Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

It's okay to know backspace on a wheel but I think knowing the offset is a lot more helpful. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
It's okay to know backspace on a wheel but I think knowing the offset is a lot more helpful. Cool

I cant be absolute certain but 25mm keeps coming up for these particular wheels
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Anyone using Vw "sport" rims (similar to 914 and sunbug) on their ghias? I recently acquired a set, and wanted to kind of get an idea on how they would look - and reading about different offsets wanted to make sure there were no issues in using them. And If anything I'll just put them on my beetle.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

According to this...different offset for porsche and vw.

Quote:
They were the standard wheel in the mid-late seventies, typically 4.5" wide ET41 (I think). Some particular year of the Beetle, 1973 Sun Bug I think, offered 4.5" ET26 rims with a more deep-dish/mag look. The 914 had almost identical wheels as the base for a couple years in the seventies too, but they were 5.5" wide, ET40.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Xx

Last edited by -Zodiac- on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

So I pulled the trigger on the Continental EP 145/65/15 up front..
Small tire I do have to say, and the front beam is now about 4 3/4" off the ground, I had a buddy of mine hop in the car after and it seems like I could fit another Ghia between the tire and fender..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I finally got around to buying the right sized tyres for my Ghia. I previously had 185/60/R15s all round. I had got those tyres cheaply when I needed tyres on the chassis to be able to push it around in the panelbeater's workshop. The 185s caused an under-read on the speedo by about 8-9% and an over-revving by the same margin. For example, at 30 mph on the speedo, the car was actually doing 25.5 mph. And at an estimated 60 mph the engine was revving as if the car was doing 67mph.

I had 165/80/R15 Hankooks fitted this morning and my car feels completely different. It sits an inch (15mm) higher off the ground and the engine revs are now exactly as I recall the sound and power of my early 70s Beetles. Previously at 35mph 3rd gear felt and sounded like it was at the end of its legs; now third gear feels just right for town traffic.

I tried Hankook 195/70/R15 for the rear wheels but the tyres are just too bulky for the standard 4.5 inch rims.
bhaltom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I have a 1966 Ghia with stock beam and 2-1/2 drop spindles. I'm using 15" empi GT-5 rims.

sactojesse Has been very helpful in his suggesting and even pm me.
One of his suggestions was to go with 155/60 15. After reading this entire post more times than I should say I'm going to try the 155/60 15 tires. Looks like others have had luck with those tires and close to my setup. I want the biggest tires possible without rubbing.

Any other suggestion or confirmation that you used 155/60 15 would be great. I'll post the results for others as well.
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I am going nuts and VERY CONFUSED reading all the different post about tire size.
I am running a stock suspension. I am going to put on 8 spoke alum wheels, 5.5 wide x 15 with a 4.5 backspace. What size tire is recommended with out any problem ?
Thanks for any and all help.
Karl
P.S. it is a autostick
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

hansie wrote:
Hi Guys
I am going nuts and VERY CONFUSED reading all the different post about tire size.
I am running a stock suspension. I am going to put on 8 spoke alum wheels, 5.5 wide x 15 with a 4.5 backspace. What size tire is recommended with out any problem ?
Thanks for any and all help.
Karl
P.S. it is a autostick

If you're running a stock beam setup, then you have many options,I wouldn't go anymore than 185's though...this is a common tire size, I might suggest going around to a few garages and see if they have any lying around for recycling..They will look at you funny, but for 10 or so bucks, they will mount them on your wheels and then you can know for sure before you buy brand new ones..I did this with my Bus
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

thanks for the help fes will try that. Does anyone else have any ideas ?
bhaltom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I have a 1966 Ghia with stock beam and 2-1/2 drop spindles in the front. I'm using 15" empi GT-5 rims. I ended up using 155-60 15 front tires.

I can confirm with this setup front does not rub and looks great! Hope this info helps others.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Running Mendeloa Front end , tested some 17x9" twist wheels I had and they fitted, cant turn but they fit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I am no expert in 17" rims but i would roll your fenders and get as low of profile tires as possible but stop before they look stupid, like rubber bands! Tire size calculators (with a visual) help a ton. But you probably knew about that! I would run a staggered tire set up if you are running stock gear ratios: big tires in the rear (for gearing) and low profile up front (turning and better looks IMHO because Ghias have small fronts and large rears. Staggered setups appear to balance those proportions)

Now what really got my attention, that front suspension! Tthat is a work of art! How does it feel verses the stock suspension!?! Does it make it feel like a light weight modern sports car (Miata?) That lost a few hundred pounds, or........? Cool to see someone convert! Looking forward to see what you will do with it!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Here's a link to the work so far done. http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=86352
I haven't got to drive the car yet as at painters in final stage before paint.

The wheels fitted are not what I am running. They are some 17" Turbo twist wheels I had on a bug. The front in the photo were 9" wide and they fitted... couldn't turn but who cares!. The wheels I'll run will be 17x7" Front and 17x8.5" rear . I'm running 3 piece Porsche twist wheels.

Last edited by alansvwTwinCab on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab, what size motor are you planning to bolt to this work of art, and how are you planning on using this car ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I have a 2180cc with 48IDAs , Porsche fan housing and a custom built twin exhaust system going in.
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Update after a long TS break... Reply with quote

Shaqyb7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if you guys can help me , I'm new to the classic vw scene and had my KG for around 10 months now , slowly been restoring it.

Just after some advice on tyre size for my ghia.

I currently have 135/70/15 (4.5" rim) on the fronts and 165/85/15 (5.5" rim) on the rears.

I prefer the classic look on the front end so I wanted to go with a tyre with a slightly bigger side wall. And the rear tyres are close to the arch and afraid it will rub once lowered.

The car is on dropped spindles and I will be lowering the rear a spline soon.

Was thinking maybe 145/65/15 or 155/65/15 for the fronts.
And the rears 165/65/15

What do you guys think? here are some pics.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I can tell you from experience that 135s and 145s SUCK. IF you ever need to make a hard stop they will lock up instantly and skid. Go for a wider tires in the front, at least as wide as a 165.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 30

Jump to: