Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No left turn signal on my 57 0val
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Robichaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 57 oval and have no left turn signal....
Getting tired if sticking my arm out the window......not really but I still want it fixed...
I've got good bulbs front and rear.... What else should I look for?

Signed
Oval new bee
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

There are several things it could be......
#1. Inspect the wiring at the turn signal switch then move to under the deck lid.
#2. Is there power going to the turn signal? Check it with a test light.
#3. Does the bullet have a good ground? You can test this by using an alligator clip and try grounding the housing to someplace you know is a good ground, i.e. A fender bolt.
The last one is what I ran into with my freshly restored oval, I wasn't getting a good ground because everything was painted.

Let us know how you make out.
Rob Robichaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.....

Yes I do have power to the switch.... But the ground check is a good call.
Will check that next .

Thank you again
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

Hey guys, not trying to hijack but thought it'd be nice to keep this all in the same thread. My 57 is having the same issue where my right turn signal works but the left does not. I took apart the front and rear lamp assemblies and cleaned all the wires and contact; no dice. I took the signal switch off the steering column and inspected it...looked fine to me so I put it back together. Is it possible the relay is causing the issue? I took a look at the wiring and it looks like the signal which illuminates is controlled by the steering column switch and not the relay so I thought that might let me count the relay out as the problem? Thanks for the help!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

Is it both the front and rear turn signal that do not work?

1.I would start with a test light and see if there is power going into the turn signal sending unit.
2. I would then check to see if power is coming out of the turn signal sending unit.
3. If that checks out it could be the wiring or the bulb holders. I had a rear bulb holder that failed and would cause a fuse/ground issue.

If I had to guess I would say it's the turn signal relay if you are having the issue with both front and rear signals.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
My 57 is having the same issue where my right turn signal works but the left does not.

Is it possible the relay is causing the issue?

Not likely.

Find a hot wire at your fuse holder. Use a jumper wire to connect power to the multi-wire junction that connects the turn signal switch to the individual turn signal lights. You can test each bulb to see if the wiring is intact. Expect either bad wire connections or bad grounds at each of the bulbs as the source of your problem. If that does not solve it then you probably have an issue with the turn signal switch. The flasher only flashes, it doesn't control left or right functions but it is only able to do its job properly if it has those two bulbs wired up properly.
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No left turn signal on my 57 0val Reply with quote

56Island wrote:
Is it both the front and rear turn signal that do not work?

Both the front and rear drivers signals don't work. Not sure if it helps any but I did get it to work for a few seconds at one point but that was it. So it sounds like the relay isn't the issue. I guess I need to look into the bulb holder and switch at this point. On the switch everything was soldered so it seemed like the connections would be fine.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: