Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Solved) crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: (Solved) crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine Reply with quote

AAA is on the way. Poor cellphone service. Need a place to tow within 100 miles for engine rebuild or short term storage while buying new engine.

If anyone has any recommendations of a shop in 100 miles or is willing to have us store it while engine is out (safe place) please let us know. We're nice, courteous professionals.

Is anyone has a working 1600 DP engine that I could BUY and put in that would be fantastic. I can put it in and Have tools.

It is currently noon on Sunday the 4th. Tow truck will be here around 1pm. Super dangerous stretch of road. Worst place to break down. Bah....

Last edited by Malokin Martin on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

contact (phone) or an address is preferred

I appreciate the PM's but need direct contact info as we're stuck in a tow yard right now.

Edit: linked up with a tow truck and are in a safe place. Thank you all again for the PM's. Still looking for a VW engine in the crescent city area. Even a smoker that will make it back to Seattle is fine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

Did you get help yet?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

Do you know Dave Cormack?
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

Just now seeing this. Dave Cormack would be the one to contact in the CC area. Its now Monday night. Hopefully someone has offer a solution or help. I'm about 100 miles south otherwise . PM should you still need any assistance.
Mark
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

Really appreciate folks checking in on this. Would someone mind PMing me Dave's contact number?

We currently have the bus in the tow lot in crescent city. I had to rent a car to get a friend to the airport in San Jose so he can fly back (time crunch). Pressures off now for sure.

There's apparently a local mechanic that says he can find a "used" motor... But I'm not sure he deals with a lot of these.... At this point it's just a matter of limping it home.

I've been given one "maybe" about 150 miles north of CC, but if anyone has a localish engine (running) they'd be willing to sell, feel free to PM me. Preferably a 1600 dual port 12v but at this point, anything dependable for 1000 miles of driving.

I am swinging back up I-5 from San Jose to Crecent City if anyone along the corridor has something maybe I can throw it into the rental car on my way back up (Shhhh don't tell Enterprise haha)

Again, thanks for the comments/PM's. Really appreciate the community here.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Would someone mind PMing me Dave's contact number?

Can't speak for Dave but if anyone might know where to get stuff it would be him. His old phone number I have is dead as well as his AOL email from San Diego days. Here is his Samba contacts and it appears he visited today. Good luck. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: SOS crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine or storage Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Would someone mind PMing me Dave's contact number?

Can't speak for Dave but if anyone might know where to get stuff it would be him. His old phone number I have is dead as well as his AOL email from San Diego days. Here is his Samba contacts and it appears he visited today. Good luck. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140

You can also see his current email in his feedback thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401328
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine Reply with quote

Here is Dave's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/kaferdave?fref=ts
Send him a PM on FB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: (Solved) crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine Reply with quote

I lucked out in eureka at "bills VW repair" who had a simple used single port that will push me home. We should be moving again by Thursday.

Thanks again for all the help from members here. I really appreciate all the effort with the phone calls. It simply couldn't have happened without the connections provided.

I'll post up photos after the trip is over and things have settled down.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: (Solved) crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine Reply with quote

Well that's great actually, I would want a single port spare engine for a single cab or is it a double cab? Anyhow just for the look. In a bus the single port has good torque and is very drivable. But as for performance engines I saw this samba ad for one down in Simi Valley though. Great Price: engine 2054 /complete Price: $2000 obo it would be a lot of motor for the cab and would probably need to have stock valve size heads and a little less cam to be very drivable in your cab.

If you need anything when you come back up the 101 I am right on the highway in the town of Langlois Oregon.
The engines I have that we spoke about when you called are shown in the threads below.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: (Solved) crescent city CA broke dwn on 101 need engine Reply with quote

Glad it has worked out for you. Bill is a cool guy he helped me out of a few jams when I lived in Humboldt Co. So since you are stuck in Eureka till Thursday, you should hit the Lost Coast Brewery its close to his shop. Good food and brews.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: