Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New speedo??? - FINISHED!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Yes it does!! Looks great.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Really nice work. Doing wiring upside down like that really sucks, but the results are worth it. Pro job in my book.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Nice gauge set and panel, very clean and professional looking. I'm looking at building something similar for my Bounty Hunter that I can drop into place with a large multi pin connector. I'm going to be using a set of vintage Jet Cockpit gauges from VDO. Found a bunch of them that are NOS all except the speedo. Now if I could just find the clock for under $200 Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

The Moal Bomber Series gauges would be a currently produced and readily available option if you really like that look (I do). However it looks like you have most of it there already. http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/classic-instruments-moal-bomber-series-gauge-sets
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Brad, those gauges look awesome, love the font and colour combo.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Sooo... after all that the engine wouldn't start... searched the bible (thesamba.com) and found some good tips which led me to not having any spark.

Inspired by member Sig0431's recent post I traced and drew out the electrical/ignition (figured it would be good info to have down the road).

After this exercise I found I had a made a mistake and had a wire on the wrong pole of a switch. Now I have spark, but it still won't turn over...

Hopefully it is just flooded... haven't touched anything on the engine since last summer when it ran with no issues...

Cheers,
CWAT
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

You mean start? ... "Turn over" is what starter does to it....

Take test lamp and put it from negative (-) side of coil to ground.... IF lamp flashes when turning over engine with starter you have power to coil and it shoudl start.... I F lamps does not light you have no power to coil or points are not opening, if light stays on, point are not closing or you have open wire from points to coil...

IF you have electronic points module and light does not flash, module may be "blown"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Hi Dale,

I now have power to the coil (after fixing the switch issue). To test, I had a plug out and grounded, hit the ignition and was getting spark.

Starter turns over and sounds strong, but engine won't start. Sounded close a few times, but no luck yet.

Cheers,
CWAT
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Take the aircleaner off and look in the carb while giving the throttle a couple good pumps.

Check to see if you get fuel from the accelerator pump.

If not you might have to prime your fuel pump and carb fuel bowl.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Hey clonebug,

Checked that already, getting a good flow of fuel.

Cheers,
CWAT
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

I did add a start push button... instead of starter line coming off the keyed "ST" pole, it is now coming off the "IGN" pole and going to the new push button.

I wouldn't think so, but would the power coming off the "ST" pole be any different than the "IGN" pole?

Cheers,
CWAT
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
I did add a start push button... instead of starter line coming off the keyed "ST" pole, it is now coming off the "IGN" pole and going to the new push button.

I wouldn't think so, but would the power coming off the "ST" pole be any different than the "IGN" pole?

Cheers,
CWAT

NO.... Buy you may have a defective switch...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sig0431
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Sooo... after all that the engine wouldn't start... searched the bible (thesamba.com) and found some good tips which led me to not having any spark.

Inspired by member Sig0431's recent post I traced and drew out the electrical/ignition (figured it would be good info to have down the road).

After this exercise I found I had a made a mistake and had a wire on the wrong pole of a switch. Now I have spark, but it still won't turn over...

Hopefully it is just flooded... haven't touched anything on the engine since last summer when it ran with no issues...

Cheers,
CWAT

Love it! You are probably like me and visuals really help me out when learning all of this. One question, why did you wire a switch to the battery ground? Not saying that is wrong I am just courious.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

That switch was installed by the previous owner. Acts as a kill switch for the machine, once disconnected there is no power to the vehicle. I believe it was installed as a security feature, I like it as when I walk away I know there isn't anything draining down the battery.

And yes, learning and visuals make a huge difference.

Cheers,
CWAT
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

This is the most I have been able to get out of er...

Link

Cheers,
CWAT
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Well... much longer than it should have been, but finally got the buggy running again yesterday, and out for a ride with the girls today.

Just in time for the car show tomorrow, which was cancelled this morning due to rain... ouch.

Threw in a new battery, need to cut out the old battery box and build a new one.

And put on the mudflats I was working on. Didn't quite turn out as I had hoped, but couldn't find any out there with the emblem I wanted, will see how long the plastic-dip holds out.

Had some minor popping out the carbs while the engine was winding down, and need to speed up the idle a little, but ecstatic to be riding again.

Going to try and put together a little video of the buggy tomorrow.

Cheers,
CWAT
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

That is such a cool buggy. What was the starting problem? Old fuel was my guess. High ethanol content fuels don't like to sit, however fuel stabilizer seems to help.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New speedo??? - FINISHED!!! Reply with quote

Original starting problem was from when I rewired everything, had one wire on the kill switch to the wrong terminal... led to it getting flooded.

When it was flooded I figured I would pull/clean/work the carbs as the plugs showed it running rich last summer. Changed the jet sizes and venturi's to something more appropriate, then had trouble dealing in the carbs myself.

I know nothing about cars, but have been picking off new challenges with this thing as my posts have shown. Got in a little over my head on this one.

Cheers,
CWAT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: