Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it a Manx
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71Type3Fast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Hi there I just picked up this dune buggy yesterday and the owner insured me that it is an early Manx. I was just wondering if I could get another opinion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Pictures of dash support (if any)
Pictures of any tubes under the fenders.
Picture of any braces attached to the upper rear shock bolts
Picture of how roll bar attaches to fiberglass body.

Body looks good. Rollbar seems consistent with Manx product. From tabs welded to beam look like Manx bumper tabs.

Some good indications.
71Type3Fast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but it 'ticks' alot of the right boxes to me. Is there any sign of an i.d. tag above the v.w vin on the pan,4 rivet holes,on the verticle portion of the fiberglass between the battery tray and spare tire well?
71Type3Fast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

No it does not have any but I was told that it is an early one possibly one of the first couple hundred or so that were built. And the first couple hundred or so had a sticker on the front hood where it is raised which the sticker is long gone. I am just wondering if it would be worth the money to have it verified? And I was also told that the roll bar and seats were Manx also mabey some of the other accessories I am not sure mabey some more information would be much appreciated. Thanks
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

The pictures of the tubes are not enough detailed. From what I see it doesn't look 100% correct but that could be the pics. Is there an actual tube in there?

The dash support doesn't look right. I thought the lower section was angle iron versus a tube...but I may be wrong there as well.

The supports on the shock mounts look spot on.

Is the dash fiberglass? I seem to think I see a bit of glass fiber under the speedo in the chip. It should be ABS unless it is a replacement.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

That is one sketchy "roll bar" in that thing. I don't think that is a Meyers original.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
That is one sketchy "roll bar" in that thing. I don't think that is a Meyers original.

That IS a Meyers roll bar. The same as they sell today. Sketchy? They're bolted through the fiberglass and bracketed onto the rear chassis forging. Much stronger that just bolting through the pan corner as most do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Hi 71Type3Fast,

Even though these assorted opinions should be valued, the best way to know for sure would be to submit the necessary information by following the directions on meyersmanx.com (link below). For the cost of $20.00, I would say yes, it would be worth the cost to know for sure.

http://meyersmanx.com/manx_registry

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

713F.. If I were to make some midnight quickie moulds I'd delete the fiddly bits in the spare wheel bucket for easier layup/release.

Whoever.. just hope they did a good job ..and you add to it.

Jim
Manx #2614
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

For others to see or if sending pictures to Winnie for verification, you need to get more light up under the side of fenders and sides to see the details. There are different ways of doing this. Using more light or you can bounce lighting using something white. Foam core, white board. And also silver windshield shade screens work for bouncing light into shaded areas.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a Manx. It would be worth the cost of having it verified by Winnie and Bruce. jsturttlebuggy is right about having clear pictures of the tubes. I went through the verification process on a buggy body I bought taking a chance on it being a Manx. Initially they did not think it was from the pictures and said the only way to be sure was to bring it to them for them to see. I live in northern California and wanted to pick some parts up from the as well so I brought the buggy down there. Bruce looked it over and said it was definitely a pre-tag Manx.

I realize you are a long way from California and that is why I suggest you take clear pictures of every thing including the tubes. Your tubes look different than the ones on mine but it is my understanding that the early Manxes had tubes that were built up from vacuum cleaner hose fiber glassed in place. Later a mold was made up to form the tubes which were more uniform.

You may want to ask BL3MANX for his opinion. He is very knowledgeable about the Manx.

Here are some pictures of the body, with emphasis on the tube construction, that I had verified. Photos of dash frame as well.

tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

I think it is a real one. Looks just like my 68 manx. Mine has a badge but everything else looks spot on to me.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

The only people who can verify a Manx is genuine are Bruce and Winnie, however I'd say its definitely worth your trouble to send the pictures of this one to them for confirmation.

The body shape, and all the brackets, dash frame and roll bar look correct to me. The reinforcing tubes look short and oddly shaped to me and jsp's point about the material of the dash is also a concern. I agree the lighting under the fenders, side sills and in front and back has to be better for them to see clearly and decide

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

It looks like it has all the right details to be a real Manx. I am also in Ontario Canada about 2 hours south of you. I have a shell that looks just like yours including the dash support and tubes under the fenders just like the white body posted by Bermoco. I applied for it to be verified and Winnie replied that it is not a real Manx. I think mine has some fiberglass added under the front fenders that obscures the original details of the tubes...I'm not going to harass them about it. I also wonder if being far from the west coast makes them think its less likely to be a real Manx.

I hope you have good luck getting it verified...I understand it makes it easier to get insurance as well.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Here is some information about Manx bodies and almost exact copies.
There was two brothers that started a company selling aftermarket VW and buggy parts. In the beginning they bought a real Meyers Manx body.
With this Meyers Manx body they then took it all across the USA stopping a different body shops, boat shops, and any shop that did fiberglass work. They offer the body to copy (for a price) to these many shops for those want to cash in on the dune buggy craze at the time.
So how many copies were made, it is not known. You have to figure there was many thousands of the copies made. Some better then others.
Is it a real Meyers Manx or just a good copy.

The only people that can really tell you if it is real, are Winnie and Bruce. They have the final say on whether it a copy or a real Meyers Manx.

I would say enjoy the buggy what ever it is.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Free_Buggy wrote:
It looks like it has all the right details to be a real Manx. I am also in Ontario Canada about 2 hours south of you. I have a shell that looks just like yours including the dash support and tubes under the fenders just like the white body posted by Bermoco. I applied for it to be verified and Winnie replied that it is not a real Manx. I think mine has some fiberglass added under the front fenders that obscures the original details of the tubes...I'm not going to harass them about it. I also wonder if being far from the west coast makes them think its less likely to be a real Manx.

I hope you have good luck getting it verified...I understand it makes it easier to get insurance as well.

I also have a body that looked very close to yours and found the manufacture sticker. SKOV Custom Reinforced Plastics

The previous owner had created an overhang over the air box but that was clearly added. Like yours, the dash and dash support looked identical.

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215810

Battery box and spare tire well were identical to Manx

Similar tubes (half round)

Yours may not be from the same place but the fact that there have been others found in Ontario could possibly mean that it is. It's still worth a shot to ask Winnie & Bruce.

In any case, it's a nice buggy and you'll enjoy it I'm sure!
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a Manx Reply with quote

Vincent,

A couple of years ago someone posted that same tag. That manufacture was in Guelph Ontario....just looked back for that post and I see you already noticed it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight=

At the time I saw it I figured that was what I had also, but the more I looked at the dash support, roll bar, and other details I was convinced I had a genuine Manx....wishful thinking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: