Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Expertise for KG Projects
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: 3D Expertise for KG Projects Reply with quote

We all know the Karmann Ghia didn't sell in such vast numbers as Beetle and Bus so although the KG survivors are well served with the parts it shared with the Beetle and Bus there are short-run and one year only KG parts that will never be commercially viable for reproduction by the major suppliers.

If short-run parts are made it’s usually by the enthusiastic amateur and although there is a history of fine parts being made, sometimes the funding and handling of orders falls short of professional standards. Sadly one has to accept the risks when dealing with the hobbyist supplier…it doesn’t often go wrong but when it does it’s usually because the product is good and the demand outstrips the amateur's capacity to keep up.

In recent years short-run small items have been made using the home 3D printer but now that the supply of OEM style Karmann Ghia mats has dried up and resurrecting the previous outlet looks more difficult than raising the Titanic, we need to turn our attention to the larger items.

Yes the thorny subject of Karmann Ghia Mats sets should be the first project.

My impression…from my scant knowledge of 3D printing…is that home production of this item is beyond the scope of the home printer. What we need are professional people who can scan and produce a quality product. So this is where you chip-in. We want to hear from you about your knowledge and expertise on this subject.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Expertise for KG Projects Reply with quote

3D printing probably isn't the right choice for making floor mats. This technology is best suited to making three-dimensional parts (like dash knobs, for example) out of rigid materials like ABS plastic rather than wide, thin parts of flexible rubber-like material. Many 3D printed parts that require a cosmetically smooth surface also need post-production finishing which will increase the piece-part cost. It would also take a fairly large, rather expensive printer to make something with the footprint of a Ghia floor mat.

While we're on the subject, I created a SolidWorks CAD model of this cable clip for my Ghia and will gladly supply the STL file (used by the 3D printer) to anyone who might need it. This is one of three clips that hold the engine lid release cable in place inside the engine bay. I believe it's a one-year-only item used only in '67.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The reproduction part is on the right...the other two are originals.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Expertise for KG Projects Reply with quote

I had a very nice set of lightly used Phoenix mats that i picked up at Pomona swap late last year. Dwayne (djway) was telling me I could use them for a pattern to make new mats. I just didnt have the time/space/experience and I guess motivation to give it a go. Embarassed
I ended up selling the mats a little while ago. Early 60's mats , no bulkhead LL stuff. They were nice. A few pics...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: