Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas heater
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Gas heater Reply with quote

I read that if engine stalled and died heater would quit. I also read not to run heater without engine running for long because it would discharge battery. OK, if heater quits when engine stalls then how can I run heater with engine not running? Am I not understanding because am I miss reading?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

Gas heater (Eberspaecher BN4) as equipped on a Type 181 will operate independent of the engine. If the heater switch is in the first position (past full off), it will come on when the ignition is swiched on. If the switch is rotated past the first position (past full off), a mechanical timer is activated and the heater will run without the ignition on. The timer will theoretically shut down the heater before you run down the battery (assuming the timer works properly, and your battery is in good shape, and you do not re-activate the timer too many times without re-starting the engine to charge the battery).
These heaters are known as stationary heaters and were meant to supply heat without the engine running.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

tallman206 wrote:
Gas heater (Eberspaecher BN4) as equipped on a Type 181 will operate independent of the engine. If the heater switch is in the first position (past full off), it will come on when the ignition is swiched on. If the switch is rotated past the first position (past full off), a mechanical timer is activated and the heater will run without the ignition on. The timer will theoretically shut down the heater before you run down the battery (assuming the timer works properly, and your battery is in good shape, and you do not re-activate the timer too many times without re-starting the engine to charge the battery).
These heaters are known as stationary heaters and were meant to supply heat without the engine running.

Thanks. I am trying to start my heater and it won't start. I am getting fuel up to the inlet by the igniter. The igniter is sparking. I have pulled the heat knob out. I have turned the switch full clockwise. The ignition switch is on. When I pull the hose off the inlet by the igniter smoke comes out so there bound to be something going on. How can I tell if it is working? I feel the air coming out and it isn't hot. Does it make a noise when it is working (burning). I don't know what to check now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

There is some interesting reading here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bn4install.php
Also here:
http://oacdp.org/ebersp.html#q2

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
There is some interesting reading here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bn4install.php
Also here:
http://oacdp.org/ebersp.html#q2

Good luck, Mondshine

I read that and don't really understand, maybe read again tonight. Any way update. I thought maybe I wasn't getting fuel in there and the little smoke was from residue. I squirted a little fuel in to try it. I turned switch on and it went boom, not real loud like a explosion but definitely a boom. Pretty sure it was running because whole unit got pretty warm maybe a little hot and then it shut down after, oh, maybe 15 seconds. I thought that the little breaker on back had tripped. It hadn't. I blew the fuse in the fuse panel. I put another in and it blew it right away. That is where I am now. Oh BTW I checked thermostat switch, the one you pull on the dash. It doesn't look anything like the one in the pictures I see here. Instead of being spiral it is a coil spring and it works. Any ideas?
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

Went out this morning thinking that heater intake or exhaust might be stopped up. The little short one close to the end of heater that connects to flexible hose T's off and one side goes under fender well. The other one goes into a empty space you can't get access to. I started looking under dash and found this (photos). What would this be?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

That is where air is drawn in to be heated and returned to the cabin. The hose into the fender well is the intake for combustion. I don't know what the T into the empty space is for, maybe to drain off water splashed or sucked into the intake?
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
That is where air is drawn in to be heated and returned to the cabin. The hose into the fender well is the intake for combustion. I don't know what the T into the empty space is for, maybe to drain off water splashed or sucked into the intake?

Thanks very much.
Now the heater apparently has 1 blower. How does that 1 blower blow air for combustion and exhaust and draw and blow heated air in the car?
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Now the heater apparently has 1 blower. How does that 1 blower blow air for combustion and exhaust and draw and blow heated air in the car?
The link below is to a BN-4 installation manual from The Samba, it goes into great detail about the unit, to include diagrams of the unit and how gasoline is used to create heat . . .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bn4ins...ctions.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: