Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

88 thick wall cylinders
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

I have a 1600cc type 3 in a two seat Sandrail. Just did a leak down test and it returned 20% 42% 32% and 47% leak down. Tried to locate the leak and it seems to be coming from where the head meets the cylinder wall. The last time I put rings in it was approximately 10 years ago. I made sure the heads were torqued to spec. And the nuts did not even move. So I'm thinking its time for a tear down. I want to avoid splitting the case since nothing grenaded down low, but I do want more power. I saw some thick wall 88 cylinders online. I've been reading and hearing about staying away from thin walls. The ad states that the head must be machined for 90.5/92 and you leave the case the same at 85.5. What are your thoughts? Are these any good? Hoping I can get a little more power without splitting the case and having that machined also.

Thanks
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Its a GREAT way to go. Machine in 88's, refering to machining head side. 1679, beautifully 4.5mm thick, which is thicker then stock 85.5's even.

Thickness at the cylinder tops:

The new 92 mm from AA (4.55 mm)
Modern machine-in 88 mm (4.5 mm)
Stock 85.5 mm (4.15 mm)
Modern 90.5 mm (3.75 mm)
94s mm (3.55 mm)
87 mm slip-ins (3.4 mm)

Old 90.5 mm (3.25)
Old 92 mm (3.0 mm)
88 mm slip-ins (2.9 mm)
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Cool. That's what I was hoping to hear. Is the top part of the cylinder the important part since the bottom part that goes into the case will be thin?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

I switched to the 88's Thin Bottom Thick top cylinders and have put them on 3 rebuilds now. The thing you got to watch with them is when you install the pistons. The metal is so thin at the bottom it split on me just slipping in the pistons with the rings on them, best to install them from the top but you can get away installing them from the bottom if very careful and don't bang on them using gentle force and don't use a Napa Chepo Ring Compressor. Use something like this one Ring Compressor.

Another thing that happened with the 88's is one set came to me that had not been properly clearanced where the fin's between the two cylinders come close when installed. It broke the fins and cracked the cylinders on mine.

Also I am getting some oil usage on one set About a 1/2 qrt every 600 miles. Not sure what is causing this it gets a lot worse on a long freeway run. 1/2 qrt per hour. But I think they are a good product once installed properly and working.

Broken installing rings from the bottom:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't use this type of ring compressor and don't use a rubber mallot:

Here is where the fins hit and that cracked the cylinders on 3 of them. Started the engine and the cylinders were leaking oil through the side of the cylinders after this happened.

These are the one's on my bus engine that is using oil:

m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Is there a brand I should buy or a brand I should stay away from?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

I think the only ones that are slip in at the case and thick walls are the AA Performance VW8800T1K set. There probably are some forged thick wall 88's machine in at the case that would be better but in other brands and much more expensive. But if your going to do that just go to the Mahle 90.5 Forged ones.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

I am in the process of building an 1849 cc w/ 88's and a 76mm crank. Haven't got it completed yet so I have no real good advice, but I will post here once I get it together and in.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

The 88's as the 85.5's and 87's are a little tricky to install on a stroked motor because the small piston diameter does not clear the rods. So you will be trimming your pistons a bit. With a 76mm stroke you may be better off going to 90.5 Pistons & Cylinders. It will be intresting to see how much trim they will need on a 76mm stroke.
These were trimmed for a 74mm stroke engine.

m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Ok so I decided I'm going to go ahead and get the 88's. This is my first top end rebuild on a vw that isn't a stock 1600. I've spent the last couple days cleaning all the sand and grease off the outside of my heads. Now Is the next step is to get the heads machined for 88? Should I order my pistons and cylinders so I can take them with when I have the heads machined? Also are stock heads going to be ok with this engine size?
Thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

m.abbadessa wrote:
Also are stock heads going to be ok with this engine size?

I've used stock heads (opened up, of course) with my 1835cc engine since back in 1976, work fine. Also have single Weber carb on it.

Who in Phoenix area is going to do your machine work?

Bolting together would be same as for stock.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

when you bore the heads (to 92mm register, for the 88mm TW P&Cs), that is the time to also flycut the heads (if needed) for the proper compression ratio for the cam you are going to run. Run the #s and see what head cc you need to get that CR, using a .055" deck height. Have the shop bore and flycut to that spec.

Also, I think trying to put the pistons on, then a compressor and sliding the cylinder on while on the engine, is the wrong way to do it. Simply put the piston into the cylinder on the bench, slide the piston up so the pin is exposed. Then RTV the cylinder base, and put the UNIT on. Put the pin and clip in place, and slide it home.

Do NOT make the rookie mistake of taking the new P&Cs, sliding the piston down enough to put the pin out/in, and assemble. You need to completely remove the piston to clean all the abrasive out of the piston and cylinder walls, it's extensive.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I have a stock cam in there as far as I know. What compression ratio should I set it at? I'm also contemplating putting some ratio rockers in. Which ones would you reccomend if I went this route? And is this something I can do later or should it be done while setting my conpression ratio?
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
m.abbadessa wrote:

I've used stock heads (opened up, of course) with my 1835cc engine since back in 1976, work fine. Also have single Weber carb on it.

I haven't picked anyone yet. I'm going to call around. Is there someone you would reccomend?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

m.abbadessa wrote:
Cusser wrote:
m.abbadessa wrote:

I haven't picked anyone yet. I'm going to call around. Is there someone you would reccomend?

VW Performance

3865 N 38th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85019

(602) 442-8997
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Its a GREAT way to go. Machine in 88's, refering to machining head side. 1679, beautifully 4.5mm thick, which is thicker then stock 85.5's even.

Thickness at the cylinder tops:

Stock 83 mm (5.40 mm)

Stock 85.5 mm (4.15 mm)
87 mm slip-ins (3.4 mm)
Modern machine-in 88 mm (4.5 mm)
Modern 90.5 mm (3.75 mm)
The new 92 mm from AA (4.55 mm)
94s mm (3.55 mm)

Old 90.5 mm (3.25)
Old 92 mm (3.0 mm)
88 mm slip-ins (2.9 mm)

Just thought I'd add the 83's to the list (which I also took the liberty of re-arranging from smallest to largest, 'cause I'm anal like that). I happened to have some down time, so I dug my old, original German, stock 1500cc, 83 mm cylinders out of the basement and measured the wall thickness.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a HUGE fan of the 83's. Over half a centimeter of iron- that's almost obscene! It's also the reason I've got a set of 83's in my current mill.

The ones I dug out of the basement, I got them used, and I put a little over 160,000 HARD miles on them, including three cross-country trips (one to Alaska and back); they've been over-heated, dropped, fins broken off; nearly three decade's worth of abuse, and they're still less than 0.001" out-of-round! How much less, I have no idea because my measuring instruments aren't very accurate below 0.001". They might even be as low as 0.0001" out, as far as I can tell, and that's impressive in my book.

It's just a damn shame you can't really get them anymore. I had to go all the way down to Brasil to get mine, and they were twice as expensive as a set of AA's, but if these Cofaps are anywhere near as tough as the old OG's, they'll be worth every penny.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

It's just a damn shame you can't really get them anymore. I had to go all the way down to Brasil to get mine, and they were twice as expensive as a set of AA's, but if these Cofaps are anywhere near as tough as the old OG's, they'll be worth every penny.

They are not. If you want the same type of durability out of them you need to cryo treat them, rehone and give them a better set of rings. Search the classifieds for a set of Gφttsche rings. That would be killer, but they are hard to find these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

That's a shame. Oh well, I treat these Brazilian jugs nice and they've done pretty well over the past eight years. I've got about 40K miles on them, and they still had less than 1% deviation on the compression test I did last summer. They were all bang on 155 psi.

The rings are Total Seal, though. Hopefully that'll make a difference.

P.S. Cryo treatment! Why didn't I think of that?!!
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

m.abbadessa wrote:
Ok so I decided I'm going to go ahead and get the 88's. This is my first top end rebuild on a vw that isn't a stock 1600. I've spent the last couple days cleaning all the sand and grease off the outside of my heads. Now Is the next step is to get the heads machined for 88? Should I order my pistons and cylinders so I can take them with when I have the heads machined? Also are stock heads going to be ok with this engine size?
Thanks

Have those heads checked out really well. I would plan for new exhaust guides and exhaust valves. Also a great time for a good 3 angle seat cut and back cut on the valves. The gain is worth the effort. What carb(s) are you running?
How’s the crankshaft end play? I’d mock up the new piston set and check deck height before machining the heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 88 thick wall cylinders Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The 88's as the 85.5's and 87's are a little tricky to install on a stroked motor because the small piston diameter does not clear the rods. So you will be trimming your pistons a bit. With a 76mm stroke you may be better off going to 90.5 Pistons & Cylinders. It will be intresting to see how much trim they will need on a 76mm stroke.
These were trimmed for a 74mm stroke engine.
.........................................................……………………………………………………………………...hi I am doing a 74x 88 thick wall motor can you please point out to me where at on the piston .you had to trim to make them clear the rods. it hard tom tell from your photos . if I had the crank out of the motor I could see where its hitting thank you spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: