Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One sad looking lowlight
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars brought this woefully sad looking lowlight convertible to the Concours d' Lemons during this year's Monterey Car Week. The floors were totally rusted out, as well as much of the lower 6" of the body. The interior was completely shot and the original 36HP motor had been replaced with a later 40HP.
Although this car looked like it had been sitting under water for the last 20 years, I do think it could be saved. I've seen threads on here where people have brought cars in similar condition back from the dead. It would be costly undertaking though...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Flipper Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1963243
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars brought this woefully sad looking lowlight convertible to the Concours d' Lemons during this year's Monterey Car Week. The floors were totally rusted out, as well as much of the lower 6" of the body. The interior was completely shot and the original 36HP motor had been replaced with a later 40HP.
Although this car looked like it had been sitting under water for the last 20 years, I do think it could be saved. I've seen threads on here where people have brought cars in similar condition back from the dead. It would be costly undertaking though...

He must have a thing for Ghias at this show. Different Ghia but same show back in Dec. Scroll down in this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8...;start=300
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

"This Ghia is very complete with exception of a couple parts like the horn ring and center piece, the side trims, radio or delete, rear seat and the driver door panel. "

A couple? He goes on to shoehorn six to the list of whats missing.

I remain sceptical.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

So does this mean the lowlight floor mats are there? Laughing

Even in that condition that car will sell. Very few left. Sourcing the missing pieces will be a challenge.

Its a great color combination.

If I had the money and inclination I would buy it and restore it to original condition. Its probably a $200K restoration effort to do it right.
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Also for sale in Belgium??

http://www.kapaza.be/nl/volkswagen/vw-karmann-ghia-lowlight-cabrio-110945149.htm
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Flipper Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1963243

This guy, SaveAllGhias, buys & sells a lot of Karmann Ghias and will also ship the cars overseas.

pbaptist wrote:
Also for sale in Belgium??
http://www.kapaza.be/nl/volkswagen/vw-karmann-ghia-lowlight-cabrio-110945149.htm

Could be that this other guy in Belgium is one of his European connections and is marketing the same car over there.

NOVA Airhead wrote:
So does this mean the lowlight floor mats are there?

Not hardly...most of the floor wasn't even there!

FYI...Carini picked this car up from Dodi's Auto Sales in Monterey, CA. They supply him with some clapped-out junker every year to take to the Concours d' Lemons. Dodi's has some nice cars on the lot too, but always seems to keep a few around back that were driven hard and run into the ground like this Ghia.

http://www.dodiauto.com/
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
"This Ghia is very complete with exception of a couple parts like the horn ring and center piece, the side trims, radio or delete, rear seat and the driver door panel. "

A couple? He goes on to shoehorn six to the list of whats missing.

I remain sceptical.

Nicholas

Those parts are not that hard to find, I more than half of them as extra pieces laying around.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Those parts are not that hard to find, I more than half of them as extra pieces laying around.

Very likely true.
No doubt it is a restoration candidate but I see a degree of profiteering going on in the background. My comment was really about how the text lacked simple logic which to me usually warns about the honesty in the offering.

Nicholas
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
lonotch wrote:

Very likely true.
No doubt it is a restoration candidate but I see a degree of profiteering going on in the background. My comment was really about how the text lacked simple logic which to me usually warns about the honesty in the offering.

Nicholas

I totally agree with you and it's way over priced for the amount of work needed, a lot of people get scared of rust, me on the other hand would rather make repairs then find parts.

German Folks
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

I was at the Concours d' Lemons (I always swing by on my way to the historics, this year in a hot rod 1975 BMW tii), and was shocked to see this poor old Cabriolet. Shocked

It looks likely that every time it drives, it might lose twenty pounds of corroded metal or rotted rubber! It did appear close to complete, parts-wise, and mostly "correct," with the added extra of the rare dealer accessory tachometer.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Maybe it's like that game where you pull a stick before it collapses. Shocked This car might soon collapse in to a pile of pieces.

Then you pick out the good stuff to keep for another lowlight.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

30K and 10 years of parts search and you will be rolling down the road in a super rare car and be afraid to drive it so it will be a "trailer queen".
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Ouch! 25 grand.
Makes me feel pretty good about my $800 '57.

Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

I'm not sure that price is all that crazy. Very rare car - a ton of work though. Just that tach is worth some decent change. Good luck to however buys it - hope they have the skills and money to bring her back.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure that price is all that crazy

It's probably the least expensive on thesamba. Wink

I dont know what part would bring more anxiety, paying $25K for that or getting involved in a restoration of that scale. On this one you win the trifecta, it wont be cheap, it wont be easy and it wont be fast.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Reminds me of my 58 cab when I bought it even down to the tach, except the extra $24,200. That's nuts.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Its better than my 61....but $25k....yowza
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

that's insane.
vstylist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: One sad looking lowlight Reply with quote

Ummm guys, this is what most Canadian Ghias look like when we get them lol. Up here they rusted on the showroom floor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: