Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Before you start cleaning a vehicle that has signs of Rodents. Please watch this short video and take the appropriate precautions!

Link

http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Hantavirus Reply with quote

Yuck Exclamation
Tcash
I have a good friend that lives in Saratoga in a 2.5 million dollar home with a
6 car garage and a machine shop in another room.
He is an old car collector with 3 old model A's A model T and 4 old Mercedes including a gull wing and a 1936 jaguar.

He also loves animals and would never think of killing anything so, occasionally he will bait and trap the Rats that are the size of a cat and take them down the hill to a creek and release them.

The last time I saw him his wife had just passed away so we took him out
to the Brewery in L.G. and had a good meal.

His wife died of Hantavirus at 68 yrs.

His garage and shop are full of rats eating all the electrical wiring on all his cars and even ate through Romex going to the lights in the garage.

The floors are covered in rat droppings from one end to the other.
It's really sad to see and VERY scary too.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you posted this. I just cleaned up a huge mess in my Buggy. The wondered why I took all the precautions. Now she understands. I hate Mice...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:
I hate Mice...

You hate mice and your name is "Ratt" ????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Ratt wrote:
I hate Mice...

He likes the band?
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Ratt wrote:
I hate Mice...

He likes the band?

Ratt due to the fact the last name is Rattley. And the yes I love 80s Hair Metal. Additionnaly let me clarify, I hate mice that chose to make there homes where I have to clean. I used to have a pet rat, and a few dozen mice when I was younger, none of ehich took up residence in any vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The virus is a killer. I have looked at a few cars here in the region and by golly I have scene signs of what could be a nasty situation. Shy away from the area.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixall and oatmeal. Mixed dry and place in a bowl.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad mouse nest problem in my bus when I got it. I used Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer to get rid of the smell.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Skoolieman wrote:
Buy a product called bac-a-zap. I work in pest control and it is what the pros use to rid dead animal, urine and skunk smells. Just spray it on and leave it, there is a bacteria that breaks down the doors.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

After reading this, I started looking into how to clean up my rolling rats nest. Reading information on Bac-a-zap, there is no mention of it being a disinfectant. A PDF from the US Army says to soak area with Lysol or chlorine/water solution or a bleach/water solution.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Funny I saw this...my partner and I have been helping his mother do some upgrades to her home recently, as she's never owned a home before and totally neglected it for the past several years. It got to the point where we didn't like staying there anymore because of the state of the place. She lives kind of out in the country on a big lot that's rarely been mowed. Because her husband has some sort of moral objection to spending money (you should have seen his face when she bought an appliance suite because her fridge, dishwasher, and microwave were all broken) they have never, ever had pest control come.

I found mouse droppings on top of every single light fixture I removed. I found nearly a cup of mouse droppings on top of the old hood microwave. I found 6 dead mice under the dishwasher. She had set traps...but never checked them. Mouse droppings in every single drawer in the kitchen.

The Orkin guy is coming tomorrow, and I wonder what he's gonna recommend. They've supposedly had an infestation for the entire time they've lived there--around 10 years. Does anyone know if there is some sort of decontamination process they would want to go through, specifically for the attic? I replaced light fixtures in every room of the house and there were droppings on all of them.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

This is what I found.
http://www.aschq.army.mil/supportingdocs/ASC%20Hantavirus%20Procedures%20(Encl%201).pdf

The link doesn't work when pasted here, look up hantavirus clean up procedure & go to the US Army one.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

'Barn Cats' = 'No Mice'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

Quote:

More info please! Do they shrivel up and dry out when they die like the poisons, or stink for a few days when they rot
I hate rodents, all kinds, hate 'em all Evil or Very Mad
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Quote:

More info please! Do they shrivel up and dry out when they die like the poisons, or stink for a few days when they rot
I hate rodents, all kinds, hate 'em all Evil or Very Mad

Dead rodents are sometimes worse than live ones. The fleas and other parasites will migrate to you or your pet.

Hantavirus is big around here. But I've never heard of anyone local being sick. Just flagstaff people (and they are weird so who cares?). I do wear a respirator now.... mouse poop makes me sneeze like mad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: