Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek wrote:

so, you got permission from the owner of the bus below to take these pics, with the licence plate showing, and post them up here, right??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, as long as we're going down this road:
1. What is the danger of publishing a pic of a license plate? Is it REALLY possible to use this info like an RFID to find said vehicle while scanning the grid of streets in the known state/ county?
2. Same question regarding the publishing of the VIN. It used to be LAW in California to publish the VIN when offering a vehicle for sale. a lifetime ago I used to go to the public library and scan the ads in the LA Times and other papers. ALL California car ads had the VIN listed.
I assume the thinking was to discourage a seller of a known stolen car from advertising, thus reducing his market.
BTW, I think the illustration shows a Minnesota licensed bus in Montana, so is that less of a privacy issue? More a public service announcement?
I kinda scoff at such worries, but in retrospect am sure that an unaccompanied buyer walked off with some Porsche 912 bumper parts once. Perhaps I am late to the paranoid view, only beginning to lock my doors a few years ago. (and still not locking my shop door!!)
I'm most scared of the people I know.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
westcoastmarek wrote:

so, you got permission from the owner of the bus below to take these pics, with the licence plate showing, and post them up here, right??

Well, as long as we're going down this road:
1. What is the danger of publishing a pic of a license plate? Is it REALLY possible to use this info like an RFID to find said vehicle while scanning the grid of streets in the known state/ county?
2. Same question regarding the publishing of the VIN. It used to be LAW in California to publish the VIN when offering a vehicle for sale. a lifetime ago I used to go to the public library and scan the ads in the LA Times and other papers. ALL California car ads had the VIN listed.
I assume the thinking was to discourage a seller of a known stolen car from advertising, thus reducing his market.
BTW, I think the illustration shows a Minnesota licensed bus in Montana, so is that less of a privacy issue? More a public service announcement?
I kinda scoff at such worries, but in retrospect am sure that an unaccompanied buyer walked off with some Porsche 912 bumper parts once. Perhaps I am late to the paranoid view, only beginning to lock my doors a few years ago. (and still not locking my shop door!!)
I'm most scared of the people I know.
Al

I tend to agree. But its a touchy subject and I also see cdennisg point. Its almost like religion and politics. Some people are very open and want to be friendly and transparent. Others want you to mind your own fucking biz ness. Most are somewhere in between.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

westcoastmarek wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
westcoastmarek wrote:
I sometimes forget that the US is more trigger happy than Canada, so I guess I do have to be more careful next time Confused

As far as posting them here, I've never asked the owner of a bus permission to post pics here or on Fbook. BTW, I purposely didn't post the location of that bus, at least not until another poster identified the location...

Trigger happy? Interesting take on the subject. I never thought of protecting private property rights as being trigger happy.

You are right, you never did ID the location, only ratified it.

This may be no big deal to some, but I have a hard time with it. It has nothing to do with VW's either, just privacy.

Long expired plates, a small town in a very large state with no city identified, and I was standing on the corner of a public intersection (yes, dirt roads) to take the photos.

That said, I would not do it again. I may take photos, but the VW bus world has gotten so cutthroat I would not want to expose anyone to an influx of buyers, genuine or otherwise.

BTW, you really dug deep for that one.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Is that an Arizona Yellow '68? Doesn't look unsalvageable. I'm sorta falling in love with that color. Almost got the wife convinced to put it on my '68.

I think the trigger happy reference was speaking to the much higher incidence of gun violence in the US than Canada (or any country afaik).

Why are people so concerned about violating someone's privacy by posting a picture of their VW? Is there really a worry that a VW owner might have a violent confrontation as a result of a picture on The Samba?

I'm as big a privacy advocate as anyone, probably more so than most when it comes to online privacy. That being said, I just don't see the concern here.

I like numbers and statistics. I look at a potential outcome and try to calculate the probability of it's outcome, and then act accordingly. As I imagine various scenarios involving a VW picture here, I'm just not seeing anything bad that's even remotely likely to happen. The worst I can come up with is them being pestered by someone who wants to buy the VW. Hell I used to get that all the time when my Bus sat in my carport in Flagstaff. Since you could see it from the street, someone would stop once or twice a year asking if it was for sale. I just think the odds that someone encountering violence as a result of their VW's picture here is exceedingly low. If you are seriously worried about that, then you should probably never drive in traffic again since your odds of being killed driving are orders of magnitude higher than this scenario I just described.

Come on folks, let's get some perspective here.

My 1968 Campmobile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The concern isn't necessarily a violent confrontation from someone interested in the bus in the yard, it is from people stealing things from the VW in the yard, or the VW itself.

I am guessing the trigger happy comment was in regards to the US and its 2nd amendment whereas it regards to protection of one's life and property. Get caught stealing from the wrong person, and violence may be expected.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
The concern isn't necessarily a violent confrontation from someone interested in the bus in the yard, it is from people stealing things from the VW in the yard, or the VW itself.

I totally agree with this point. Many people who collect old cars or other things of value don't want their locations known. I (and most others) wouldn't be happy if someone walked onto my driveway and started snapping pictures of my VW's and posting them on websites w/my information.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Is that an Arizona Yellow '68? Doesn't look unsalvageable. I'm sorta falling in love with that color. Almost got the wife convinced to put it on my '68.

I missed this. That is not an AZ yellow bus. It had been repainted yellow then faded. I think it may have been Savannah Beige.

I agree, AZ yellow is an interesting color.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

If you people spent as much time defending against racism on this site as you do inanimate objects your culture may begin to heal the wrongs of the past.
Until then, not so much.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
If you people spent as much time defending against racism on this site as you do inanimate objects your culture may begin to heal the wrongs of the past.
Until then, not so much.

How do you know we don't?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Until then, not so much.

Call people out when it occurs or hit "Report"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
Until then, not so much.

Call people out when it occurs or hit "Report"

Sounds like a very simple pragmatic approach on the outside, the reality is much more nuanced.
The experience of trauma is re-lived each and everytime the issue comes up and that trauma makes it incredibly difficult to remain objective and coherent.
It's not "just words" for us.

Epigenetics is though.
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/08/21/...nerations/
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Found these two today-

They are behind the abandoned gas station at the Montgomery Summit on US 6, north of Bishop CA. The red one is a '68 still wearing the beam and rear trailing arms. The other one is a little later with rectangular reflectors and low lights. Not sure of the year.
If you had a winch you could drag them out and strip 'em some more!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Sorry if this was already posted.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5738533129.html

Is that a reasonable price? Wow I'm soooooo out of touch.

My wife and I were just wondering how much my bus is worth before restore as sort of a base cost, ie what would it have cost to buy a bus in similar condition and then restore it. I suspect I may have underestimated. This Bus is certainly in nicer condition than mine, but wow Shocked

My 1968 Campmobile
spencersk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Cru62-awesome pic!
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

spencersk8 wrote:
Cru62-awesome pic!

That is just a small part of the junk at that place. I have my eye on a couple of other things to drag home. Wink

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Ayottes Salvage yard, Oxford Maine.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Found this one the other day still trying to work out a deal on it. The owners of it now have owned it since the mid 70s and have driven it all across the US. OG paint except for the bumpers and that grill, and complete camper interior in perfect shape.

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Found this one the other day still trying to work out a deal on it. The owners of it now have owned it since the mid 70s and have driven it all across the US. OG paint except for the bumpers and that grill, and complete camper interior in perfect shape.

I saw that last week also Smile When I approached the owners they said I was the second person to inquire about the bus in the last few days. You must have been the first.
Couple things I noticed, it isn't original paint, there is overspray on rubber all over the bus. From what is visible the interior looks complete other than the sink/fridge that was removed and lost to time.
I gave them my number but I imagine you'll get the first call. Good luck to you.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

@GTV

WOW thats so wild haha yes i stopped by yesterday to check in and they said that someone else stopped by as well to see about it. I didn't really check it out that close but good to know the paint isn't original i just glimpsed over the bus really quick. Also they told me about the fridge but if you move the wood they have laying inside it its super solid otherwise.

If your living up here in the area maybe we could grab a lunch or something always cool to meet fellow VW addicts. Im over in Grand Lake.

You would be surprised but there are some solid buses hiding in the woods up here.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
@GTV

WOW thats so wild haha yes i stopped by yesterday to check in and they said that someone else stopped by as well to see about it. I didn't really check it out that close but good to know the paint isn't original i just glimpsed over the bus really quick. Also they told me about the fridge but if you move the wood they have laying inside it its super solid otherwise.

If your living up here in the area maybe we could grab a lunch or something always cool to meet fellow VW addicts. Im over in Grand Lake.

You would be surprised but there are some solid buses hiding in the woods up here.

I live in Seattle now, I was there doing family reunion stuff with the girlfriend's family. When I'm back in the area I'll let you know!

Good to know about the fridge, the interior was pretty buried Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 100

Jump to: