went out and bought a 1971 bug.

I know very little about them but did some research and waited till I found one I liked.

It's super clean in the engine compartment, the interior looks amazing and for sure the original. I've been able to use this website to figure out its matching numbers and the engine code is from 71 as well. It has no floor rot and is very clean.

Only issues are the tires are horrible and wheels look rusted and terrible. It has some spots on the body that have been touched up with body filler and surface rust stuff, but nothing major. It will need a new set of running boards.

I bought it from an older woman who says she bought the car 8-9 years ago from Michigan and had it shipped here to New England but after buying it found California state parking stickers on it that I hadn't noticed when I purchased it. My guess is it's originally a California car as it's pretty solid.

I plan on sending off and waiting the 8-10 months for the birth certificate. I guess from what I read it will tell me where it was shipped to.

So here are a few questions for you folks.

#1 I plan on putting Coker wide white walls on the car. I would like to make it as classic looking as I can. Should I sand blast the original wheels and paint them the stock silver color, color match them or just switch them out. I really want to keep the original vw hub caps.

I realize it's preference but I'm just looking for some opinions.

#2. I've seen they make the aftermarket running boards but are they any good. I kind of like the original look. I see you can buy both.

Figured I would check here and ask opinions before I spend money.

It runs great so far and first trip out had a lady ask if she could take some pictures. It's a fun car.

I will try to post some photos because I have some questions on color. I know it's been repainted. But think it's a vw color.

Thanks a bunch. Dave from New Hampshire

Sounds like a nice car, I like aftermarket wheels but nothing wrong with the stock ones if they aren't damaged. Often rims are pretty messed up. Take a close look at them on the tire machine you can tell.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of the engine, It's always nice to see an original engine. Way too may folks putting aftermarket air filters on them. That just makes them get poor gas milage and run rough when they are cold. They need all the hoses etc...Oil bath etc... The only way I would take that stuff off is if I were putting Dual Carbs on the engine.

Photos! Photos! Photos!

Ok you posted your photos and that is as good a way to do it as any!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

I'm just getting used to the posting. I think I edited out the thing you mean and think I know now how you managed to get the engine image to show.
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Buy your running boards from Wolfsburg West. They are better than new German ones. I got the ones with 33mm stainless steel trim. They are painted underneath with a thicker coat than German, and the fit was perfect.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1247271

As far as your rims go, have them checked for roundness and damage at the edges, etc.; then have them sandblasted and professionally powder coated in the stock color. They don't charge too much for this, and it will look far better than what you can do, unless you're a professional.

The car looks good.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

I really like the car's Color and It's going to look really nice with those White Wall's! Buy the very best running boards you can find and paint the under side to stop rust. I like the stainless steel running boards but they don't look original.

A photo found here on the Samba:

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

That's one nice Bug you have there!

Can't tell exactly from the pics... Is it a Super Beetle?
If so (and regarding the VIN) it's a really early one as the production of the Supers strarted on 3rd of August 1970.

Possibly there is a production tag available at the trunk...
See this thead: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564873

As for the color it looks like L12D "shantunggelb" (64).

Last edited by Maddel on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
RealThing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
If so (and regarding the VIN) it's a really early one as the production of the Supers strarted on 3th of August 1970.

The vin starts with 111 so that is a 2 door Sedan; Standard Model LHD
Super Beetles VIN started with 131 2 door Sedan; Super Beetle
73 Standard Beetle that we tow behind our Motorhome & use for sightseeing.
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

RealThing74 wrote:
Maddel wrote:
If so (and regarding the VIN) it's a really early one as the production of the Supers strarted on 3th of August 1970.

That VIN system started later... In August 1972 for the '73 model year curved windshield Supers (1303) AFAIK...
My Bugs VIN starts with 111 20.... And it's definitely a Super...
See this thread for example: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238815

Last edited by Maddel on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

I would look into Diamond Back Tires for Whitewalls. They take modern production Nankang Tires, and apply the Whitewall to them. The Whitewalls stay white for a long time.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

RealThing74 wrote:
Maddel wrote:

The VIN on my '71 super started with 111

Nice car OP. My '71 was the same color.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

My 2 cents....narrow whites (3/4") would be more correct, but the ones in that one pic looked really good. The 2 tone wheels are not correct but look awesome IMHO. PLEASE do not put those super wide whites on it... Will really look bad and way wrong. But it's your car, do what you want.

That car is in amazing shape..You did well....Get the idiots guide and take good care of it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

It's for sure a sedan and not a super. I will look for the tag in the trunk.

Thanks for the input. I figure it's best to ask opinions before doing to much to it. It's looks great and I just want to get it back to as close to stock as possible.

I bought some color charts off eBay and think it is shantung L12D but a few friends think it matches more to Yukon yellow. Even a local vw guy says Shantung.

I am pretty sure it's all pretty stock. I would love to add the wide whites as I like that look. I also like the chrome horn ring. I've seen other 71's on here with that and wondered if it was sold both ways. Was it an option ?

I guess I'm pretty lucky all the lights work, the original am radio even works. It even has the original tool kit.

It just needs the finishing touches to make it look really great. And I know most things are personal preference but figured I would ask opinions from folks who have been around them.

What a fun car. My father in law has a 60's 4 door vw pick up or transporter buried in his yard. Boy wouldn't that be fun.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Original never goes out of style.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

There is a place for the plate but there is no plate.

Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Here is a full view of the engine. Looks original to me.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

Anglers-Attic wrote:

This has been painted at some point (and poorly) - maybe to repair crash damage?

The painted front hood latch is a dead giveaway, that should not be painted.
Anglers-Attic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Anglers-Attic wrote:

This has been painted at some point (and poorly) - maybe to repair crash damage?

The painted front hood latch is a dead giveaway, that should not be painted.

It for sure has been painted at some point. And needs to be painted at some point. I don't think it was ever in an accident. I think it was painted to fix rust issues. Whoever did the small amounts of body work to fix small areas did a poor job.

I found a spot of original paint under the trunk area and appears to be original paint and looks shantung L12D as well.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought my 1st VW 71 have A few Questions Reply with quote

those creases in metal behind the hood latch and the dents around the tunnel inspection cover may be signs of a repaired front-end damage. also, the rear windows have probably been took off at some point since the rubber seals are missing the chrome strip.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: