Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Today I started to put the hardware on. I needed to clean and prep the overriders as they had been on the front of the panel for awhile, clean and paint the bumpers as the front was looking tired and the new rear one was still yellow.

I also did a quick redneck shade tree mechanic improvement - I used duct tape for the stripe down the middle of the bumpers. I want to put rubber deluxe impact strips on but will need to modify a set of overriders to do so - Ill try that later.

I had to cut the holes in the front apron and put the factory bungs in - those are two 25mm holes there boys Wink not a task for the weak stomach drilling holes in your bus. Cool Then painted the raw metal, greased the bung and seated them in.

After getting the front bumper on I put the overriders on with new water lines. Bolted them on and poped the dust cover on.

A while back I was able to score a Euro Licence Plate Frame with my last name on it - now its on the bus.

Finally - before I took this break to post and get some go juice - I put the rear bumper on the Westfalia Trailer Hitch.

Shes coming together!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Little before and after.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Hey, congrats on the successful install of intermittent wipers and headlight washers. The black bumper stripe looks good even if its made from duct tape! Guess you're ready to go muddin' now, eh?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Today made the wiring harness for the Westfalia Trailer Hitch. I bought a new HELLA 7 pin female for it. I had a new ID plate made awhile back - that plus the new 7 pin makes that hitch pop under the back bumper Cool

Here is a quick walk around of the goods.

2.3L Freshly rebuilt motor
1978 Essen 175K edition Trailer
Headlight Washer System - has windshield washer and intermittent wipers
1977 Westfalia Trailer Hitch

Tomorrow Ill get that BN4 in Cool

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Seriously nice! Applause
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Gas heater is in - mostly. Just need to run the power, gas, do some odds and ends and we should be cookin.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Nice to get to some of the other stuff. With the interior out to fit the gas heater - yes the whole bloody thing had to come out. Nevertheless I needed it out to get to the long panel. I never laminated it or the rear hatch or the slider or the piece next to the slider. So now its done.

So I never understood why there was a vent and or space under the ice box. But I tell you what - its a great place to vent the BN4. Was it a breather vent for the fridge in the deluxes? Like you see I used it for the eberspacher.

Got everything back in its place and took her for a spin around the block. Lots quieter with some more added insulation and all the cabs back in. Has a much more refined sound from the cab.

Next still need to hook up that BN4, fix the tach, install a new 75 amp alt - hopefully before the show this weekend. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

WoW! Very Happy Seriously big undertaking there, but sure does look great!

[FYI, the refrigerator in deluxe models requires that lower vent as it operates by an electric heater along with convection to do its thing]
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Looking great.
The black cabinet handles with white push buttons, caught my eye. Would it be correct to say that this change took place in 77?
Thank you
Tcash
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Looking great.
The black cabinet handles with white push buttons, caught my eye. Would it be correct to say that this change took place in 77?
Thank you
Tcash

Change from what? The early white ones? I thought this was the colors from at least 72? Learn me.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Looking great.
Thank you
Tcash

Change from what? The early white ones? I thought this was the colors from at least 72? Learn me.

I don't know about the earlier years, but my Jan. 1976 model has black buttons on black handles all around. All definitely original.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Huh Think Guess so as all the buttons on my 74 are black and all the buttons on this 77 is white.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Jason has procured the very rare "Tuxedo Edition" cabinet handles. Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Martin Henriksson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Cool you got the new washer bumperguards working! Need to fix mine! Keep up the good work Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Martin Henriksson wrote:
Cool you got the new washer bumperguards working! Need to fix mine! Keep up the good work Cool

Martin, I almost forgot your highroof has them. It should be easier for you to do as they are installed, yeah? Laughing I still need to play with them a bit. I bought all new pumps from other makes of cars to see if that will help. The big pump wont make both Scheinwerferwasch work and the small one for the windshield is very loud. I think modern pumps will do the trick Wink Stay tuned for that one.

I was however able to go to the Volksfest show in Moxee park in Yakima. First time I've been to this show. I was excited to try out the camper and its new motor.

Andrew met up at my house in Kent and we headed over the mountain - Mt Rainier Shocked Loaded down with trailers. It was cold and rainy - we drove in the clouds - I paced behind Andrew all the way to the show. Weather turned out nice in Yakima. The bus drove amazing through Mt Rainier. Kept right on Andrews butt the whole time.

We then partied a bit that night in camp with the Cascade Kombis and later the Kahiko Kula's. Several beers and some whiskey later - I was out.

The next day was the show - I last minute decided to set up. I had to perch away from the center show but was worth it. The tent and trailer take lots of space up - and it allowed Andrew and I to scoot out before the show ended. Saw cdennisg - good to see you brother!

The drive back was better in some respects - we took the I 90. Some heavy shitty in your face wind in crazy lots of traffic uneven pavement areas - but by the time we passed the construction - before North Bend - I pulled away to see how the hill climbing was. 60 mph no problem with pedal left in most parts. I rarely went into 3rd on hills unless behind Andrew Razz Gobs of power and torque.

So I'll post the mpg stats soon. I want to finish this tank with the GSBG tomorrow and fill again. Only issues for me during the trip was a sticky pedal. I installed a Butty Bit but I think my pedal swivel is dirty jacked some how. Needs to be smooth but its not. I also fixed as grounding issue - the starter wasn't grounding right through the trans and frame. I was getting hard starts after runs. Fixed by swinging a wire to the motor as well from the bat - neg side.

Still needs the BN4 hooked up - Im going to run the clock instead of a switch and ditch the tach. Resolve the washer system and maybe put a awning on. Then I think Ill be done?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Awesome Notch!!! I'm glad you got the rig out to a show, I'm sure that felt great. Power really makes the driving a bit more enjoyable.

I thought about you last weekend at the Jerome Jamboree in Az. There was a super sick right hand drive Notch and a nice stocker hauling a small trailer that opened up to a high tent. Phone was dead and I was having to much fun parting, so no pics. I gotta update that thread.

Can't wait to see your mpg and how it progresses through out break in. Also with and without the trailer.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Awesome Notch!!! I'm glad you got the rig out to a show, I'm sure that felt great. Power really makes the driving a bit more enjoyable.

I thought about you last weekend at the Jerome Jamboree in Az. There was a super sick right hand drive Notch and a nice stocker hauling a small trailer that opened up to a high tent. Phone was dead and I was having to much fun parting, so no pics. I gotta update that thread.

Can't wait to see your mpg and how it progresses through out break in. Also with and without the trailer.

Oh man I love my bus. Very powerful. Just drove around today, cruising uphill in 4th and she was making MHP. Weird feeling to have to let off the throttle in 4th uphill in a bus Cool This bus is a great back hills hauler for sure now.

Just dialing in some details. That BN4 Rolling Eyes If I needed it, it would be up and running - but the stock heat has actually come in handy on drives. Making for T Shirt drives when its 50's outside. Still I did get the fresh air on and the exhaust. Just needs the timer clock - yes I'm going with a clock/heater timer switch - removing the tach in place of a timer switch. Will keep a more OG flavor and I don't look at the tach much anyway.

Ongoing laminate. Did that back piece thats been off since 2011 Rolling Eyes Laughing Will finish the box between the front seats, cover a box for a chemical shitter/stool - the sitting kind Wink and the the lamination should be actually done? Its only taken 5 plus years.

And the big winner ticket - Painted the oil dipstick orange! Saaawwweeet. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Looking good. Keep it up.
Tcash
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

The pay off ride.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

^Niice!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 36

Jump to: