Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Hi. Approx a year ago I obtained a '71 Super Beetle from a friend. Within a week I was at my local Auto Club to do the transfer. Since this car was not safe/legal to be driven, it was going to be parked on the property I rent while I develop a game plan for her. Approx 6 months later my landlord wanted to do some work on his unit and asked me to park the car on the street. I found myself back at the local Auto Club now putting basic liability insurance on the car as it was now to be on the street.
Here's the kicker. Within a month or so I receive a letter from the Calif DMV stating the registration is now suspended. The form stated registration suspended for lack of insurance! The car was subsequently moved to a friend's shop parking lot while I hash this out.
My intention is to write the DMV a detailed letter with a chronological log of when the car was obtained, where it was parked, stating the reason for this, and the change in where the car was to be parked on the roadway, and why.
My question to anyone is has anyone experienced this scenario, and why did it happen. Did I do something wrong? Any tips on dealing with the DMV. When I approached my local Auto Club they stated this scenario was out of their scope of expertise. How should I approach from today onwards?
Thanks in advance, Bill.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

So its' currently registered, right (wither regular or non-op)? And the ticket was for no insurance, not for lack of registration.

Talk to a supervisor at AAA. You paid good money for them to handle registration (in your annual fees).

Someone probably reported a non-working car on the street, a cop ran the plates/VIN, and came up empty. It may be DMV's database that is wrong, but it was AAA's job to get it fully registered. Don't let them pass the buck.

Hint: try a smaller town's DMV if you eventually have to go there. The big ones in the city or suburbs are far too busy to take any interest in solving the problem. Where around L.A. are you?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Hi Phil.
No, no citation on windshield or in the mail from parking enforcement/police.
Seems to all be internal to our DMV. Prefer to stay away from a DMV office. That's why I joined AAA.
At this point, I don't know if I f'd up or DMV is to blame.
After reading the current bay bus thread by KentPS, regarding his purchase of a non-running bus, I thought of my personal scenario with this super. By him registering it within the allotted time and has the car in his garage/or property, for an extended duration, while he brings it back to life, will Kent suffer the same scenario as I have?
PS, I'm in Burbank. Bill
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Your chassis number (a/k/a VIN) is probably not of the 17 digit alphanumeric variety. If so, DMV computers can have a problem with them. Don't ask me how I know. If this is the case and the folks at your AAA office claim that they can't help you, then they're full of crap.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Was it insured while it was sitting on the property? Or did it only have insurance once it got moved to the street? If it was uninsured while NOT being on the street then I'm guessing that's your problem.

The only way around that is to put the car on "non op". Otherwise it MUST have current insurance.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

I've had AAA for about fourty years and the same thing happened to me a few years ago, I went to get a stated value insurance on my Ghia and was denied since it wasn't in a secured location, AAA never told me I was denied and ended up getting the same letter from the DMV with a $25 fine for not having insurance on the car. Now my car was never outside on the street so I doubt that someone turned you in, I called AAA to reimburse me the $25 fine but they were no help so I just ate it, not worth the trouble to be on the phone trying to get my money back. BTW I love AAA and all the extra things they do for me like very rarely having to go to the DMV office.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Arizona. About a dozen years ago I was stopped by a cop who ran my plates, the computer "told" him that I did not have insurance. I showed him my insurance card, turns out that previous insurance company sent in an end of insurance to the state, and therefore I had trouble getting that removed. Basically, no matter what proof of insurance I provided the state, the information HAD to come from either the insurance company or from my agent directly; state did not tell me that. Took several months to straighten that out.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

In your post, the thread says "The form stated registration suspended for lack of insurance!"

There ya go! Get proof the car was registered at the time period of time in question and present that to them.

I couldn't tell if the car is in NON OP status or currently registered??

Lets say its in your name and you hold title.

In California

It's another can of worms if you park a car on the public roadway with a non op status on the vehicle. If registered? With out minimum insurance levels even tho you hold title to that vehicle your registration can be suspended.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

AAA's fault. They are supposed to send the proof electronically when you pay the fees. Send a copy of your insurance to DMV or have AAA do it again.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

jason wrote:
AAA's fault. They are supposed to send the proof electronically when you pay the fees. Send a copy of your insurance to DMV or have AAA do it again.

Actually, here's AAA's deal (I've been through this more than once, unfortunately). If you get a dun notice regarding your registration because of "lack of proof of insurance," then if AAA carries your insurance they'll take care of it. If they don't, then you have to go through the company that has your policy. And then typically go to the DMV afterwards in person to sort it out. It's a royal PITA but I end up doing it about once every other year because I have a car with a 5 digit "VIN."
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

This is simple. Any vehicle in California that is currently registered has to have insurance.

If you want to take it off insurance for any reason, you have to file for PNO (planned non operation). If you register a car and then don't insure it right away, they will suspend the registration. Nothing else matters.

The end.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Yep^ If it is registered it must be insured where you are parking it or even driving it has nothing to do with it, years ago you had to mail in proof of insurance to CA DMV, in resent years it is done electronically, DMV did not have proof of insurance and that got the ball rolling prior to you getting insurance...

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Not true for me. I have cars with no insurance that are registered. They just cant touch any public street. Renewel time they need insurance.
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Bill,

Not sure from your OP ...

Did you transfer the title into your name after you bought the vehicle a year ago ?

If you did & if you did not intend for it to be operated on the road - did you notify DMV in writing of that ?

If not & if it remained active in their system as being currently registered then you are required to keep state minimum insurance active.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Not true for me. I have cars with no insurance that are registered. They just cant touch any public street. Renewel time they need insurance.

Wow, you are so cool the rules don't apply to you. Must be nice.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

jason wrote:

I'd like to know how you are pulling that one off...
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

Never said I was cool, dick. I register it drive it for a bit then take it off the insurance. Put another one on and drive it. Nothing special happening or law breaking. Like I said earlier, they have to be registered if they touch any public road. Insurance too. Maybe Im lucky that AAA doesnt tell DMV, my registration has never been suspended. My insurance also goes up if I take a VW off my insurance. So some years I do the opposite, non op with insurance.

To original poster just go to DMV with your insurance card. Maybe take something that also shows you had insurance at the time, only need that if you received a ticket.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: In Calif, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Reply with quote

I dont think DMV requires insurance for a non-op registered car . If they do...im in trouble Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: