Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste.
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594795]Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2[/url]

L68-69 111 953 235 D, could not find a picture. (211-953-235 A) will work as a replacement.

70-72 211-953-235 A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73-79 111 953 235G

Volkswagen Hazard Switch Wiring
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hazard_switch_ovh.pdf

Last edited by Tcash on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Hazard Emergency E-switch tie wrap Reply with quote

Hazard emergency switches, are known for popping open. Snap it back together and put a Tie Wrap around it.

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hazard switch has terminals 54 and 54f that have no wiring. I am guessing that is normal.

I have a VW T2 workshop manual, wiring diagram does not show these two circuits.

Just a regular guy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54 & 54f are only used on pre 72 North American delivered buses with the combined brake/signals on the rear, later ones with separate signals deleted those terminals and some got a dash light wire to make the knob glow instead. Someone's put an early switch in your late bus, nothing wrong there, the swap won't work the other way though, a late switch won't work in an early bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
54 & 54f are only used on pre 72 North American delivered buses with the combined brake/signals on the rear, later ones with separate signals deleted those terminals and some got a dash light wire to make the knob glow instead. Someone's put an early switch in your late bus, nothing wrong there, the swap won't work the other way though, a late switch won't work in an early bus.

My '70 bus is missing that switch with the 54 and 54f lips. Is there a way I can make it work? as I can't find the switch overhere....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezzr wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

My '70 bus is missing that switch with the 54 and 54f lips. Is there a way I can make it work? as I can't find the switch overhere....

I'm sorry, there's no simple way to duplicate that circuit that I can think of. You could add a trailer light converter under the dash and bypass the HL/HR circuit on the signal switch but that would result in a hell of a mess of wires under there, or you could add a brake light wire to the rear and use 2 bulb Euro style tail lights. Either option sounds like way more work and expense than just importing the proper switch.
Here's one, you'll want to have him list the terminal numbers to confirm before you buy: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1916295

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

@busdaddy thanks for your input!

So I've been searching for a while but somehow couldn't find the switch with al the needed connectors. I got a switch lately that had the 54 and 54F numbers on it but not the tabs. I took it apart, cut the tabs from another switch, etc.etc. made the inside work correct (I hope at least), lots of small metalwork and now I have the right switch...

Only a test will show if I did it ok...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

Anybody know what year the glowing switch started? I've always wanted it, but I'm not sure my North America light/switch setup would allow it now....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

I am going to say 1973. #26 runs over to the headlight switch.

GD
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

73 would be a good guess. That is the year Fiat changed the way the switch worked - they also added a light to it in 1973. Might have been a DOT change.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
73 would be a good guess. That is the year Fiat changed the way the switch worked - they also added a light to it in 1973. Might have been a DOT change.

Same for the illuminated heater controls.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Same for the illuminated heater controls.

I know this was true in the bugs and the Type 3s around that time as well. I was mainly confused because Colin's 1970 bus Chloe has the light-up switch. But then I remembered the gentleman that built it really really really liked lights. RIP Mike "Bookwus." Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: T2a Emergency/Hazard Switch Inner Schematic Reply with quote

Wish we had these for every Switch and Motor.
click on pic

Tcash
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard Emergency E-switch tie wrap Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hazard emergency switches, are known for popping open. Snap it back together and put a Tie Wrap around it.

Good to know! Just discovered mine was held together by a few scraps of electrical tape. Zip ties to the rescue Very Happy

stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

Probably more suited to the "stupid question" thread, but is terminal 49a directly underneath terminal 30? Or is it 58b? Bit confused by the middle row....

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

I would guess that 58b is the one with the resistor based on wiring diagrams.
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I would guess that 58b is the one with the resistor based on wiring diagrams.

Ah, yes. Of course. Thanks!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

Got my new switch for my 69. Figured I would do a little research first. Seems I was sold the later replacement switch. Sill no work around on this one? I have another from a 69 bug I was gonna try but cant seem for the life of me to find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Got my new switch for my 69. Figured I would do a little research first. Seems I was sold the later replacement switch. Sill no work around on this one? I have another from a 69 bug I was gonna try but cant seem for the life of me to find it.

Not without the trailer light converter addition I suggested earlier, what a pain that would be, buy a real switch from the classifieds.

What's wrong with your old switch?

Слава Україні!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency/Hazard Switch ID T2 Reply with quote

Old switch literally fell apart. I tried to re assemble and zip tie but I think a spring or something fell out. I recently ordered one from WCM but it comes on Monday... and im impatient and wanna drive now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: