Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank filler hose FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

You should be able to get up in there if you channel your inner contortionist. But, depending on how the hose clamps are laid out, it may be more difficult to tighten them up proper. Obviously the more you can remove from your engine compartment (carb, heater fan, etc), the easier it will be to get up in there. Don't forget to limber up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bminorguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

There is a good you tube video on replacing rubber elbow. Not sure how to add a link, but search "replacing the fuel filler neck in a VW bus".
vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes Sprinter fuel hose Reply with quote

GratefulGerman wrote:
Just replaced the fuel hose and the elbow filler neck.

Some pics to show you the solution with the mercedes fuel hose.

long and short fuel pipe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

filler neck a little cracky after 35 years

fuel hoses in comparison. The mercedes hose is a little bit shorter but fits just fine

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/Rotdorn/P1010066.jpg

fuel hose installed

I bought this mercedes part for 8,22 euros, a decent price I think.

Before I go chasing round Mercedes dealer parts departments here in the UK, how did this hose last, as we are now 6 years on?
Thank you.
vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
here are pics of filler hose
i took the OG filler hose with me to muffler shop & asked for exhaust tube with same bend as hose ($15)
then added 1ft strait filler hose ($20)cut into 2 pieces
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

We can get the same Gates hose (23936) that you used here in the UK at a reasonable price.
How well did this hose last 8 years on?
Thank you.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

Just a heads up if anyone's thinking of going with the Sprinter hose anytime soon.

I was at the local Freightliner/Sprinter dealer earlier today -- who had to order it in for me, defeating the purpose of going there -- and the guy at the parts counter told me that there's only 23 of them in the US Freightliner/Mercedes parts channel right now. Get 'em while you can...?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Just a heads up if anyone's thinking of going with the Sprinter hose anytime soon.

I was at the local Freightliner/Sprinter dealer earlier today -- who had to order it in for me, defeating the purpose of going there -- and the guy at the parts counter told me that there's only 23 of them in the US Freightliner/Mercedes parts channel right now. Get 'em while you can...?

Check your local Dodge dealer...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

I got this one on Ebay in August from the Tasca Chrysler Dodge dealer in Westerly, Rhode Island for something like $20 delivered.

It is a good fit, but it seems to be about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the original hose.
kleinevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience with the bus depot hose?

http://www.busdepot.com/211201125
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

Just ordered 2 of the MB part. This job is on deck for next month. Good to have a spare. Thanks for posting!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

so lets sum this up:

the size of hose you need is 2 1/4"
early bays up to 73 use a sraight length of NAPA NBH1055
mid bays 73-76 use NBH1056; the one with the 45deg bend*
late bays use a short piece of NBH1055 or the MB hose 9014760026; also available (and i assume, much cheaper) through dodge.

*i have installed the 1056 hose multiple times and it can be made a very good fit with a SLIGHT angle cut at the tank end.
other options for mid bays are the later metal fill pipe and a short piece of 2 1/4" or the MB part.
or having an exhaust elbow made and used in conjunction with two short 2 1/4" pieces or MB part.
**there is also a NAPA hose NBH1057 that has a 90deg bend in it that i do not have any experience with.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

kleinevw wrote:
Does anybody have any experience with the bus depot hose?

http://www.busdepot.com/211201125

It looks to me like it is the NAPA 1056 hose with the slight angle cut already made in it, I would guess that it would work fine.

Their hose for the later Bays appears to be the Dodge/MB hose, it too should work fine.

A radiator hose pick would help in getting either of these hoses in place.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

Anyone using the bus depot $35 or aircooled.net $75 versions of the bent tube? They look alike, but big difference in price. May go with the Napa tube if still available.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

I see the Napa 1056 online at $39.99. Looks to be about the same minus being precut. Would like to know if anyone has used either hose.
I think I would opt for the Napa one that way I get to cut the shape of the hose to perhaps get it to fit to MY liking.

If I can't get any opinions on this hose, I'll just opt to the muffler shop route.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

I went with the Napa 1056 with the 45 degree angle. Had to make an angled cut on the tank end. Mine had a slight kink due to the angle so I stuffed the spring that came with the OG hose to minimize the kink. Pretty easy, the angled cut is the only hard thinking part because you've only one shot at it.

Did you find a solution for the 90 degree vent tube on top of the tank?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose Reply with quote

sestino wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

I got this one on Ebay in August from the Tasca Chrysler Dodge dealer in Westerly, Rhode Island for something like $20 delivered.

It is a good fit, but it seems to be about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the original hose.

I just got it from Tasca via Ebay as well, for the same price. No fuss, came super quick, too.

Installed:

My new elbow, too!

1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

I did this exact install myself on my 76 while I resealed my gas tank, etc. But now I have have a strong fuel odor in my garage that I didn't have before. My tank also will only accept approx 5gal of fuel before it overflows out of the filler neck at the gas station. I replaced all the fuel and vent lines, however I'm wondering if there is some sort of vent related to the filler tube that I am missing. My bus does not have the charcoal canister (deleted by PO) and is running a progressive carb.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Your tank has to vent somehow. If the charcoal canister was removed and the small vent hoses plugged off then the tank can not vent via its normal and proper means.

If the original hoses were just left dangling then the tank may have vented all right until bees deposited their eggs in the tubes and stuffed the tubes full of mud.
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

Hahahaha. Very possible. Although the tubes from the top of the tank are still
In place. They are continuous until they reach the T in the engine bay where it is unattached. It had vented fine prior to my tank/hose refurbish so idk. Maybe they need to be blown out with compressed air?
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

My ‘72 has the charcoal canister removed by a PO. The two vent lines on the tank were left unconnected where they would’ve met at the canister. I had a similar issue where fill ups were real slow. The vent on the top middle of the tank (the larger diameter one that goes to the filler neck via) was plugged. The small vents are not enough to vent during fill ups. Check to see if the middle vent is plugged.

KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank filler hose FAQ Reply with quote

My tank does not have that vent outlet in the center of the tank. Good to know that once you had it vented, it filled better. At least it seems like I'm on the right track pursuing venting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: