Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Frog Lake is just 3-4 miles off Hwy 80, and I don't think it ever has a crowd. The road's a bit rough, but a stock Syncro can make it ..

Outwesty & I relaxing lakeside:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Thanks for that, looks promising - I bike near there on Hole in The Ground Trail - how do you drive in? Road 85?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Frog Lake is just 3-4 miles off Hwy 80

beautiful pic Smile

baltik, check your PMs
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the exit is for Donner Lake Rd, except you head East, past the parking area and up the dirt road. Take the more obvious forks, and you'll end up at Frog Lake.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Thanks for that - any leads on lake basin/graegle area by chance? Wanted to take my family to the buttes... Feel free to pm me if not for widespread consumption...
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

A partial retrospective. Thanks to everyone that helped me build memories for a lifetime.

Nacimiento, Big Sur, side of the road, now not allowed to overnight

Davenport, side of the road, now not allowed to overnight

86 Syncro Westy w 2.2 subie

Prewitt Ridge, Big Sur, now not allowed to overnight

San Martin Peak, Big Sur, now behind a locked gate

Big Sur

Salamander Camp, Big Sur, no longer accessible, the bushes closed out the road and it is no longer passable without full bushwhacking, dragging both sides of the van and parting the way with the windshield

like this, and more:

Lost Coast

Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz

Truck Hill, Hollister

CVBill on Truck Hill

Cow Mountain, and why I went to a solid shaft

Big Sur meetup spot

Betty at Hollister

Hollister Ladder

vwhead at Hollister

CVBill Hollister

Big Sur

Big Sur

Camp David, Big Sur

Big Sur

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

A month or 2 ago ago I was out in big sur overnighting and in the AM a ranger came up the hill and was checking that people didn't have campfires and weren't shooting guns due to the fire hazard. I talked to him and he was saying that they were going to be ripping out the fire pits on prewitt and limiting access so that area's time is ending soon too. He cited many forums that people announce what is available, kids going out and partying all weekend and thrashing the place and small camper rental places that actually list the place in their rental literature. They also permanently closed the road to cone peak(left at top of nacimiento).
Many of these places are a thing of the past now.
The current soberanes fire was started by a illegal fire so I am sure that they will be clamping things down for a while.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Mario
Thank you deeply for having shared these places with me. I have learned a bit late, not to post place names publicly.

Part of me wants to share, but four of the first places we used to go, are now off limits. If they got closed because of me, I apologize for not being more secretive.

Personally, I also see the recent overuse as fall out from the 2012 park closures.

I hope a balance can be struck and others get to share in the beauty of so many open spaces around us, without leaving toilet paper all over them. I also learned the word Crowdifornia from you Smile..

The majority of the places the Lost Burritos have gone, were thanks to you sharing local knowledge with us. Thanks for being such a warm and generous host.

Respect!
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Wait, all of Nacimiento is off-limits now? Crying or Very sad When did this happen?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Nacimiento, Big Sur, side of the road, now not allowed to overnight

Phaedrus wrote:
Wait, all of Nacimiento is off-limits now? Crying or Very sad When did this happen?

syncrodoka wrote:
A month or 2 ago ago

I got the same info from another Burrito who encountered a Ranger patrolling Nacimiento earlier this summer, before the current fire started.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
A partial retrospective. Thanks to everyone that helped me build memories for a lifetime.

Nacimiento, Big Sur, side of the road, now not allowed to overnight.....

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. Sure wish I coulda been there. I like small-group Westy-ing. Good wakeup call on posting "locations" on the internet. I fully understand the desire to share cool spots but popularity can doom that spot in a few short years. Other side of the sword is "under-use" - if nobody cares, it's easy to close too. Or gets overgrown.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Good wakeup call on posting "locations" on the internet. I fully understand the desire to share cool spots but popularity can doom that spot in a few short years. Other side of the sword is "under-use" - if nobody cares, it's easy to close too. Or gets overgrown.

all true
The only constructive solution I can see, is to continue to educate people to Leave No Trace!

I was amazed to see how many of the new users in the areas of Big Sur now closed, had total disregard for how they left the area after they went there.

People left evidence of illegal fires, shit and toilet paper all over the place, in plain sight. It set a terrible example that only made others do even more of the same.

If we leave exposed camp fires and toilet waste behind, it can quickly get out of hand and lose the site for everyone.

That is a side effect of the culture of the individual, and a "Me First" mindset, without regard for the needs of others.

Im glad the areas are being closed. They have become eyesores, after the large number of inconsiderate people started leaving their mark behind.

So, here is my plug for LEAVE NO TRACE!
https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles
Plan Ahead and Prepare
Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you'll visit.
Prepare for extreme weather, hazards, and emergencies.
Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.
Visit in small groups when possible. Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.
Repackage food to minimize waste.
Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging.

Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow.
Protect riparian areas by camping at least 200 feet from lakes and streams.
Good campsites are found, not made. Altering a site is not necessary.
In popular areas:
Concentrate use on existing trails and campsites.
Walk single file in the middle of the trail, even when wet or muddy.
Keep campsites small. Focus activity in areas where vegetation is absent.
In pristine areas:
Disperse use to prevent the creation of campsites and trails.
Avoid places where impacts are just beginning.

Dispose of Waste Properly
Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food and litter.
Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep, at least 200 feet from water, camp and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished.
Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products.
To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.

Leave What You Find
Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts.
Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
Avoid introducing or transporting non-native species.
Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.

Minimize Campfire Impacts
Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the backcountry. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and enjoy a candle lantern for light.
Where fires are permitted, use established fire rings, fire pans, or mound fires.
Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
Burn all wood and coals to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cool ashes.

Respect Wildlife
Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
Protect wildlife and your food by storing rations and trash securely.
Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.

Be Considerate of Other Visitors
Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
Be courteous. Yield to other users on the trail.
Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.
Take breaks and camp away from trails and other visitors.
Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Awesome posts, Jon. Those photos are a fantastic journal .. some of it gone for good. I'm grateful to have seen a bit of it.

I doubt the idiots camping up there have any connection to Samba, but you're still correct that perhaps we need to curb the open sharing of camp spots, and only pm specific info.

view of Mt Bachelor backside

'87 Syncro GL 2.5

Last edited by gears on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

AGREED!

Often people will leave a campfire full of trash, then the next person picks out the rocks and makes a new fire ring nearby, and then comes the 3rd. Absolute slobbery.

If it's not too bad I'll pick up other slobs trash and take it with me. Recently I removed an entire pickup truckload from a beautiful site out in the woods. Half of this truckload was in one of the earlier firepits that became their trash heap. The whole area now has black spots from the firepit migrating around.

Closure of the backcountry is like a noose tightening around myneck. It's been bad but might be complete during my remaining lifetime. Not a good thing for Westy-Life.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

I can't believed they closed Prewitt. Big problem is that there are very few places to disperse camp in California. We are way over populated. To add to it, people go on reserve america and grab all the campsites 6 months in advance and then never show up. I can't believe how many times I drive through a prime camp ground and the sites are vacant(but reserved). Sucks!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Pfeiffer canyon bridge is permantlying closed and will have to be rebuilt due to storm damage. Accessing big sur is going to be a issue in the future.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

wow!
fire, rain, mudslides, road closures

locals only south of Palo Colorado, no tourist access to Bixby Bridge, Old Coast Road is impassable.

No access to River Inn, Fernwood, Nepenthe, Esalen, or any of the local businesses, and Nacimiento closed for repairs too.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Wow! Poor bridge. Don't think any of us locals should be too surprised with so much rain we've had recently.

Craig
raddodubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Reckon any of us coming from the valley can make it in from the East and come up the back side of Los Burros?

[/img]
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Reply with quote

Nacimiento fergusson is closed from South coast Rd down to 1 and 1 is closed from Palo Colorado to ragged point. I wouldn't make plans to visit the area this summer.
They are scheduling days to escorts locals out to resupply right now as the area is seriously impacted, you need a local ID to have access to the area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: