Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

On my car below someone cut the pinch weldt metal that runs up and down on the door pillars. Can you think of any reason why some one would cut these off? And do you know of any manufacturers that make them so I can weld back on so I'd eventually be able to tuck a headliner in? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how it should look:

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Nobody is reproducing these that I know of. I am sure sure its because of the low demand for the part. Your only solution is to salvage the pinch seam off a wrecking yard Bug and take the time to weld on the replacement part. You could also go Euro style and just install a headliner and paint the rest of the exposed interior metal.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Nobody is reproducing these that I know of. I am sure sure its because of the low demand for the part. Your only solution is to salvage the pinch seam off a wrecking yard Bug and take the time to weld on the replacement part. You could also go Euro style and just install a headliner and paint the rest of the exposed interior metal.

I go with Vwnut1 on this. It may be hard to remove from a junk car and maybe not, but worth it in the long run. Do good measurements on this. Looking at your car I think this idea is worth a shot. Not a quick fix but you will be glad you did with windlace done as it should be. Sharp thin chisel should do it.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Is this what you're looking for ? I saw this being used in another build I watch all the time. Fortunately I don't think I'll need to replace mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1831886
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Is this what you're looking for ? I saw this being used in another build I watch all the time. Fortunately I don't think I'll need to replace mine.

That's the ones, Virtanen will ship from Finland I've used his panels and his metal work is of the highest standard.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Great find "thomas."! I didn't think anyone was reproducing these puppies and the price seems reasonable.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

Yes, awesome, Thx man!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Hard to tell from your pics on my phone but, I see no evidence of them ever actually being there. Are you sure this isn't a standard bug? They wouldn't have a full headliner, just a headliner that is over your head and that is all, nothing around the windows or anything. Do you see evidence of glue where the headliner would have been glued below the rear windows?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Hard to tell from your pics on my phone but, I see no evidence of them ever actually being there. Are you sure this isn't a standard bug? They wouldn't have a full headliner, just a headliner that is over your head and that is all, nothing around the windows or anything. Do you see evidence of glue where the headliner would have been glued below the rear windows?

They cut them pretty clean but definitely cut. In person you can see the sharp edges and the glue was sanded off. Almost all of the glue was sanded off and down to the metal in a lot of spots and left to rust Rolling Eyes
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Keith wrote:

They cut them pretty clean but definitely cut. In person you can see the sharp edges and the glue was sanded off. Almost all of the glue was sanded off and down to the metal in a lot of spots and left to rust Rolling Eyes

Ah, hard to tell in the pics. Guess someone was going for the standard look then.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

These actually look to be the correct ones I need for the pillars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1694186

and these for the bottoms

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1430648
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

I was always needing to re-adjust the welting in my 61 Deluxe. PITA.

The 62 was a Standard and didn't have them. Painted posts. Nice and clean.

Am going to cut the ones from my 65 Deluxe any day now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Anyone know if a 63 deluxe ragtop is supposed to have these pinch weldt pieces above doors too? Thx

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

Yes, you need them to hang the full headliner in the car. Obviously someone made your car look like a standard model by eliminating all the upholstery strips.

brad
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Yes, you need them to hang the full headliner in the car. Obviously someone made your car look like a standard model by eliminating all the upholstery strips.

brad

Yea luckily they left the ones by the rear window, Thx
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Anyone know if a 63 deluxe ragtop is supposed to have these pinch weldt pieces above doors too? Thx

the ones over the door opening on my car (1961 delux) need to be removed and reattached!!!!!

On my car (original family owner car, unmolested) the old cloth headliner would alwas get wet and stained at the door opening top. the reason was the cloth headliner was touching the rubber door seal, water from a wet seal would wet the cloth and it would wick it up. always was a problem, headliner ruined.

on close inspection found that not all bugs have this problem. It appears Adolf and Hans had a bit too much beer at lunch time, and when they went back to work to weld the headliner rails on my car, they placed them a bit too close to the door opening., closer than on other Bugs built before the beer break.

so if you reinstall these rails, make sure everything is spaced far enough so cloth is not touching any door seal. even the factory would get this wrong once and a while!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner weldt metal cut off..wtf? Reply with quote

^^Thanks for the info and tips bluebus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: