Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

While I'm still right in the middle of a TDI swap into my '89 Bluestar, my partner decided she couldn't wait and demanded a daily driver van all her own. We just drove this one owner 140k rig back from Seattle today. I was amazed at how effortlessly it cruised on I-5 at any speed set on the cruise, all the while freezing my extremities with the AC. These things were clearly made to be driven at speed on the open road.

It has some exterior dents and what appears to be every single interior plastic bits failure known to the T4. Are the arm rest pot metal pieces still available from the dealer? Is there any trick to getting the underseat chiller to work?

I'm going to be replacing the poptop tent and a whole bunch of other interior pieces. Additionally, I'll be replacing all three cup holders, repairing both the lower access doors on the rear seat, and trying to figure out how to install a double DIN head unit. I also suspect that the timing chain will need my attention. Stay tuned

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Are the arm rest pot metal pieces still available from the dealer?

You can fix floppy arm rests with a kit from gowesty:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23365
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks!

y u rune klassik?
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Welcome - looks great.

Document your work - love seeing pics of other folks wrenching on their eurovans.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I was inspecting the vehicle further today, and found that both the center sliding windows are missing the pins that lock the units in place. Is there a DIY fix for this issue? Also, is there a preferred poptop tent? I see that Bus Depot has an OE Westfalia tent, but it only has two windows. I'd like to have three, but I'm mostly concerned about ease of install and proper fitment.

y u rune klassik?
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Looks like GoWesty has a 3 window tent. http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=20815

They are a fantastic vendor for the eurovan - we are lucky to have them around. They ship super fast and seem to have stuff nobody else has.

I would trust about any product they sell.

alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Cavevan also sells a three window version. I believe Cole has worked with the manufacturer to tweak the design to improve the installation and function/appearance. He can also do the install for those not up to it - such as myself Smile
http://shop.cavevan.com/collections/eurovan/products/replacement-tent-fabric-for-westfalia-weekender
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

alapah wrote:
Cavevan also sells a three window version. I believe Cole has worked with the manufacturer to tweak the design to improve the installation and function/appearance. He can also do the install for those not up to it - such as myself Smile
http://shop.cavevan.com/collections/eurovan/products/replacement-tent-fabric-for-westfalia-weekender

Ooooh, go with Cole.

Great guy - he installed a lift kit in my eurovan last week. Very Happy

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I placed an order with Cole last night. He's probably the biggest single inspiration for my pursuit of the T4, thanks to all of his build threads showing how amazing these things can be made to suit individual needs and interests.

y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Congrats! ^^^

My brother in Oregon has a weekender and loves it!
He drives the crap out if it going anywhere there's a road, North, South, East, West.
It just keeps going and going.

I've not yet felt the love for these but did briefly gaze at a Rialta........
Of course, truth be told...... I HATED the Vanagon for a long time after they were brought out! I'm just slow to embrace the new stuff!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Alrighty, the shopping list is long and $pendy.

I've ordered:

Armrest kit (3)
Speakers (4)
FR speaker grill
Double DIN head unit
Audio adapter plug
Cupholders (3)
Poptop tent
Transmission cooler adapters and radiator (I rolled my own "kit")

I still need to buy the two slider window latches and a Passat hazard switch so that I can install my transmission temperature gauge where the current switch is located next to the vents.

What's the story with the Bentley manuals for these later models? I almost bought a set of manuals, but I see they're only for up to '99 MY.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

It goes to 2003. Actually the same manual I bought back in 2003. Like with many cars, people sell old sets, so beware.

On a side note, what's the current obsession with transmission temperature gauges? Seems that's all the rage now.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I don't understand why they don't include all the MYs on the cover and descriptions.

One of the reasons I was so reluctant to buy an EV was the tales of woe I've heard about the transmission failures. I actually originally bought the trans gauge for my Vanagon, but then realized that the temp range wasn't appropriate for a manual. So, since I'm installing a cooler on the EV, I wanted to monitor how well it was doing its job.

On my Vanagon, I installed a temp sender in the trans, and will be using a regular engine oil temp gauge and toggling between the engine and trans senders

y u rune klassik?
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I don't understand why they don't include all the MYs on the cover and descriptions.

One of the reasons I was so reluctant to buy an EV was the tales of woe I've heard about the transmission failures. I actually originally bought the trans gauge for my Vanagon, but then realized that the temp range wasn't appropriate for a manual. So, since I'm installing a cooler on the EV, I wanted to monitor how well it was doing its job.

On my Vanagon, I installed a temp sender in the trans, and will be using a regular engine oil temp gauge and toggling between the engine and trans senders

I installed a Scan Gauge 2 which gives me transmission temp, h20 temp, and about 100 other things via the ODBII port. I love this gizmo.

Love to see what your temps are before and after the cooler install.

As far as the Bentley, I haven't bought one - they just look friggin HUGE and being full time in my Eurovan I don't want to lug those huge books everywhere.

visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

On a side note, what's the current obsession with transmission temperature gauges? Seems that's all the rage now.

If I can monitor the temp and keep it from overheating then maybe I can extend the life of my 01P...although I think mine might still need to be rebuilt (again).

jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

According to the Bentley site and my manual, it covers from 1993-2003. It's right on the cover. I have a feeling someone is trying to sell you old manuals. It's just like the manual I have for my 2000 Jetta, it only goes to 2001 because I bought it in 2001. Then Bentley made later versions of the manual. I'd not buy those old manuals then. Just buy the more recent one. It'll cost more but you'll get what you need.

As for the gauges, the funny thing is that the temp is not killing these transmissions (unless you have a fully loaded Rialta going up and down steep hills or towing a good sized trailer with a regular EV. The failure is coming from lack of maintenance, the valve body wearing out (just due to regular old wear) and then with the valve body wearing out, it just starts damaging the rest of the transmission until it fails.

So, why people are sticking on a gauge today after the van is 13+ years old is not going to save the transmission. Even sticking a cooler on it today is not going to save it either. Same for the engine. Having a temp gauge is neat but when it's going to be reading the same number plus/minus 10 degrees, it's more like something to watch just to watch. I logged mine with a VAG-COM many moons ago and guess what. When people put on an external gauge, it was the same number I had. Same for the change in temp after installing a cooler. In the end, it's just more people confirming the same bit of info.

It's the same as for the Tach. What purpose it serves, is beyond me. It's not like I can do anything about the engine speed.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

When I went to the Bentley site, all they showed was '93 - '99, even in the descriptions. GoWesty also just sells that same set.

I rolled my own trans cooler and already have the gauge/sender, so I consider it cheap entertainment at least.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/eurovan/1992-2003/

Covers MY: 1992-2003.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Right, for the CD and eBahn electronic manuals. I want the paper manual. I have their Audi C4 CD, and it's been an absolute nightmare to access reliably over the ten years we've owned the car, since they only license it for a finite number of machines...and I've gone through quite a few machines in a decade. Their customer support is shit.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yesterday I was staring at the two bench seat access doors with the broken tits, which luckily have one of them barely hanging on for reference. I figured they looked a lot like the old school kitchen cabinet door clasps, so I went to the Home Despot and bought four sets for around $4. That reference tit allowed me to modify the depth to suit, and then I epoxied them to the doors. Et voilą! I now have functioning doors again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll take pics when I clean them up for prime time.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: