Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Sucks that it forced your hand. Reads like you thought it through, though.
When i started trying to remove it, i noticed the curve on the back was starting to change.. i really didnt want to screw it up.

If i was to do it again, quite frankly, i have no clue how i'd do it differently. Its such a tight fit in an odd place, i'm not sure how i could have done better.

hopefully once its welded and painted, nobody will notice my struggle.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Tonight i started welding in the floor. I've done everything except the lip on the front. i feel like this part is gonna annoy the shit out of me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My goal for the rest of the week ;

Tomorrow : finish the floor.
then ;
- Clean and paint the floor and the surrounding.
- install the pedals, clean the steering box
- install the steering box, start the electric.

I think i'll paint it with the same primer, then probably some off white.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Looking good.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Looking good.
thanks.

it been hell to fit, hell to weld, but i'm pretty much done.

The whole thing is welded and cleaned. I nearly put the bus on fire when i welded shut the screw hole, since apparently, there was ton of crap hiding between the inner nose structure and the nose itself.

Tons of thing i would have done differently if i was to do it again (which i hope i wont... ever.). But its done. Tomorrow tho, i'll have to check everywhere and make sure that everything is solid since i found a small hole on the vertical part of the wheel well.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

There was one repair i wasnt sure i wanted to do. It kinda was in the middle of complicated stamping, hiding under the front seat. I had to think long and hard on how and if i wanted to do it. I looked at repair panel, both new and old, and all were very expensive. so in the end, i decided to get my sturdiest metal available, and patch it to the best of my limited talent.

The piece to replace ;

It was heavily pitted, to the point where there were holes. In some place, i could hit it with a screwdriver and go through the thin metal... with my moto "it can't be worst", i did the repair....

The weld is amazingly pretty clean for something i did. I made sure to cut enough good metal to get a solid weld, and leave enough to be able to replace it with the correct metal if i ever need/want to.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

What ever it takes to get rollin, its only metal.

Next time you need a small area of original metal, place a want ad.
You may be surprised at the help you might get.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
What ever it takes to get rollin, its only metal.

Next time you need a small area of original metal, place a want ad.
You may be surprised at the help you might get.
My thought. But i wasn't sure how to approach it. I pretty much spent 2 weeks postponing it to make sure that's how i wanted to do it.

Quite frankly, i didnt consider the wanted ads, maybe i should have. It did take me a long time to locate that metal above the engine, so i almost gave up on wanted ads success.

I'm pretty close to be done with the metal work on the bus, i'm almost excited. Considering i was just supposed to patch it, i think i went a bit further than that.

My next project i'm not sure how to tackle is the engine lid. Both screw tab on the bus and on the engine lid need replacing. I have what it takes to make new treaded hole, but i'm not 100% certain how to align everything together.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

The threaded plates in both the hinge carrier and the decklid are "captive ", meaning they have a slight ability to move in two planes. Usually, if these need work, they must be cut out to fix. It usually isn't enough to just tap new holes and call it good. TIG, gas or MIG Welding work the best. You will likely have to build your own repair pieces. But, you can do it!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
The threaded plates in both the hinge carrier and the decklid are "captive ", meaning they have a slight ability to move in two planes. Usually, if these need work, they must be cut out to fix. It usually isn't enough to just tap new holes and call it good. TIG, gas or MIG Welding work the best. You will likely have to build your own repair pieces. But, you can do it!
yeah, the first time i tried to repair it i just tapped the hole, and they were slightly misaligned and didnt fit. i started doing the piece over again, but without a bench drill (or any kind of bench tool guaranteeing me a straight hole), its gonna be a pain to get right.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

What you will need is another engine lid to use as a alignment tool to get the hinge bolt in points in the lid that needs repair just right. Plus a tight set if hinges will get all aligned. Those threaded holes in the lid are not a captive nut, so no adjust-ability there.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
What you will need is another engine lid to use as a alignment tool to get the hinge bolt in points in the lid that needs repair just right. Plus a tight set if hinges will get all aligned. Those threaded holes in the lid are not a captive nut, so no adjust-ability there.

the idea i had (correct me if i'm wrong) was ;
1- to make 4 "tab" with tapped hole for the screw test-fitted to make sure they are correctly aligned.

2- Open the piece on the bus to replace the captive nut and close it again.

3- make the outer skin for the engine lid with the lab "locked in". not sure how yet, maybe some epoxy or just a folded piece of metal to keep it in place until everything is lined up correctly. Once it is, weld id to the skin with two holes previously drilled.

I got brand new hinge and screw from WW, so they should be "straight" enough.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

If you can find a wrecked/rusty post-1967 lid you could cut out the hinge mounting points or the whole top inner frame, to weld into the earlier lid. If the ones on your early lid are completely missing.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you can find a wrecked/rusty post-1967 lid you could cut out the hinge mounting points or the whole top inner frame, to weld into the earlier lid. If the ones on your early lid are completely missing.

Getting used stuff is out of the question, unless i could find local (which i most likely wont). To give you an idea ;
To get a 100$ piece above the engine shipped from the US to Canada, it cost 200$...

So tonight i worked on the engine lid. I have 3/4 of the hinge done. It's not perfect, its not pretty, but it works, and is somewhat stock. Tried many different approach to fixing that engine lid, but its pretty beat up and rusty, so can't be worst than it already is, again.

didnt get any picture, i'll try to get some tomorrow when i finish it, and hopefully i'll get the apron fixed, and i'll be one step closer to finished.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

been a very long time since i went to the garage to work on the bus, but i used my little time today without kids to start on the electrical...

Didn't get much done, but little is better than nothing.

Passenger side was pretty easy. The light are repro from i-don't-know-who that are pretty bad quality. The reflecting part is already rusting, and the hole for the exterior rim barely fit (and are not centered)

the other side was very wavy. It could probably have used a good time with a shrinking disk and some hammer time, but instead i went with the "easier" way, which is cutting and rewelding. Didnt need to do much more than cut and massage it a bit to get it straight enough.

So the decklid is completed and so are the rear light. Its progress!

I can't really get a good picture of the interior now, but here it is anyway. It's.... white... its actually flat white, but still very white. I figured since most of it get covered, who cares if its not the correct color? I know i won't.

So tomorrow i think i'm gonna start the electrical in front, or maybe finally try and get the tranny grinded...
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

You started this project not thinking you were going to replace as much metal as you did. Very Happy

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Instead of using bay decklid sections to repair your decklid, here is an alternative. I made one of these up and it worked very well. You can plugweld it to the outer sheetmetal making it much stronger than it was originally. More info. can be found in the "funky truck" thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1211601.jpg

IMO I would at least pick up a can of grey spray bomb that is a close match to the og grey. Most of that white will be covered up with interior panels/cabinets so you could paint where it will be visible. It's possible that the cargo area on this bus was painted the upper body color?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
You started this project not thinking you were going to replace as much metal as you did. Very Happy

Definately. That's why when i look at the classified, sometimes i think "that look like a better deal than what i bought", then i reconsider. I'd probably replace alot more given more money (especially the damaged window frame on one side), but outside of the metal above the engine, i think its pretty solid.

StockNazi wrote:
Instead of using bay decklid sections to repair your decklid, here is an alternative. I made one of these up and it worked very well. You can plugweld it to the outer sheetmetal making it much stronger than it was originally. More info. can be found in the "funky truck" thread.
That's what i did. I didnt have very thick metal to get alot of thread tho, which is what i hate about my repair. It looks okay when closed, lets leave it at that...

StockNazi wrote:
IMO I would at least pick up a can of grey spray bomb that is a close match to the og grey. Most of that white will be covered up with interior panels/cabinets so you could paint where it will be visible. It's possible that the cargo area on this bus was painted the upper body color?

I believe it was. The white really is just to avoid leaving unpainted metal to rust. When finishing touch will be required, i'll definately bomb the upper part of the side panel, and most likely some other random parts... its pretty far in my to-do list right now.

Sunday i ended up sleeping on the couch part of the day (for some reason, i can't really sleep when the kids arent home), so.. yeah. Still want to get electrical done at least before christmass.. If it was up to me, i'd really like to get the engine in (at least to test run) and finish the electrical stuff before opening present.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
It's possible that the cargo area on this bus was painted the upper body color?

Most of the interior should be upper body color. On our MAR62 SO-34 only the floor and the wall below the side windows that is covered with the wood panel are grey with the top color sprayed over the grey along the edges.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

Most of the interior should be upper body color. On our MAR62 SO-34 only the floor and the wall below the side windows that is covered with the wood panel are grey with the top color sprayed over the grey along the edges.

Unless it is a Kombi. Then everything would be primer. Early Westies had that mustardy yellow brushed on. Is this bus a Standard?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

Unless it is a Kombi. Then everything would be primer. Early Westies had that mustardy yellow brushed on. Is this bus a Standard?

the side panel were grey with a slight overspray white-ish..

the floor was white (as far as i can tell)

seat stand was white too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: