Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Syncro with new LED headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"at any speed there would be less contact between road and tire" -- eh???

BTW - a guy has tested LEDs (for old sports cars) and found that the JW Speakers are better than the TruckLites (which are the same as GE Nighthawks)

he ruled out the Pilot Nolden VP-3106B
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
"at any speed there would be less contact between road and tire" -- eh???

Squirrelly steering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

p.s. I'm no expert by any means… just speculation from stuff I was reading recently on a offroad forum. They were debating unsprung weight and it's effects. The rock crawlers were in favor, but others mentioned how it made steering poor at any kind of speed.
I would like to be wrong, the wheel mounted motor is a cool idea, it's been around for a while and I hope they make progress.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to the party

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and an ancestor of the Vanagon to boot!

there might be some sort of gyroscopic effect from the hub motor and the assembly is certainly heavier, but IIRC Lotus Eng. did the testing

I look forward to further evolution of EVs AND LEDs
billybeau124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

so ...

the 8700's are the outer lens
and the 8630's are your hi beam?

and these are plug and play or there are some alterations needed?

Billy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

This LED headlight setup won't be plug and play for vans of any model year.

The outer 7" lights (JW Speaker 8700 Evolution V2) come with an H4 male plug. This will fit into the stock 80-85 headlight sockets, but won't work with the stock 86-91 sockets, which are 9004 sockets.

The inner lights (JW Speaker 8630) can be set up with multiple headlight plug choices due to the modular design. If you choose to go with the low/high beam version for the inner lights, the most obvious choice would be to use an H4 plug just like the outer lights.

I can make you a headlight harness that will be easy to install and will allow all 4 lights to work on low beam and high beam. I can also configure a harness to work like the standard South African grill (outer lights only on low beam, all four on high beam). If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I will sort out a price.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

This is what I currently run on my Suzuki 1200 motorcycle, my daily commuter nearly 365 days a year here in Seattle. I will likely be putting them in my '85 Westy soon, as they are simply the best driving light I've ever experienced. I often have to leave for the hospital in the middle of the night for an emergency call case, and often come home well after dark. These have a firmly defined cutoff, with no artifacts in funny placed. It has truly delivered on the promise of what LED lighting can be. They aren't cheap, but they do what's advertised. And those rare instances when I hit the hi-beam switch (in the middle of the night when the highway is empty) it is a LIGHT CANNON. Shocked

Well worth the coin.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headl...sion/3146/
mapleridgeclint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
They are extreme bright Smile

Hey mreuter, off topic question here but what colour is your van? It looks like orly blue but with some pearl in the colour. Did you custom paint your van or is it just your fantastic photography skills that make the colour pop Wink ? We love it!
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

mapleridgeclint wrote:
mreuter wrote:

Hey mreuter, off topic question here but what colour is your van? It looks like orly blue but with some pearl in the colour. Did you custom paint your van or is it just your fantastic photography skills that make the colour pop Wink ? We love it!

The Van came original in Orley blue but was painted before I bought it. The color is fantastic but I still have to find out the details. I was looking into sending some paint to an online shop to copy the color because I need some touch up paint .
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
Dammit!!! EU requires all halogen or LED lights to be CE-signed and auto adjustable. This is one of the best updates I've seen - and I can't do it... Sad

Well since they cannot ship these to the United States they might just have a CE sticker!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Projection-Daymak...headlights

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
lloydy wrote:
Wow, they seriously fit in the vanagon outer bracket with no mods whatsoever? That's great! With the jw bracket for the inners, does it mount on to the SA bracket or did you have to make something up?

It mounts on the SA bracket but you have to increase the inner hole. I check if I have pictures...

How did you increase the inner hole?
Love to see more, as I am trying to copy your install.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

I did this upgrade last month.

My 91 Westy had rectangular E-codes with relays and high watt bulbs. It was the best lighting possible in the rectangular form factor:

Rectangles are a dead end--nobody is making new lenses in that size, and I cracked several in the past few years, meaning I would have to look in Canada or Europe for replacements.

I wanted to future proof the lighting system. I wanted less wattage (reducing alternator load) and less heat. I wanted no fragile bulb filaments. I wanted polycarbonate lenses instead of glass. I wanted DOT compliant LED lamps made in the USA, not overseas. I wanted better buckets with better aiming. I wanted a universal headlight. I wanted to eliminate the inner brights. I wanted color temperatures that are consistent from the instant of turning on, and I wanted no dazzle or glare for oncoming drivers. I wanted a good grill design with multiple fastener locations (no South Africa grill--flimsy plastic and held on by one screw). I wanted to pay around $700 for this setup.

This setup is two JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED projector headlights in GoWesty headlight buckets (with metal adjusters!) and a 1985 Vanagon single round headlight grill. I got everything I wanted with this setup. I've put about 2000 miles on these so far and they are great.

I am extremely pleased... and these lights get a lot of questions, especially from people who know the difference--truckers and tow truck drivers have approached me to ask about them.

kourt
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

so, it sounds like Jay's 2015 pricing prediction on p. 1 has come true - Zehr Gut
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:

Just an aside, my 15 year old son has picked your bus out as the best he has ever seen.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Messy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:

Hi sorry to bump an old thread, can you show how the inner ones were mounted please?
Drawbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Syncro with new LED headlights Reply with quote

Could you confirm that with this setup you can't have pilot light anymore ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: