Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Has anyone used this reproduction front shift rod?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711155d

Both the pin slot and bowl surface of mine are worn, which is making for a fair amount of slop. However, the tolerances are pretty tight so I don't want to just trade a worn OG part with a poorly fitting replacement.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

have you seen this?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661891&highlight=shifter

I have yet to find a badly worn front pipe, not to say it couldn't happen. check the shifter first.

I assume that you have all new bushings/coupler etc on your bus now?

and, no feedback on the WW part. you can weld the slot and file as needed so the pin is snug, but check to see if the pin is worn

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Quote:
have you seen this? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661891&highlight=shifter

Yep.... that's what got me started down this path. Smile

I don't have a welder and have no logical way to make an accurate cut if I have that slot welded up, so it is easier to buy a new one. The pin on the shifter is in good shape. The side of the bowl is noticeably worn past the smooth surface and into a rougher sub-surface in the back wall.... not enough to make it dysfunctional, just sloppy with a little roughness.

I've replaced the rear coupler and front bushings, but not the rear bushings. I may be pulling the motor Wednesday (with Robbie's help) in which case we would do the remaining bushings.

I have 4 shifters, and all 4 of them have worn flat spots on the collars. I'll probably have one of those welded and try to file it down per your prior comments.

When I put the engine in it was shifting fine. After a couple weeks I had trouble downshifting into second, then started having intermittent trouble getting first or second. Same result with engine on or off. At this point I am assuming it is a combination of poor adjustment and wear that is causing the issues, hence the original search. Yes, I too want to "shift my bus with my pinky".
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

the big thing is that collar on the shifter...

when worn out, stuffing the lock plate up to the flat spot is really pushing the shifter a bit past the 1/2 detent, and almost into reverse. so basically, the shift rails in the transmission are not 100% aligned for the 1-2 shift, and subsequently rotating the shift rails into reverse.

honestly, I NEVER stuff any manual into first, unless I am dam near stopped. it's just a thing that I have Embarassed

I would ask WW where it's made. it could very well be VW of brasil, which may not be *too* bad.

did you push the pin out of the shifter? take a measurement at the base where the spring is...I have found them to be worn .002 and in extreme cases .005. the pin, in all honesty is just to keep the shifter from rotating in the bowl, but it is kind of important as the shifter has that bend in it unlike a split window where it's just a long straight stick, and the pin isn't used

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Quote:
honestly, I NEVER stuff any manual into first, unless I am dam near stopped. it's just a thing that I have Embarassed
Same here.

Quote:
I would ask WW where it's made. it could very well be VW of brasil, which may not be *too* bad.
It says on their site that they manufacture it.

Quote:
did you push the pin out of the shifter? take a measurement at the base where the spring is...I have found them to be worn .002 and in extreme cases .005. the pin, in all honesty is just to keep the shifter from rotating in the bowl, but it is kind of important as the shifter has that bend in it unlike a split window where it's just a long straight stick, and the pin isn't used
The shifters I have all have pins that are still peened in place. They move freely against their springs. I am assuming that it is better to leave the peening intact rather than try and get it out. You mentioned the wear at the base of the pin near the spring.... I would have thought that the wear would happen along the exposed shaft of the pin where it rubs against the walls of the slot in the bowl?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

the pin just taps out.

that bore the pin sits in can get egged out too, so even if the pin is solid in the slot, you can get some rotational movement in the shift lever if the pin bore is worn out

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Hoody found some NOS German VW bus shifters, late bay ipe bowl etc., and associated parts in Europe at a reasonable price. I don't know if he has any left or how many he found.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Hoody found some NOS German VW bus shifters, late bay ipe bowl etc., and associated parts in Europe at a reasonable price. I don't know if he has any left or how many he found.

PM sent to Hoody, thanks Steve.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Alright. Sorry 70crew, I have to post this. I'm getting flash backs from Bowser's castle. (Ask your son if you need help with the reference.......)

Link

Showed up at 9am. Had the engine and transaxle out by 10. Took this video at 10:30 of the rear shift rod binding.

Anyway, it shifts like a dream now. Dancing
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656665&highlight=

70 crew- I had an issue down shifting into 2nd and occasionally finding second gear in my bus. It has a rebuilt transmission, new rear shift coupler and new front bushing on the shift rod.

As this thread shows, I had a craptastic Chinese shift plate. I got lucky and found a NOS BUS shift plate and it made a massive difference in how my bus shifted. I can find all gears perfectly. The throw or distance between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th is much shorter as well.

The bus shifts perfectly now. Best $ I spent.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

My Berg shifter is sweet
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

If we're still talking about that shift rod thingy from WW, I used it and it worked just fine. No issues at all.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Quote:
Alright. Sorry 70crew, I have to post this.
That's it, I'm revoking your wifi privileges.

Quote:
Showed up at 9am. Had the engine and transaxle out by 10.
Amazing what happens when you give Robbie a cup of coffee before you start.

Quote:
As this thread shows, I had a craptastic Chinese shift plate. I got lucky and found a NOS BUS shift plate and it made a massive difference in how my bus shifted.
Fortunately I have an OG shift plate but thanks for the tip.

Quote:
If we're still talking about that shift rod thingy from WW, I used it and it worked just fine. No issues at all.
Thanks! I may get one eventually but it shifts great now. Pulled the front and rear shift rods, cleaned the tube, and replaced all the shift bushings. As Robbie so nicely illustrated, the front (middle) shift bushing was horrible. Between that and the clean clutch disk (long story) this thing drives like a new car. Well, almost. We are never done, right?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
My Berg shifter is sweet

p/m sent

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:
My Berg shifter is sweet

p/m sent

secrets don't make friends, guys

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West front shift rod quality/fit? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:
My Berg shifter is sweet

p/m sent

secrets don't make friends, guys

Maybe they don't consider you a friend?!?!

Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: