Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need info on the Brazilian gol. Engine mounting and transmission
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTFORZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Need info on the Brazilian gol. Engine mounting and transmission Reply with quote

So I may be new to the samba, but I'm definitely not new to the air cooled scene. I'm trying to dig into something new to build. I love my aircooleds and watercooled cars, but a new idea has hit me. The gol made in Brazil is the missing link between the Volkswagens of yesterday and today. It was sold stateside as a fox, but it only had a watercooled motor. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the gol transmission mounts along with the engine mounts as well. I assume that the engine was supported like a bay window, but I've struggled with finding photos. The reason I ask is because I have a 2.0 type 4 just hanging out in my garage and I would like to find a unique home for it.
tecnica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need info on the Brazilian gol. Engine mounting and transmission Reply with quote

Hi GTFORZA,

I´m from SP, Brazil and I owned a Gol LS 81 aircooled for several years. In fact, the "Gol BX", the version of Gol that uses the aircooled engine is a very nice plataform, with very pleasant driving capabilities.

The engine mount is very similar to T1 mount, with 2 rubbers mount over the front suspension frame, and one rubber mount behind of the gearbox, bolted to central tunnel. Below is the picture of the front suspension frame

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the picture bellow, the gearbox mount is in the middle

I´m not sure if the aircooled frame can be directly bolted on a watercooled body, VW made several upgrades when lauching the watercooled version to the market.

When google, always search for "gol bx" Wink

best regards
GTFORZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need info on the Brazilian gol. Engine mounting and transmission Reply with quote

tecnica wrote:
Hi GTFORZA,

I´m from SP, Brazil and I owned a Gol LS 81 aircooled for several years. In fact, the "Gol BX", the version of Gol that uses the aircooled engine is a very nice plataform, with very pleasant driving capabilities.

The engine mount is very similar to T1 mount, with 2 rubbers mount over the front suspension frame, and one rubber mount behind of the gearbox, bolted to central tunnel. Below is the picture of the front suspension frame

In the picture bellow, the gearbox mount is in the middle

I´m not sure if the aircooled frame can be directly bolted on a watercooled body, VW made several upgrades when lauching the watercooled version to the market.

When google, always search for "gol bx" Wink

best regards

Wow, thank you so very much. I am safe to assume that the sub-frames have a good chance of swapping out, but I'm willing to bet that the transmission mount may require fabrication work. This greatly helps me and I do appreciate the information on the subject. This is a step closer to getting the type IV swap figured out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: