Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Database
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
In my limited research of Acapulco models no one has shared the production VIN number range for these rare models. That's why I began collecting VIN numbers of the ones I'd seen for sale or in photos. The database VIN numbers I shared give you the range up to this point. Maybe someone can continue to add authentic Acapulcos to this database so the information gets more definitive.

Is this one authentic? 184 2 625 019 Thanks.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

The only way to determine the authenticity of an Acapulco Thing is to view photos of the Acapulco-only features & colors and check it's within the known Acapulco VIN # range. If you'd like to send me your Acapulco's photos (to [email protected]) I'll do my best to confirm its authenticity for you.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
The only way to determine the authenticity of an Acapulco Thing is to view photos of the Acapulco-only features & colors and check it's within the known Acapulco VIN # range. If you'd like to send me your Acapulco's photos (to [email protected]) I'll do my best to confirm its authenticity for you.

Do you know what the known VIN range is?

---Captain Ron
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

If someone is keeping up on the database

#184 2 543 906 in Central OH

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I gave Lee my email, so I will take this over. For now, this thread is a good place to put info. As my recovery continues, I will PM those who add their Acapulco to the list. I can be PM'd as well. I will return to driving in roughly four weeks, and driving a stick in another 4-8 weeks after that -- so my activity at a computer will slowly step up in similar accordance.

I have some ideas as to how I might move forward with this as a carryover from my Super Beetle days that ended abruptly more than seven years ago. I welcome suggestions.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

I would like to add your database of authentic Acapulco Things to the Registry list.

Thanks.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:

Trying again. What is the known Acapulco VIN # range?

---Captain Ron
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
The only way to determine the authenticity of an Acapulco Thing is to view photos of the Acapulco-only features & colors and check it's within the known Acapulco VIN # range. If you'd like to send me your Acapulco's photos (to [email protected]) I'll do my best to confirmation its authenticity for you.

It's the best answer I can give you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
Lee Hedges wrote:

He gives a range in the first post of this thread and there is a listing on page 1 as well.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

We will add this information to the VW Thing Registry database. Thanks, Lee
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
hobie16 wrote:
Lee Hedges wrote:

He gives a range in the first post of this thread and there is a listing on page 1 as well.

"I'm building a database of authentic Acapulco Things. After speaking with Ron Domeck & others I've discovered that Acapulco Things were only built between May & July 1974. So far, the confirmed authentic Acapulco Things have VIN #s between #184 254 2004 and #184 254 4064 (so far)."
The "so far" threw me off. It seems to indicate there are more.

---Captain Ron
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee sent me a copy of the database as I have volunteered to handle it moving forward. I am still recovering from surgery so I probably won't do much in the next few weeks except add and correct info pertaining to my Acapulco that is listed. This is how I plan to act moving forward when I can play at my computer full time.

But first, I am reasonably sure the "so far" reference is because there are more Acapulco models having existed and still exist than the ones that are on the list. In fact, the records from my Thing's previous owner indicates they had owned an Acapulco prior to the one that was sold to me. It seems it may have been totaled at one point, and they used the insurance settlement to purchase the replacement which I now own. I will add that VIN and any other info when I can dig into that paperwork now in storage.

1 - I will actively add more Acapulco models and their information to the database when I get that info.

2 - I would also like to add other details if known, including pics.

3 - IMPORTANT: I plan to NOT SHARE certain info on this database and some info I may add. This will include contact info via TheSamba, email addresses, license plate numbers, etc. -- anything that may promote people being solicited or targeted in any way. I don't like being telemarketed, and being a victim of identity theft is even worse. Indeed, if I ever contact someone on this list and they don't want me to ever contact them again, they won't hear a peep from me.

4 - I will give periodic updates on general info as it may be interesting to all enthusiasts. This will include the number of verifiable Acapulco models as well as probable, possible, and replicable models. (Replicable models will be singled out more vigorously as their info doesn't pertain to VW manufacturing or assembly.) VINs, engine numbers, manufacturing dates, and latest locations (state or country only) will be the primary focus of these updates. If a peculiarity shows up -- like a VIN that expands the range or a color differential such as a green and white version I once saw somewhere on the Internet -- I will take special note. Otherwise, I may give an update once per season or so.

Anyone who has info on an Acapulco can contact me with confidence -- either through this thread, or a new thread I will start when I am more recovered, or quietly behind the scenes through a PM.

I am also open to any and all suggestions. I am doing this for the community.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I sent you a PM. Thanks.

oasis wrote:
Lee sent me a copy of the database as I have volunteered to handle it moving forward. I am still recovering from surgery so I probably won't do much in the next few weeks except add and correct info pertaining to my Acapulco that is listed. This is how I plan to act moving forward when I can play at my computer full time.

But first, I am reasonably sure the "so far" reference is because there are more Acapulco models having existed and still exist than the ones that are on the list. In fact, the records from my Thing's previous owner indicates they had owned an Acapulco prior to the one that was sold to me. It seems it may have been totaled at one point, and they used the insurance settlement to purchase the replacement which I now own. I will add that VIN and any other info when I can dig into that paperwork now in storage.

1 - I will actively add more Acapulco models and their information to the database when I get that info.

2 - I would also like to add other details if known, including pics.

3 - IMPORTANT: I plan to NOT SHARE certain info on this database and some info I may add. This will include contact info via TheSamba, email addresses, license plate numbers, etc. -- anything that may promote people being solicited or targeted in any way. I don't like being telemarketed, and being a victim of identity theft is even worse. Indeed, if I ever contact someone on this list and they don't want me to ever contact them again, they won't hear a peep from me.

4 - I will give periodic updates on general info as it may be interesting to all enthusiasts. This will include the number of verifiable Acapulco models as well as probable, possible, and replicable models. (Replicable models will be singled out more vigorously as their info doesn't pertain to VW manufacturing or assembly.) VINs, engine numbers, manufacturing dates, and latest locations (state or country only) will be the primary focus of these updates. If a peculiarity shows up -- like a VIN that expands the range or a color differential such as a green and white version I once saw somewhere on the Internet -- I will take special note. Otherwise, I may give an update once per season or so.

Anyone who has info on an Acapulco can contact me with confidence -- either through this thread, or a new thread I will start when I am more recovered, or quietly behind the scenes through a PM.

I am also open to any and all suggestions. I am doing this for the community.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

This is a note to all Acapulco owners that Eric has agreed to take over the Acapulco database. His enthusiasm in reconstructing the Thing Registry and about all things Things makes him the best choice to continue the fine work Lee had started.

I will still be on the lookout to help add to this database. Thanks!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Is it true that Richard of Fast and Loud bought the blue and white one at Barret Jackson?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Is it true that Richard of Fast and Loud bought the blue and white one at Barret Jackson?
Yes brother Scotts friend was there and watched him buy it I hope he doesn't mess it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Excellent thread on Acapulco Things, I recently purchased a 74 Thing that has some Mexican Resort Hotel History and was later sold to a local resident who worked at the Hotel, he re-painted it several times and changed seats, removed and lost the top as the years went by, I bought it from his son and am trying to determine if it is an Acapulco or maybe a one off for some Hotel, I am not sure if someone could have special ordered on from the Mexican plant or a dealer after the two month run, I say that because my VIN is 1842817169, the son says he remembers the top and it was the same as all the others except he thought it came down along the windshield pillar as usual but the bracket then turned and was mounted to the windshield hinges which if you look at them now have factory threaded holes on the tops of them, does anyone recognize them?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

desertvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I forgot to mention he also said it had no mirrors (the one in the pic was an add on much later according to him), I am not sure if that had anything to do with the bracket going to the hinge, pictures are in the Thing Gallery if you need a closer look, thanks.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

desertvw wrote:
Excellent thread on Acapulco Things, I recently purchased a 74 Thing that has some Mexican Resort Hotel History and was later sold to a local resident who worked at the Hotel, he re-painted it several times and changed seats, removed and lost the top as the years went by, I bought it from his son and am trying to determine if it is an Acapulco or maybe a one off for some Hotel, I am not sure if someone could have special ordered on from the Mexican plant or a dealer after the two month run, I say that because my VIN is 1842817169, the son says he remembers the top and it was the same as all the others except he thought it came down along the windshield pillar as usual but the bracket then turned and was mounted to the windshield hinges which if you look at them now have factory threaded holes on the tops of them, does anyone recognize them?

Hi desertvw,

I looked on our website and your Thing is not listed (www.vwthingregistry.com) We took over the Acapulco database last year that Lee started. They made about 400 Acapulco's (Option #M660) in 1974. As you can see from the Registry list, the VIN's were not specific or in any order for Acapulco's. The only real way yo tell if your Thing was an Acapulco would be to check the original color (white/blue), behind the dash panel should be blue. They had running boards, you will see holes. and the Acapulco top. I hope this helps. Please register your Thing on our webpage when you have time. Thanks.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Eric Goodman wrote:
As you can see from the Registry list, the VIN's were not specific or in any order for Acapulco's. The only real way yo tell if your Thing was an Acapulco would be to check the original color (white/blue), behind the dash panel should be blue.

Have you now changed your contention that Acapulco's fell into a specific VIN range? The back side of all three sections of my dash panel is painted blue on the back and there are holes in the fenders for running boards.

---Captain Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: