Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wires to coil
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Wires to coil Reply with quote

Working on reverse light. A harness comes with 3 wires in it to coil, 1 black for ignition and 1 for oil pressure if I remember right is green & red and 1 is white with green or blue bands around it. What would that one be. It doesn't show on my schematic. Then there is supposed to be 1 from + side of coil going to reverse switch with inline fuse. This one is missing. Then it shows from the switch to a connector that splits off it 2 for the reverse lights. I see a connector but my reverse light wires are in a harness and don't go to this connector. I know I'm missing something. Any help appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

There is supposed to be an in-line fuse holder between the wire leading to the reverse light switch (on the front of the transaxle) and Terminal 15 on the coil.
Top center of this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo by Dennis

Think of the coil Terminal 15 as a connection point.
+12V comes from the ignition switch directly to the coil Terminal 15. From there, it continues to power the choke heating element and idle solenoid on the carburetor, as well as the in-line fuse which carries power to the reverse light switch, and on to the reverse lights (when the ignition is switched on and the transaxle is in reverse.

The white/blue-green wire is part of the diagnostic system; it runs to the (obsolete) diagnostic socket in the engine compartment (if it is still there).
That wire can be ignored.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
There is supposed to be an in-line fuse holder between the wire leading to the reverse light switch (on the front of the transaxle) and Terminal 15 on the coil.
Top center of this photo:

Photo by Dennis

Think of the coil Terminal 15 as a connection point.
+12V comes from the ignition switch directly to the coil Terminal 15. From there, it continues to power the choke heating element and idle solenoid on the carburetor, as well as the in-line fuse which carries power to the reverse light switch, and on to the reverse lights (when the ignition is switched on and the transaxle is in reverse.

The white/blue-green wire is part of the diagnostic system; it runs to the (obsolete) diagnostic socket in the engine compartment (if it is still there).
That wire can be ignored.

Good luck, Mondshine

My wire that carries the inline fuse isn't there. When I make one up where will I connect it to the reverse light wiring. In center of my photo is a place to connect a wire, would that be the place
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

That looks like it could be the right place, but to be certain, find the other end of that wire.

Locate the reverse light switch at the front of the transaxle, and trace the wires that are connected to it.

They're both black; one is connected to the blue wires coming from the tail light housings, and the other one goes to the in-line fuse.

Use a VOM or a test light (maybe with the help of an assistant) to be sure of what you are doing. (Always be careful about connecting ignition power to an unknown connector.)

Be patient and methodical, you'll find it.

Considering that a new VW has more lines of code than an F-15 fighter, be thankful for the simple (primitive) electrical system of the Thing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

Just went out and looked everything over real good. There are no wires going to the reverse switch and there is only 1 connector on it. There is a large plastic thing that may be covering another connector. There are no wires under the car that are out of the loom that could go there. The wire loom is there and looks like it left the factory. That connector in the photo I posted goes into a loom. I checked that wire with ohm meter and it goes to ground. That is a black wire and I thought all ground wires on VW are brown. I went under again and checked real good that it hadn't been cut just as it come out of the loom and was grounded. I saw no evidence of that. I would like to find out how to connect the reverse lights but not important at this point. Too many other things I want to do.

The white wire with blue green does go to the network plug, I ohmed it out and it is # 13.

It is amazing all the wires on this thing are in good shape, not hacked or spliced anywhere that I have found so far with the exception of the reverse light.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams in the Technical Section?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.jpg

It is possible that the wire you probed (with continuity to ground) leads to the reverse light bulbs. If even one of the reverse light bulbs is good, the wire would show continuity to ground through the filament.
Now, if you were to remove the bulbs (or the blue wires leading to the reverse light bulbs) and check it again, you will know for sure.

Here'a a photo of a reverse light switch from the gallery:

This is not the same transaxle you have in your Thing, but the location of the switch (at the nose cone of the transaxle) is the same,

You might need to fabricate a "harness" (2 wires) with 1/4" female disconnects to connect to the two terminals on the switch.
One of the wires will connect to the in-line fuse holder at coil Terminal 15, and the other will connect to the wire which runs to the reverse light bulbs (possibly the wire you probed).

Stick with it...you'll figure this out.
Good luck, Mondshine
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

Dang, Hit me on the forehead. I didn't think about the reverse light bulb elements would make my test show a path ground. I applied 12vdc to that connector in my photo and the reverse bulbs light. I've got it covered now.

mondshine, thanks very much
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

If you don't insist on keeping your wiring perfectly stock, I find these "Metri-Pack" type fuse holders to be a nice alternative.

This guy is a great source:
http://www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-boxes.html

I switched my car over to ATO type fuses years ago because they are much more reliable than the original type, and you can buy them anywhere.

Here's one mounted right at my ignition switch.

In stock form, the Terminal 15 circuit is un-protected; not a great idea.

Good luck, Mondshine
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

I switched my car over to ATO type fuses years ago because they are much more reliable than the original type, and you can buy them anywhere.

Do you have a link to the fuse box you used?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

I used two of these Littlefuse 350418:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIT3/350418BP/N1177.oap

Here's a very old drawing from the gallery:

I guess i should mention that since I did this in 2009, I have added another panel of the same type in the right hand dash panel to accommodate additional fuses for a radio, amp, power outlets, etc.

Hope that helps, Mondshine
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wires to coil Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Hope that helps, Mondshine

Thanks for the info, I will probably go that route soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: