Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ25 rev limiter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gusvangone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've recently installed an EJ25 in my 84, manual trans westy. It's the second EJ25 now. The first was from a 1996 automatic Outback. I did the harness and install myself and everything was fine until the motor decided to have an internal mechanical tantrum.
I have now installed another EJ25 from a 1997 manual trans Outback. The vehicle now has a couple of issues:
- It's hard to start. Takes a few tries and numerous cranks (I think this was also an issue with other motor so I suspect it's fuel pump and/or ignition switch issues)
- It seems to rev out (as if there was a rev limiter installed) at quite a low RPM. I don't have a tach or a scan tool but it feels like it would be about 3000-3500 RPM. It happens in all gears.

I have cleaned and swapped out the idle control, throttle sens, MAF, even put the ECU in from the 1997.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this rev issue??

Thanks!
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

Do you have a VSS installed? That will lower the Rev limiter and throw a code. Get a scan tool you can get cheap Bluetooth obd2 readers for 20$ online these days. Also the start issue is probably because your starter doesn't have enough power to turn the Subaru motor over. Tdi starter with adapter plate will solve that issue.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

Can't help with rev part but the stock starter in my '87 has worked fine for ten years. If the engine turns over OK then it not a starter issue. If it turns over too slow then check you battery connections and grounds and connections at the starter. Good luck. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

Check and clear codes. Sounds like it's in limp mode
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

A rev limiter is of course supposed to protect your engine if the system brain doesn't like what it's seeing. You really need to get a good OBDII reader or use one from a shop to check the code definitions of your issue(s), fix those and then clear the brain codes as Shelley said.

I personally like high torque starters.
gusvangone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

I do have a VSS installed (which worked well with the previous engine) and I also have the TDI starter installed.
Seems like I'll invest in a scan tool to get it figured out.
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

What do your grounds look like? The one on the nose of the transaxle gave me some issues before I replaced it. What VSS are you running?
gusvangone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

I polished up the grounds in the engine bay but I haven't checked the one on the transaxle.
I'm running the modified jetta VSS on speedo
dustibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 rev limiter Reply with quote

Throttle position sensor Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: