Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tube fenders on a Thing...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

I really want the nerf bars...after I replace the motor I just blew.
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
. Ive built several different styles of tube fenders for the off road Jeeps and I'm thinking something similar should work well on the thing.

I see you haven't been around in a while. PM sent, I'd like to talk about this if you're still considering.

Thanks,
Jordan
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Still around just buried in other projects and my business. Thought I had better just put the thing in the barn until I finished up a bunch of other projects that I have started over the years before starting another. Still around but in the Lurker mode. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We THING owners are a funny laid back bunch.

Very true !! As well as *most helpful* with the myriad of issues we encounter with these vehicles.

I noticed that the area of rust below the drivers side, lower hinge, is almost the same spot as on my vehicle . . .
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Going through old pictures I had forgotten about this car:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/revolt-metal-works-thing.90472/

**on edit, the linked images didn't work**

Even though I have the wheel travel these are a bit much for me. I'd prefer something that generally bolts up where stock does, as I assume most folks would!
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

I noticed these on the net. Not sure how I feel about the solid axles but the fenders are pretty nice looking

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Yeah, I ran across the same vehicle a while back. I started the mounting flanges but got sidetracked when I was given a F350 diesel. Should be back on it in a week or two. I like what he did including the axles. That is all Bronco frame and running gear. I like the use of the fuel filler as a factory looking snorkel mount. Personally I really like what he has done and it makes perfect since for where he lives.

Last edited by Metal Twister on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

You know I have seen that car too, I should have remembered it.

I think I would still need the fender to flare up to get enough tire clearance.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Now dont be judging till ya see the finished product! but this is what Im doing...

Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
... I like what he did including the axles. That is all Bronco frame and running gear. I like the use of the fuel filler as a factory looking snorkel mount. Personally I really like what he has done and it makes perfect since for where he lives...

Not quite for me but no worries. I really do like what that guy has done. The pictures aren't very big but it sure looks like his work is clean and well done. I hadn't noticed the snorkel earlier but that's a cool idea. Happen to take any other pics when you saw that rig?

Looks like you're making some good progress! Definitely interested to see how yours turn out. I like the look and may end up "stealing from the best" sometime down the road
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

This is the only other pic I have.

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Im planning a fairly aggressive rock slider to save the lower edges of the body against large desert rocks. That is the reason for the fenders looking a tad bit on the short on the bottom. I played around with the front edge looking for something that I would like that wasn't just a round bend, We decided to put a little kick in the front edge just for looks. Im thinking about running a smaller tube of some sort down the front inside for strength and a place to mount a turn indicator. This thing is rock solid... Its going to have to take a hell of a hit to move this fender.

And no that front bumper is nothing that I made. It was started by the PO and bolted on as there is no where to store it. It may get whittled down in the future and used for the winch mount... or thrown in the scrap steel pile?

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

I like where these are going!
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

I know you're going for a more aggressive look but I've always really liked Surfarii's running boards. They seem like the provide good coverage for use as a rock slider but still blend in well.

ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
This thing is rock solid... Its going to have to take a hell of a hit to move this fender.

I've been pretty far out of the loop but these look pretty cool! Have you skinned it yet? I would love to keep the VW turn signal (I know some don't like them) for a kind of stock look. I love how high they sit, I think that would be enough clearance for my tires even.
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Hey MetalTwister, I haven't been on much and it seems like you've been away as well. Any updates on these?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Hey guys the thing went on the back burner very quickly. My Dad passed and i had a bunch of things i had to finalize with his estate. Anyway I just got back from a Five day stay at the desert and it got the juices flowing to get back on the Thing. It is exactly where we left off on this thread. So hopefully i will be starting forward progress on it in the evenings once again. Sorry for the abrubt departure...
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tube fenders on a Thing... Reply with quote

Life happens! Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have my car in paint right now so i’ll be curious to see where you pick up. I’m looking to keep it pretty simple ideally.

Good luck with the project!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: