Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1939 VW found in the Netherlands?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Ok guys, I just bumped into this article:

http://www.ad.nl/buitenland/kever-van-nazi-stond-jaren-in-zeeuwse-tuin~a121bcef7/

Unfortunately in Dutch, but it says that a 1939 VW has been found in a garden in Zeeland (a province in the Netherlands) and that it once belonged to the wife of Arthur Seyss-Inquart, a prominent Nazi (he was the much hated 'Reichskommissar' for the occupied Netherlands and was executed after the war).

There is little to go on at this stage and it all seems a liitle bit hard to believe. Also the license plates they show are definitely non-Dutch. They might be the ones used during the occupation though, I know nothing about those.

Apparently the car has been sold to a private museum.

What do you guys make of this?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Here's the picture and an auto translation to save the info. on the samba:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
In the garden of baker Mathieu Sonnemans in Burgh-Haamstede decades appears to have been the Volkswagen Beetle Gertrud Seyss-Inquart. That is confirmed by Eef Peters, owner of the Arnhem War Museum 40-45.

Peters, on holiday in New Zealand, discovered the car and informed it at the bakery. Mathieu Sonnemans: ,, We have always suspected that the Seyss-Inquart, the Reich Commissioner of the Nazis in the occupied Netherlands, has been. Peters has picked on the basis of the registration number. My brother and I are Volkswagengek. The Kevertje has always stood as eye-catcher for the shop. But we were never so convenient to the computer and in addition we were too busy. You must also plant bubbles in Wolfsburg and they're really not waiting for questions about their wartime past. "

Peters took the trouble is and discovered that the Beetle with the 'glasses' as rear window in Hanover in 1939 in the name of Gertrud Seyss -Inquart is put. ,, After the German surrender, the Kevertje in the garage of a villa in the Hague arriving, '' said Sonnemans. ,, those people were pro-German. Such cars were taboo. They were set on fire . the Beetle is later sold to a blacksmith at Tholen, which has been refurbished and used as a pickup truck. " By an individual in Serooskerke the car came late 60s when brothers Harry and Mathieu Sonnemans justified.

Collector's item

The car is now sold to the museum director. ,, He was very enthusiastic. I did not actually sell, but said ultimately amount. He shook my hand and said then he sold now. Restoration cost a grand or four of material and a lot of time. But it does add some on. For spectacles is readily six to ten thousandths paid. A collector's item like this brings a multiple thereof and Godfathers it goes to the United States, he captures the prize. For me it's a bit of youth sentiment disappears. ''

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

The (former) owner is known in the aircooled scene. He has joined meetings in this split bus for instance. Sonnemans is the name of his bakery.

For me that is the most strange part of this story. I can't imagine that he didn't know what he had.

Two other pictures I found of this bug. Unfortunatly they don't show much more.

MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Bit odd story Confused . Perhaps the baker was quoted wrong or he made up the '39 story? I have never been at this place but it is quite well known in the Dutch ACVW scene and it has or had some more interesting vehicles like this one

Looks like a Police Heb or Papler but is apparently a Mex or at least a much younger model.

Here's some more pictures and discussion (in Dutch)

http://keversite.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22520&hilit=haamstede

I would not be surprised if the "'39" is also pieced together Very Happy
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

http://www.pzc.nl/regio/schouwen-duiveland/seyss-i...-1.6386851

This article says it is bought by Eef Peters director of WWII Wartime Museum in Arnhem (www.arnhemsoorlogsmuseum.com) and that the car is a 1939 body on a 60s pan. I wonder if mr Peters made the call to Hessisch Oldendorf already Wink

Can't wait to see more info pop up Popcorn
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

I've read the story in two different newspapers.
I have to conclude that this story is complete bull shit.
Nobody leaves a car like that for decades in a garden and the former owner does know a lot about (old) beetles.
The statement that the restauration should take 4K in parts is totally ridiculous.
simmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

FAKE! 1950 BODY
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

simmy wrote:
FAKE! 1950 BODY

And how do you know that? Please teach us a little if you don't mind Smile

More pictures!

Photo's are from this site:
http://vidiphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/News-Feed/G00009cwYZEGJ25Y/
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Saw the link on Keversite. Thanks for positng here Turkis. Bumpers and fenders are definately not 1939 but otherwise I leave it up to the experts to comment Very Happy . Condition is outstanding given that it has been outside for so long.... Think .
roho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Cool, more good quality pictures!

Even I can see the bumpers don't match, but considering what needed to be done to the 1938 beetle we all know, this is a minor detail.

I am just wondering what it really is. Is the body really a 1939 one? Is the floorpan really from the sixties? Why leave it outside for so long, especially with a 1939 body and the (in)famous) owner? How will it be restored? By whom? Will it be displayed soon? Will we see it at VW meetings?

Popcorn
simmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

1960Turkis wrote:
simmy wrote:
FAKE! 1950 BODY

And how do you know that? Please teach us a little if you don't mind Smile

More pictures!

Photo's are from this site:
http://vidiphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/News-Feed/G00009cwYZEGJ25Y/

simmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

roho wrote:
Ok guys, I just bumped into this article:

http://www.ad.nl/buitenland/kever-van-nazi-stond-jaren-in-zeeuwse-tuin~a121bcef7/

Unfortunately in Dutch, but it says that a 1939 VW has been found in a garden in Zeeland (a province in the Netherlands) and that it once belonged to the wife of Arthur Seyss-Inquart, a prominent Nazi (he was the much hated 'Reichskommissar' for the occupied Netherlands and was executed after the war).

There is little to go on at this stage and it all seems a liitle bit hard to believe. Also the license plates they show are definitely non-Dutch. They might be the ones used during the occupation though, I know nothing about those.

Apparently the car has been sold to a private museum.

What do you guys make of this?

BODY 1950 AND CHASSIS FROM VW 181 THING

MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

My I ask where you found the last pictures simmy?

Judging by the pictures it does have a lot of characteristics from a 1950 split... Confused Also big coincidence the tag is missing....

Maybe the new owner wants to try to create a hype and then sell for big $$$?
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

I just heard from a friend today that this car was a 1943 body on ??? chassie. I also heard there was a 1950 VW bus there?? sold that to. The guy was into world war II stuff from what I understand and was not a real knowledgeable vintage VW guy. The other two convertibles are homemade from 1960's beetles.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

I see nothing in these pictures that looks any older than '50. The hub caps look like the really early flying swastika ones but those were reproduced in the 80s or 90's.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

The Dutch license plate DL-83-75 does refer to a (imported in 1996) 1960's beetle. So the story of it being on a 1960 floorpan might be true.
See: https://www.rdw.nl/_layouts/Rdw.Internet.Portal/Ov...fault.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

who are those morons pushing it ? they don't even know what there looking at . Confused they think they found the holy grail. it's a 50 or newer you dummies Confused probably on a thing pan like the other guy said.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
who are those morons pushing it ? they don't even know what there looking at . Confused they think they found the holy grail. it's a 50 or newer you dummies Confused probably on a thing pan like the other guy said.

Well I guess for all the Dutch people here it's just a bit disappointing that it seems to be one big scam. The 'discovery' was al over the news. The newspaper I got today spent a full page on it. That really brings the question on what they base that it is 1939, formal car of Arthur Seyss-Inquart etc etc.

But I have to agree (certainly after seeing the pictures simmy posted); it seems that maybe the license plates are pre ww2 but everything else is not. Well that's disappointing but lets move on Cool At least it proves that one should not believe the media Laughing
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

Yep very disappointing but not surprising. It even was a news item last night on national TV here in The Netherlands http://www.kijk.nl/video/7vfvkRClAlrU
The guy talking is the new owner and museum owner. Car is already in the museum according to the clip and waiting for a full restoration. He is showing the number plates that gave it all away Laughing . Stupid media to believe this. Probably in a few years this is sold to some classic car investor who does not have a clue about ACVWs but because the whole story is on the internet it must be true... Rolling Eyes .
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 VW found in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that things like this happen and then due to media coverage it becomes a story that's perpetuated for decades to come. There's nothing on that body that screams 1943 to me. In fact it looks like something that a war re-enactor probably built within the last 20 years and then just parked. Those hubcaps are clearly repros. Looks like a half assed attempt at a Type 82 that some people hyped up and "alerted" news outlets about. A shame and a disservice to those out there fortunate enough to own the real McCoys...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: