Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
This is awesome! I wish I saw this before I bought the GW bumper set. They want another $350.00 for their swing away that attaches to their bumper.

As far as securing the swing away to the bumper: How about using a high tension quick release pin? People in the military will recognize these with the "Remove before flight" streamer attached to them Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.avibank.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.prods&product_id=16

Great Job! Looks fantastic!

Westylife.

Just remember to keep them lubricated!
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

Great job SSWesty. How's it working out?
I'm planning on merging some of your design for a swing out bike rack.
How much would you say the whole bumper and one swing arm would weight? any idea?
Thanks again.....
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

I would like a swing out bike rack that supports two mountain bikes. I'm using part of this design in this post for my new swing away-bike rack, which will be mounted to a new rear bumper as well.
I'm on the drawing board now. I'm thinking of using my existing steel mounts to beef up the bumper to support the swing arm for bikes, similar to what SSWESTY has going on.
One issue is the end of the mounts I have are not plumb vertically. So my idea is to weld on some angle iron, kinda like this....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not yet. My other option would be to not use them at all and build an all new mounting bracket similar to bracket in above pics.
Any thoughts?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to build my own swing away tire carrier like this that still uses the stock fibreglass rear bumper

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to build my own swing away tire carrier like this that still uses the stock fibreglass rear bumper

Yes, me too. Its a drag that these bumper mounts are not true vertical as I would like to have a vertical face on the new bumper.
Also, if you look at this guys thread pics, I dont know how he reinforced the inside-end of the bumper where the swing-arm mount goes. I would think you'd need extra support there.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

Oh boy it's been about 5 years since I've touched this thread and missed a couple questions.

Weight - I don't have an exact weight but it's probably around 50 pounds.
Corner bracing - Where the swing-outs attach it caused the bumper to twist a little when the swing-outs where open. I added a gusset during the build on the back side of the bumper that ties into the end cap and that firmed it up.
Pivot points - Even though this is just metal on metal with no bushings or bearings they work fine. I don't really see that much wear if any on the swing-outs. They probably only get opened about 30 times a year if that.
One bump test - I backed into a tree one night in the middle of no where and hit the corner. Didn't even scuff the rattle can paint but did collect a small bark sample on the bumper. Thankfully that has been it in terms of impact.
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper, Hitch & Tire/Fuel swing away build Reply with quote

I’m now contemplating the rear bumper/hitch project. First, I’d like to say THANK YOU to SS for his beautiful work and posting and pics. I’m curious if the other folks on the thread would be willing to share what they ended up doing?
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: