Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

Having a cut oilpan (Subaru EJ25) a larger filter means more oil in the system which will help (just a little).
This post is to provide confirmation that it fits (with Smallcar.com engine bracket).
If anyone knows of an even larger filter that's just "better!" Please share, I'd run that next time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo of larger 1334 SVX filter on an EJ25 motor.

WIX 57356 is the normal filter for an EJ25.
NAPA Gold filter 1334 is the SVX filter.

I don't know if it fits EJ22. Maybe someone with an EJ22 can confirm.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

The EJ filter is tiny.......I have often thought.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

I use the NAPA Gold 1344, made by Wix. IIRC the Wix version is 51344.

I did the volumetric calculations a long time back but it holds a lot more oil than the OEM without hanging down too low.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

EJ22 and EJ25 filters all interchange, the OG EJ22 filter (15208AA060) was much larger than the 2.5 filter. Denso makes the larger filter, its the highest quality Japanese made filter out there. I try and steer clear of American filters on my van as well as my customers Subaru vehicles. I have seen several motors go away using square cut filter seals like those on the US style filters.

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-150-1006-Oil-Filter/d...oil+filter

Current production factory blue Subaru filters are made by Fram(!) and are total garbage, even the dealers are having troubles with them. I wont even use them on my old shop car.
akspietz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

All Subaru filters have the same thread pitch and o ring diameter. The only difference is capacity and, I believe, different drain back valves. Many people run the larger capacity H6 filters on there turbo cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

This is all very good to know. Great post!

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger SVX oil filter fits on EJ25 (just an FYI) Reply with quote

Another tidbit. The reason they went to the smaller filter a dozen or so years ago was certain models started coming with a ridiculous cumbersome exhaust manifold that surrounded the filter entirely. The larger filters were too tight to reach for service and I assume too heated up by the manifold. Subaru then superseded all the early filters to the smaller one, even for the EJ22.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: