Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
consvws wrote:
Todays score! I hauled home this 72 bus for two hundred bucks. I'm cutting it up, but there is lots of good parts

Why cut that one up? It looks solid enough.

It was a total basket case w/ no title. The trans & axles were clicking & clacking, the wiring was hacked & whacked. & the bus was full of bondo & rust. Hard to tell from the pics, but i could peel the rear fender flares off by hand they were so rusted, lol. I normally like to save them, but this bus would need to much of my money & time to make it respectable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
consvws wrote:
Todays score! I hauled home this 72 bus for two hundred bucks. I'm cutting it up, but there is lots of good parts

It was a total basket case w/ no title. The trans & axles were clicking & clacking, the wiring was hacked & whacked. & the bus was full of bondo & rust. Hard to tell from the pics, but i could peel the rear fender flares off by hand they were so rusted, lol. I normally like to save them, but this bus would need to much of my money & time to make it respectable.

Clicking/ clacking axles can be fixed in 10 minutes with hypodermic needle and grease gun.
In a pinch, if one starts clacking on a trip, you can usually just KNEAD the old grease back into the inside of the joint and make it stop clacking.
(I KNOW that sound, though! One would think it will break any second!)
I have cut up quite a few cars and regretted every one. Most of all my 78 Champagne edition bus. In retrospect, it was much better than most stuff out there now!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
consvws wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
consvws wrote:

Clicking/ clacking axles can be fixed in 10 minutes with hypodermic needle and grease gun.
In a pinch, if one starts clacking on a trip, you can usually just KNEAD the old grease back into the inside of the joint and make it stop clacking.
(I KNOW that sound, though! One would think it will break any second!)
I have cut up quite a few cars and regretted every one. Most of all my 78 Champagne edition bus. In retrospect, it was much better than most stuff out there now!
Al

i cut up a CE2 once too Laughing . I kinda feel bad about it, but it needed too much work like this one did. When i pulled the axles off the CVs were toast anyway, that's not the only reason it got cut up though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

consvws wrote:

i cut up a CE2 once too Laughing . I kinda feel bad about it, but it needed too much work like this one did. When i pulled the axles off the CVs were toast anyway, that's not the only reason it got cut up though

For me, it's both ideological and practical.
I don't think it makes sense to cut many of them up.
On the practical side: If you get the bus for scaleweight price, say $200, then spend some time dismantling it, then marketing and shipping the parts, THEN storing or disposing of the remains... Can you sell it for more than say, $2000? Say you net $2000. Do you have 50-100 hours in the effort? I mean, start to finish, one long week, or 2 long full time weeks to make $2000. That's $20/ hr and you took the risk. You might make LESS. This is all best case scenario.
I feel it's just not that attractive as a business venture.
More likely, you end up with a bunch of half cut up carcasses, or semi valuable parts, that you have to store and continue to try to sell.Then where do you put the stuff? Just plant a garden, much better odds of a good outcome.
I'd rather buy the car, clean and fix the tires, brakes and motor, sell it quick for $1800.
Let a starry eyed person learn about fixing rusted sills.
Actually, on a few, I have fixed the floor, left the sills rusty for the next owner to restore.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
consvws wrote:

For me, it's both ideological and practical.
I don't think it makes sense to cut many of them up.
On the practical side: If you get the bus for scaleweight price, say $200, then spend some time dismantling it, then marketing and shipping the parts, THEN storing or disposing of the remains... Can you sell it for more than say, $2000? Say you net $2000. Do you have 50-100 hours in the effort? I mean, start to finish, one long week, or 2 long full time weeks to make $2000. That's $20/ hr and you took the risk. You might make LESS. This is all best case scenario.
I feel it's just not that attractive as a business venture.
More likely, you end up with a bunch of half cut up carcasses, or semi valuable parts, that you have to store and continue to try to sell.Then where do you put the stuff? Just plant a garden, much better odds of a good outcome.
I'd rather buy the car, clean and fix the tires, brakes and motor, sell it quick for $1800.
Let a starry eyed person learn about fixing rusted sills.
Actually, on a few, I have fixed the floor, left the sills rusty for the next owner to restore.
Al

Sometimes the no title issue is enough for me. I have my own set of hoops to jump through already. Plus i can fully dismantle a bus in a day & haul the carcass off to the scrapper.
I don't like trying to sell buses without titles either. I use most of the parts on other buses i'm fixing up & don't have to pay crazy prices for the parts.
I'm going to be fixing another 72 up very soon, and just look at the price for lets say a turn signal switch. Bam! bus just paid for itself already & the spare engine is running, waiting to go in the next bus
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I came across this beauty while vacationing on Kauai last month. It's really nice except for the telephone pole sized dent in the A-pillar.
I spoke with the neighbour who said that if I wanted it, I could probably buy it. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to get it home to Vancouver Island, or to fix it, so I have to take a pass.
If anyone is interested, send me a pm. I do have what I believe is the owner's name and number but I don't want to post it up here since I don't know if the bus is actually for sale.
Cheers
Marek

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1979 VW bus, 2L FI, now with a rivi top
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek wrote:
Hi everyone, I came across this beauty while vacationing on Kauai last month. It's really nice except for the telephone pole sized dent in the A-pillar.
I spoke with the neighbour who said that if I wanted it, I could probably buy it. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to get it home to Vancouver Island, or to fix it, so I have to take a pass.
If anyone is interested, send me a pm. I do have what I believe is the owner's name and number but I don't want to post it up here since I don't know if the bus is actually for sale.
Cheers
Marek

Ha! That bus is in Hanapepe, Kauai. Too bad it's all bus. Hope the drivers ok.
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Found this Champagne Edition Westy local to me. Body and frame were in great shape for a Bus that looks like it was pulled out of the woods.Too far gone for me, maybe someone here will snag it. Located in Bensenville, IL

Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek wrote:
Cheers
Marek

It's my feeling that if you find the right body man with a frame rack, $3-500 and a door and a windshield could get this straight enough to drive. Maybe some hundreds more to straighten the nose.
You could do it at home with chains, weld on pull tabs, a porta power with a pull cylinder, and a tree. (BIG TREE. Or even better 2 trees, 20 feet apart.) And quite a few hours!
Be careful of Hawaiian cars, or any seacoast cars for that matter. Salt air is really bad on the window openings. Start pulling on the windshield opening and you might find it to be mostly bondo. If the nose was all perfect metal, it would be better straightened than replaced.
all this amateurs want to weld on a nose and end up with something way worse than just straightening a dented nose.
With a stud welder/ puller or the Spitznagel slide hammer puller, one can do great repairs without causing a lot of trauma to the adjacent panels. Removing the headlight buckets also is another good way to hammer and dolly some nose damage within 15 inches of the headlights.
Al
Vanagons:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

RidinRetro1973 wrote:
Found this Champagne Edition Westy local to me. Body and frame were in great shape for a Bus that looks like it was pulled out of the woods.Too far gone for me, maybe someone here will snag it. Located in Bensenville, IL

I love that the crappy chrome headlight eyebrows have rusted to the point they now match the paint color on the bus.
spencersk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
westcoastmarek wrote:
Cheers
Marek

Ha! That bus is in Hanapepe, Kauai. Too bad it's all bus. Hope the drivers ok.

Yup, that's the one! Great little town on a beautiful island...
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^ I am curious, you said you talked with the neighbor, and you maybe have the correct phone number for the bus's owner. But you walked all around his bus taking photos and you are sharing them here for any and all to see? I really hope you got somebody's permission to do this.

Also, I agree that Hanapepe is a very cool place. I really want to surf on Hanalei(sp?) Bay again someday, too.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ I am curious, you said you talked with the neighbor, and you maybe have the correct phone number for the bus's owner. But you walked all around his bus taking photos and you are sharing them here for any and all to see? I really hope you got somebody's permission to do this.

Also, I agree that Hanapepe is a very cool place. I really want to surf on Hanalei(sp?) Bay again someday, too.

Right wrong or indifferent - they are all relative. Wink

The dude may have gave a shart and chased him off, He may of gave a shart and not chased him off, he may of not gave a shart but chased him off because its his property, he may of not gave a shart and let him look at the bus...... Maybe he found some mail in the street and went to return it on the porch - on the way there he saw a "bus" and took some shots of it as he exited the property?

Dude I chase fuckers off all the time that see a cool VWDub - then get close only to realize I have a clean - un neglected ride. Hoping to score the "barn find". Its part of the deal. Like talking to the guy at the gas pump that tells you he used to own a 66 van with a Porsche motor in it Rolling Eyes Laughing And tells you that your bug is nice when you are clearly driving a 1977 Westfalia Camper. I know you know Razz

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I agree, it seems cheeky. But I suppose it depends a lot on the feeling the neighbor gave him. Communities like some Hawaiians the neighbors are like family and could very well be. But even so, just because the neighbors say "SURE" , is not quite permission to show it to millions of people on the internet.
Al
Vanagons:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

The dude may have gave a shart and chased him off, He may of gave a shart and not chased him off, he may of not gave a shart but chased him off because its his property, he may of not gave a shart and let him look at the bus...... Maybe he found some mail in the street and went to return it on the porch - on the way there he saw a "bus" and took some shots of it as he exited the property?

Dude I chase fuckers off all the time that see a cool VWDub - then get close only to realize I have a clean - un neglected ride. Hoping to score the "barn find". Its part of the deal. Like talking to the guy at the gas pump that tells you he used to own a 66 van with a Porsche motor in it Rolling Eyes Laughing And tells you that your bug is nice when you are clearly driving a 1977 Westfalia Camper. I know you know Razz

If someone did a walk around of my bus, on my property, while I was not home, without my permission, then posted photos of it online with the license plate showing and the name of my small town in the description, I would be royally pissed.

But my bug isn't a westy. Wink
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Me too, but not for the shot of my plate. Laughing

Folks just get excited when they see a pOp tOp bug Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
notchboy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

If someone did a walk around of my bus, on my property, while I was not home, without my permission, then posted photos of it online with the license plate showing and the name of my small town in the description, I would be royally pissed.

But my bug isn't a westy. Wink

True, I didn't have the owner's permission and I don't actually know who I was talking to (neighbour, friend, business partner, spouse...) but the fellow was standing on what looked like the same property (in front of the carport) and I did ask if i could walk around and take pics and was told to go ahead. I sometimes forget that the US is more trigger happy than Canada, so I guess I do have to be more careful next time Confused

As far as posting them here, I've never asked the owner of a bus permission to post pics here or on Fbook. BTW, I purposely didn't post the location of that bus, at least not until another poster identified the location...
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek wrote:
I sometimes forget that the US is more trigger happy than Canada, so I guess I do have to be more careful next time Confused

As far as posting them here, I've never asked the owner of a bus permission to post pics here or on Fbook. BTW, I purposely didn't post the location of that bus, at least not until another poster identified the location...

Trigger happy? Interesting take on the subject. I never thought of protecting private property rights as being trigger happy.

You are right, you never did ID the location, only ratified it.

This may be no big deal to some, but I have a hard time with it. It has nothing to do with VW's either, just privacy.
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
westcoastmarek wrote:
I sometimes forget that the US is more trigger happy than Canada, so I guess I do have to be more careful next time Confused

Trigger happy? Interesting take on the subject. I never thought of protecting private property rights as being trigger happy.

You are right, you never did ID the location, only ratified it.

This may be no big deal to some, but I have a hard time with it. It has nothing to do with VW's either, just privacy.

so, you got permission from the owner of the bus below to take these pics, with the licence plate showing, and post them up here, right??

1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 100

Jump to: