Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snap-ring tool?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Need something to disassemble some hydraulic lifters. The snap-rings are smaller than wrist-pin clips.

Source?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Years ago I bought a set of snap ring pliers from Napa. They do internal and external, plus the tips are changeable. You can do really small, medium, or big that work well for swing axle side gear snaprings. They have both straight tips and 90*.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PC-MINI-MINIATURE-SIZE-I...SwmtJXax4s
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-in-1-Snap-Ring-Plier...SwHnFV3LgC
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=snap+ring+tool

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a better set. Snap rings are obnoxious the deal with but with good pliers they aren't too bad at all. Worth the money in frustrating alone.

Look at the Leslie pliers at O'Riley or Napa. Stay away from the kind with changeable heads, there are too many pivot points in them. The set I have has an open and a closed plier and interchangeable tips.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

:oops:never had much long term luck with "One size fits all" snap ring kits.

I bought them as I needed them from snap on and never looked back

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

if you do the harborfright ones I would torch them and then quench quickley to harden the tips....unless thier newer ones are better than thier older ones. I have 2 sets of thiers and a set of snappons there identickle execpt for color, fit&finish..and hardness. my snappon set is.....atleast 30 years old bought new by me. the harborfright sets I got to have hear at the house.... now all 3 sets are hear.& a few more sets... the cheep ones are nice incase you need to modify some and dont want to effup a $100+ set.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Great tip Mark. Thanks.

Max
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

If you've been around for a while, you've no doubt tried grinding a tip onto a set of needle nose pliers when the tips break off the cheap snap on or KD "snap ring" pliers. Sorry but they're just junk. Cry once/ buy once and invest in some Knipex brand snap ring pliers. Bonus, they're made in germany, so they'll get along with the project. There are several dozen different sizes and styles, but not a one size fits all model. I picked a 4 piece set from amazon, and have added a half dozen as needed. There is a super small set, I mean microscopic pointy tips that might do well for the lifter clips.
Alternatively, my wife is a silversmith, and has several sets of small pointy pliers, I think called "bail forming" or something. I've grabbed them to remove the snap rings from the CB lightweight lifters in a pinch.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

I think my snappon set was a ...8 or 10 peice set...possiably 11 and.. no breaks Shocked and not cheep either. even heatreeting the cheep ones there not as good or as hard. but should do.
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Max... have not been on here for a bit,, my 2 cents... Buy the exact snap ring tool for the job off a too truck. or may MSC supply.. good tools are worth there$
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Dang Art. Yes it has been a while!

Yes, I will probably wind up on MSCs site.

The too truck doesn't come by my house. Wink

Max
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Dang Art. Yes it has been a while!

Yes, I will probably wind up on MSCs site.

The too truck doesn't come by my house. Wink

Max

Ya too trucks are cool... so are tool trucks
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

I vote Snap-On. Been working great for years.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

Snap-on is the way to go bought mine over 30 yrs ago and used the heck out of them when I was young less often now. they are the sh!?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

few things are more frustrating than trying to use a snap ring pliers with the wrong size tips and everything is covered in oil
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Snap-ring tool? Reply with quote

stanovich wrote:
Snap-on is the way to go bought mine over 30 yrs ago and used the heck out of them when I was young less often now. they are the sh!?

Maybe they were better 30 years ago.
The set I bought maybe 7-8 years ago were obviously stamped/ pressed steel, and the pivot was cheesy and weak. The ends snapped one set at a time.
Look at the Knipex brands stuff, you can see that they are nicely made
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: