Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In Search of Air Filter Housing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtholtzclaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first post.

I just purchased a 1983 Air Cooled Vanagon Westfalia. I took it to a local VW mechanic who "tuned" it for me but he did not address any of the issues I asked him to and was unwilling to do much of the work no matter how much I was willing to spend. So I guess I am going to become my own mechanic.Shocked

I am looking for a new air filter housing or just the plastic hose that goes from the air filter housing to somewhere else. Right now the air is just coming directly from the engine compartment. Is it o.k. the way it is? Any idea where I can find this part? Also, there dose not seem to be anything to connect it to. Where is the air suppose to come from? Am I missing an entire assembly?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness!
Best place to find one would be to check the classifieds sections here on thesamba in the "General Parts"

check this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...air+filter

Ask this guy, "SleepyJoe". He is routinely parting out Vanagons so if he doesn't have one no one does! He only takes money orders, no paypal so that is a bit of a pita.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=302611

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

You can run it like that, the only part your missing is just a plastic elbow that directs cleaner air coming in from the air intake (a-pillar) into the filter.

Your air filter might get a littler dirtier quicker, but you probably won't notice.

I see a several things on your engine that you can work on, so start reading up.
change all your fuel lines first, or your new Westy could go up in flames quickly, don't put your family in it till ya do.

Last edited by mightyart on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
You can run it like that, the only part your missing is just a plastic elbow that directs cleaner air coming in from the air intake (a-pillar) into the filter.

Your air filter might get a littler dirtier quicker, but you probably won't notice.

agree ok to run without. the hose that goes here is meant to pull cooler cleaner air directly from the grill up high on the rear side panel. may get more dirt or some water in there other wise. water issue would be from road splash.

you could add a length of hose to that port and route hose up towards the grill if you want.

boy these aircooled bus motors sure look like the L jets in the later 914 cars.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

Quote:
boy these aircooled bus motors sure look like the L jets in the later 914 cars.

You are correct sir. Very Happy
The engines are very similar, in fact if you're good at working on one, you could work on the other pretty easily, but there are differences between them.
Differences that don't make them interchangeable.
We all know that anything is possible, but you don't want to use a bus engine in a 914 or vise versa.
kurtholtzclaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

I see a several things on your engine that you can work on, so start reading up.
change all your fuel lines first, or your new Westy could go up in flames quickly, don't put your family in it till ya do.

Thanks Mightyart! I will go ahead and order the fuel lines. Is there anything else obvious in the photos that you can see? I am having some trouble with the engine cutting out while idling after it warms up. Not a big deal on the highway but a pain while driving around town.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

to the OP... I think the the plastic block off plate is missing too - it's where the air hose connected to the cavity of the pillar.. also look in the pillar to see if the snorkel is still there - if you don't want to replace them then just run a flexible hose up to the pillar and secure it there...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7356256
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

VW didn't add the snorkle up the pillar till digifant.
the 2.0l aircooled engines had a rubber elbow that connected the rear most valance and drew air from the pillar.
the 1.9l digijet had just a 90* bent elbow/air horn into the cavity.
the 2.1l digifant had a block off plate and paper hose connected to the plastic snorkle.
the Syncro added a vortex media filter with a detachable cup before the air cleaner.
the Diesels ran into a water separator in the DS cavity and then to a snorkle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of Air Filter Housing Reply with quote

kurtholtzclaw wrote:
Is there anything else obvious in the photos that you can see? I am having some trouble with the engine cutting out while idling after it warms up. Not a big deal on the highway but a pain while driving around town.

I figured you'ed ask me that, so here goes.
First the idle problem.
more then likely a vac leak.
you need to replace all the old rubber hose on the engine, some of the cloth covered hose is original, 30 year old hose isn't the best.
vac leaks are usually found in two spots.
here: http://www.busdepot.com/022133083d
and a little rubber elbow that comes off the aux air regulator.
also the big air intake elbow has a tendency to crack.
Anyways take all the hoses off and inspect/replace them.

This is what I can see from your picture.
you have the wrong engine compartment seal, that's from a bay window bus, the correct seal is expensive, so people cheap-out and try to use a foam bay seal. You have to make sure the air cooling system is at 100 percent. if you run an aircooled vanagon hot for to long you will drop a valve seat. (it may drop a valve seat if you just look at it funny. best way to prevent this is making sure everything's at 100 percent.)
Your F.I. wiring is routed wrong, should go behind the engine.
hose from the air filter housing to the charcoal canister is missing.
one of the rings around the spark plug wire needs to be pushed down to cover the hole in the tin.
These are all small things but they add up, and suck the life out of your aircooled motor.
If your planning on camping, and taking long trips to camp and enjoy yourself, get it all right at home. then you won't have am enjoyable weekend ruined by a breakdown.

You want it to look something like this:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: