Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best quality fi fuel filter
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Need to order some spare square fuel injection fuel filters. A few years ago they went NLA for awhile then someone was selling them - just a brown box special and those were splitting as I recall. I bought some Beck Arnley filters but am down to the last one. They aren't expensive to keep a few spares around.

Right now BusDepot has some but I don't know the brand. I can also get them from Rock Auto, and maybe Eric at BugHaus. The brands are whatever BusDepot is buying, Rock Auto has Hasings, Beck Arnley, and WIX.

I do not want the metal filters that will substitute.

Anyone have trouble with any of these brands failing / fittng, or recommendations on what is the best filter?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

I forget the brand, but the ones I have always used are made in Israel (stamped on the side). Just the square plastic stock looking ones.

When I was having whatever previous problem a few years ago I thought might have been fuel filter, I split the old one to find it clean. But my engine only has traveled 6k miles in the last 4 years, plus tuning (tinkering) time.
just looked through my previous BD orders, and I didn't purchase from there, but likely came from either AutohauzAz, gowestyautoparts (RIP) or maybe Amazon.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)

Last edited by aerosurfer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eighty horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
I forget the brand, but the ones I have always used are made in Israel (stamped on the side). Just the square plastic stock looking ones.

Yes, Wix is the brand. BD sells those, rockauto does as well. I asked Colin (amskeptic) about this a couple of weeks ago when he was here and his opinion was that these are the best currently available. And he should know, he's been intimate with them for months.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Eighty horses wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:

Yes, Wix is the brand. BD sells those, rockauto does as well. I asked Colin (amskeptic) about this a couple of weeks ago when he was here and his opinion was that these are the best currently available. And he should know, he's been intimate with them for months.

I had two Beck Arnley ones made in Israel - I gave to Colin last night as he only one left so I wanted to be sure he had a fresh one on it after all the problems. I thought I had four or five left but only have one more of the Beck Arnley one's left. Since we had that spell a few years back where everyone ran out I though I'd buy some to stash. Wix is a good brand on other filters. I should have asked him before he left this morning but sounds like you've already had the conversation with him so I'll just order some of those.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

I used the WIX square filter on my '77 and had no problems. Perfect fit up both in location and hose connections. Also use the WIX brand on my 1987 Westfalia (filter is not the same as the '77) and have had no problems there, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

I bought a few from CIP1 a while back and they don't have a brand name. Just "Made in Taiwan" printed on it and the flow arrow molded into the plastic.

It seems solid. We'll see how long they last.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I used the WIX square filter on my '77 and had no problems. Perfect fit up both in location and hose connections. Also use the WIX brand on my 1987 Westfalia (filter is not the same as the '77) and have had no problems there, either.

another vote for WIX. Thank you. I've pretty much decided to buy a bunch and set them aside. I was just a little paranoid because I didn't know what brand were coming apart at the seam a couple years ago when they went NLA for awhile. Sounds like it wasn't WIX.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

I have had at least (4) 133-133-511 fuel filters in the garage for the last
2-6 years that are (made in Israel)

4 1/2

i never cared from what i see in the difference from the older grey style type-4
as these are white plastic with a thin bead for separation between the 2 halves.
And,They really look Cheap. Twisted Evil

This is the reason vw went from using that worthless filter to the larger
metal filter and eliminated the small 133 133 511 filter and ONLY used the
0450 905 030 filter
FACT # 2016 - ? Rolling Eyes 
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

I only use Wix gold oil filters. If they have a different level for fuel filters as well get the gold. These guys care about quality control!
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Assuming it's the same square filter as on the early Vanagons, then NAPA carries them (most likely the Wix one).

I was pleasantly surprised on my trip down from Canada back in 2011 when I started to have rust-related fueling issues. I stopped in at a NAPA somewhere in Smallfishingtown, Oregon and hopefully inquired. They had three in stock. Lucky me.

NAPA part number 3274:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Fred (BD) wrote and said theirs come from WIX and are made in Taiwan. I wonder who makes the made in Israel ones - I thought those were made by WIX. WIX #33274 and Napa Gold 3274 are supposed to be the same.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

IIRC, the ones I got from NAPA were from Israel.
'course, that was 5 years ago, and manufacturers are known to move their sources around.
'72 Super Beetle

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Fred (BD) wrote and said theirs come from WIX and are made in Taiwan. I wonder who makes the made in Israel ones - I thought those were made by WIX. WIX #33274 and Napa Gold 3274 are supposed to be the same.

I would have bet my last dime that the Wix filters I have on my shelf were made in Israel. Good thing I don't gamble. These are also from Bus Depot, but I probably bought them close to three years ago.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

HeHehe

Boy isn't that a kick. Made in Jordan.

Well I went to Napa tonight and said I want two 3274 filters but before I buy them I'd like to see where they are made. Gal came back with them. Looked and said most unusual - same box lettering part number etc - one was made in Taiwan and one in Israel. The one made in Israel has a sticker like the made in Jordan one. That matches the sticker on the one in the Beck Arnley box. The last made in Israel one I got had it painted or hot stamped onto the plastic. This one is the sticker. So the made in Israel has no really discernible seam and it is really white like the one in the posts above. The made in Taiwan is also opaque but was almost transparent, looked to be a cheaper plastic and had a quite noticeable seam. They are both Wix and Wix is normally a good product. I bought the made in Israel one, brought it home and put it in the smaller Beck Arnley box that I gave Colin a filter from. Back to two spares. I hope others will post in this thread their experience with the made in Taiwan one. Fred said in the -e-mail that they sell a lot of the WIX ones made in Taiwan and none have come back - no complaints. Either should work fine.

I looked uo the number Old DKP posted, It has both the inlet and outlet the same size so it would take an adapter to change the size of the line going between the pump and filter. That is why I did not use that one.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

Here's the one I have from CIP1 made in Taiwan.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

The filter # i posted does indeed have the 2 different hose sizes
The filter 12208 -07711 4 1/2 made in israel 0529......
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

When I bought mine, it was from BD and made in Isreal (it was stamped made in Isreal, not Jordan) Laughing and it had a different size inlet and outlet. Was not aware they were now made elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
The filter # i posted does indeed have the 2 different hose sizes
The filter 12208 -07711 4 1/2 made in israel 0529......

All the images that came up with the part 0450 905 030 had the same size inlet and outlet.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks or I misunderstood the part number suggested as a replacement.

Quote:
This is the reason vw went from using that worthless filter to the larger
metal filter and eliminated the small 133 133 511 filter and ONLY used the
0450 905 030 filter

SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

That larger cylindrical metal one you are showing with the 8mm inlet and outlet is the post-pump filter that VW started to fit to the Vanagons in 1984-ish.

It is meant to be fitted after the pump and is designed to handle the higher fuel pressure. I'm also pretty sure, though I don't have the specs, that it is a finer-mesh filter than the 20-micron pre-pump filter, and so isn't really suitable for a pre-pump application.

VW initially installed both a square pre-pump and a round post-pump filter on the Vanagon while they were still using the fuel tanks with 8mm outlets, because those tanks didn't have internal socks or filters. When they switched to the 12mm-outlet tanks they eliminated the external square pre-pump filter because those tanks had an internal filter, so the external one was superfluous.
'72 Super Beetle

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: best quality fi fuel filter Reply with quote

FWIW, both of my 1981 and my 1987 Vanagons use that big can filter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: