Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer Questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

So know there have been a lot of post made about making the 3 1/8" VDO Tachometer fit into the extra Bay of the Dash cluster. Every time one of those post was followed up with a post to BusBoys and their retaining ring to hold it in. Any body out there have a method of making it fit in that extra bay without using that ring from BusBoys or found another place that has that ring? I've made several attempts to contact BusBoys and have gotten no where.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Bus Boys is out of business. As far as the ring goes, you can just make one. It's really not that hard, that's how mine is held into place.
’65 Deluxe Build
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17749&cat=&page=1

Might try over there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17749&cat=&page=1

Might try over there.

YES! Thank you! I have order items from them before but I completely spaced checking them for this.

richparker wrote:
I'm pretty sure Bus Boys is out of business. As far as the ring goes, you can just make one. It's really not that hard, that's how mine is held into place.

That's what I found after posting this. There's a thread in the "Buyer and Sellers Feedback" Forum where they seem to have come to conclusion that they've gone out of business. From what they were posting about the BusBoys, I can't say I'm surprised.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I made this template a while back. I just cut mine out of thin sheet metal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl1b6i7i0nhx72i/gauge-mounting-plate-1.pdf?dl=0

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

Just trim the block off plate w/Dreamial Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Just trim the block off plate w/Dremel Wink

This ^^^
I took my block off plate and reversed it, then used a hole saw to cut the opening. Just took a few minutes to do.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Their website still works:

http://www.bus-boys.com/
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I put a Sunpro Tach in my 71 Westy about 15 years ago. It fit up against the original trim and I think whatever held the dummy plate in place holds this in (been so long I can't remember). Was supper easy install and I think looks original @1st look. I posted a pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Starbucket on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
richparker wrote:

The water was still turned on at their property, but the electricity wasn't when I was there two months ago. There is also tons of product just sitting out rusting, and all the donor cars are gone…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I liked Walter over there. Good guy.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I just cut the center out of a spare block off plate like others. Fit perfect and hasn't moved in over five years. No need to buy one pre made.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
chabanais wrote:
richparker wrote:

The water was still turned on at their property, but the electricity wasn't when I was there two months ago. There is also tons of product just sitting out rusting, and all the donor cars are gone…

Robbie

Just curious, how do know the water was on? Did you wash your bus in there driveway? Wink
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
chabanais wrote:
richparker wrote:

Robbie

Couple of Vanagons and a lovely sad little BMW 2002 when I stopped by on August 1st.
Colin
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

captaincanuck wrote:
Just curious, how do know the water was on? Did you wash your bus in there driveway? Wink

AHEM! I'll have you know I do not was my bus in drought-struck states unless the water can be reclaimed. I legitimately checked their utilities to see if the business was still in operation; I assume the water is left on for fire protection if necessary.

Amskeptic wrote:

Couple of Vanagons and a lovely sad little BMW 2002 when I stopped by on August 1st.
Colin

The little BMW was cute, but I didn't figure it was part of their inventory! Did they have the mountain of rear axle parts still rusting out in the rain?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Questions Reply with quote

I think Wolfgang sells those retainers as well

Buuut, IMO you should spend another $100 and get one that matches the rest of the gauges. I just put one of the Smith tachs from CIP1 in, it's pretty noice

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: