Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bazooka subwoofers installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

I am in the process of installing my audio system. So far what I have done:

-run 14ga speaker wire...2 runs to the rear hatch and one to each front door. All the runs end behind the glove box where the amp will be.
-install new speakers...4 inch pioneers in the door and 6.5 inch pioneers in the hatch panel.
-Install new head unit from custom stereo Corp
-install amp...rca cables from head unit to amp, speaker wires from amp to speakers.

So far so good. I bought an 8" self amplified bazooka tube from amazon because I like that it fits under the glove box and I'm just looking to fill in the bottom end, not shake the entire van with bass. The bazooka tube wiring is pretty simple. It came with pretty easy to follow instructions but I dont know how it will work with my setup. It has 2 rca cables that are supposed to plug into the head unit. The rca outs on my head unit are already taken up with the cables going to the amp...what do I do about this? The sub also wants you to splice into factory speaker wires at the back ofthe head unit. Only thing is my speaker wires don't go to the head unit. Can I tap into the speaker wires after the amp?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

You can use the RCAs or speaker wire.
I would get a head unit with 2 pairs of RCAs but splitters may be fine.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

My head unit only has 2 rca outs. My amp is a 4 channel amp. I have the 2 rca's from the head unit running to splitters so I can plug into 4 channels for my 4 speakers.

If I'm understanding you correctly, if I use the provided fast harness from the bazooka to tap into the speaker wires, I don't have to worry about the rca's? They just give you both so you have the option for either?

Edited to add: I know I should get a head unit with two rca pre amp outputs but I can't stand the blinking and blinding lights on modern head units. The custom stereo Corp head unit is simple, has separate knob for tuning and volume, and has aux in for playing off of phone or ipod.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:
My head unit only has 2 rca outs. My amp is a 4 channel amp. I have the 2 rca's from the head unit running to splitters so I can plug into 4 channels for my 4 speakers.

Typically you would want a head unit that has 3 pairs of RCA's: (1) Front L/R, (1) Rear L/R, (1) Dedicated Sub.

Since you only have the two and they are both occupied by the 4-channel amp then you're left with 2 options. A splitter (mentioned above) on the front or rear L/R (which I probably wouldn't do) or you can wire into the original Front L/R speaker wires.

Usually when you tap into the speaker wires it's called a line-out converter. I'm guessing your Bazooka sub has one built in (which is nice). I know your speakers are going to your amp but you should still have the original speaker wires (short ones coming out of the deck) that are no longer going to anything. You can hook up to those.

Your deck doesn't care that you're using the RCA outputs, it's still putting signal out through the original speaker wires. The Bazooka will convert that signal as a source.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:
jacob. wrote:

Typically you would want a head unit that has 3 pairs of RCA's: (1) Front L/R, (1) Rear L/R, (1) Dedicated Sub.

Since you only have the two and they are both occupied by the 4-channel amp then you're left with 2 options. A splitter (mentioned above) on the front or rear L/R (which I probably wouldn't do) or you can wire into the original Front L/R speaker wires.

Usually when you tap into the speaker wires it's called a line-out converter. I'm guessing your Bazooka sub has one built in (which is nice). I know your speakers are going to your amp but you should still have the original speaker wires (short ones coming out of the deck) that are no longer going to anything. You can hook up to those.

Your deck doesn't care that you're using the RCA outputs, it's still putting signal out through the original speaker wires. The Bazooka will convert that signal as a source.

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

Worked like a charm. Holy shit it sounds good. I've never been in a car with anything but a stock system. The combination of 4 inch in the front, 6.5 inch in the rear, and the sub under the glove box fills out so well. I can't believe how good it sounds. It's like hearing totally new songs...things in the music I never noticed were there. Really happly with this upgrade, nearly as much as the subaru engine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

the next big sound upgrade is to bolt 1 of these to the bottom of each seat, with a low pass filter (40-50Hz)

https://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AST-2B-4-Shaker-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0002ZPTBI

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:
Worked like a charm. Holy shit it sounds good. I've never been in a car with anything but a stock system. The combination of 4 inch in the front, 6.5 inch in the rear, and the sub under the glove box fills out so well. I can't believe how good it sounds. It's like hearing totally new songs...things in the music I never noticed were there. Really happly with this upgrade, nearly as much as the subaru engine.

Nice! Makes me want to install my tiny Kenwood sub... I've put that off for a year.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

This Clarion AMP can handle both speaker wire or RCA as input.

Link,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarion-XC1410-300W-RMS-4-...1679921350
jslew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

Wouldnt using a splitter change the ohm load?
Should make sure your amp & spkrs will play nice together ohm wise. They'll work no matter what, just might not live as long as possible.
'73 Baja
'74 Spec Ed Love Bug - my first car bought in '86!
'89 Vanagon GL
'92 Corrado SLC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bazooka subwoofers installation Reply with quote

jslew wrote:
Wouldnt using a splitter change the ohm load?
Should make sure your amp & spkrs will play nice together ohm wise. They'll work no matter what, just might not live as long as possible.

Nah, the ohm load is only affected when wiring multiple speakers in series or parallel. In the OPs case, he is only using the splitter for the signal, not the output to the speakers. He only has one set of RCA's being split into both front and rear amp inputs which essentially gives him no front and rear fade control. You can usually adjust the gains on the amp to simulate that control but you can't do it from the deck interface. No biggie.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: