Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Where is this water coming from and why would it be set up to drain into a closet. I've since pulled the rubber plug out of the bottom of the spare tire well but I just don't get this....

Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Pictures might help...
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Isn't it so you can hang you wet suit up in the closet, and it will drip and drain out of the bus? Razz
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Sounds like the OP is saying they are getting water from an unknown source in his closet, not wondering why there is a drain there.

If that is the case, about the only option for where it would be coming from, aside from a wetsuit, is a leaking window seal. Perhaps if the bus was parked at just the right angle, it could be running in from the top left corner of the hatch or something.

But, there is nothing as stock set up to drain into that closet.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Rocchi wrote:
Where is this water coming from and why would it be set up to drain into a closet. I've since pulled the rubber plug out of the bottom of the spare tire well but I just don't get this....

Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance.

Yer leakin' water through yer side vent window, and it's finding' its way down to the spare tire well. Just my wild ass'd guess.

Anyway, mine leaks too. Confused

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Rocchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Picture as suggested. Looks factory....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

That's not a hose, it's the wire from your auxilliary battery. If you are getting water back there it may be time for new window or hatch seals.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Rocchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Battery cable confirmed. I was wrong. The water must be from the external source as suggested. As it seems the bus was parked a little different than usual. Thanks for everyone's time and sorry for the wild goose chase....
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

I "fixed" my leak with a set of Just Kampers rear slider windows.

There is a lot more air flow through the bus with those than there ever was with the little, leaky vent window.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Did you test it? Mine was coming from the rear hatch seal as BD suggested.

I am going to check into those windows though. Pretty cool!

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

[quote="vwwestyman"]I "fixed" my leak with a set of Just Kampers rear slider windows.

Now those are pretty slick. I've seen slider windows that replace the middle side windows, or jalousies before, but not the back side windows. Have you had them in for awhile? And they don't leak?

Thank you.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

[quote="BusterBrown"]
vwwestyman wrote:
I "fixed" my leak with a set of Just Kampers rear slider windows.

Now those are pretty slick. I've seen slider windows that replace the middle side windows, or jalousies before, but not the back side windows. Have you had them in for awhile? And they don't leak?

Thank you.

I installed them late spring this year. I haven't noticed any leaks with them at all. I can tell you for sure that if there is any kind of leak, it is very, very significantly less than the old window. And the air flow on a hot day is very nice indeed. Rear passengers certainly appreciate them!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Good report. Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, Just Campers will not ship them outside of UK.

"Sorry, you have items in your basket that can only be delivered to a Mainland UK address."

Hey, you're in Kansas. How the heck did you get them?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

I got them through CIP1 a year and a half ago when they had a "March Madness" sale. I stored them for nearly a year before I was able to install!

I think CIP1 is in Canada so that might be a good source for the OP.

But Bus Depot also sells them (along with a lot of other Just Kampers products--I didn't know they had them when I bought them from CIP1). So that would be a good source for folks in the US.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

Holy guacamole. Bus Depot does indeed have them, but at $270 each side, = X2 = $540! I know, spend the money, cry once. I just installed over $400 worth of Koni shocks today, so I know how that goes…

Thanks for the info! Shocked

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: drain hose in my 78 Westy closet over the spare tire well Reply with quote

I'm happy with them, for sure! I was lucky enough to find a set of the middle sliders on the classifieds once. So I only had to buy two sets of rear sliders to have sliders all around on the '73 and rear sliders in the '78.

Caesar likes the middle sliders in the '73.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: