Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C in a 1981 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
concepts12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

ive got an A/C installed in my van. It looks like it's in backwards. Eny one ever see Enything like it?. They cut a hole in the tin, leaving a void were air can come through braking the seal on the engine bay. I'm thinking this is the reason my engine runs hot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

The AC System in my '83 Air-cool looks exactly the same.

I fabricated a means to plugged the hole around the tin.

The biggest issue I had with my AC compressor was belt size and adjustment. The long belt that goes behind the fan is too small. I later found a slightly larger pulley to go behind the fan which allowed a larger v-belt.

Note: Removing the Fan to change that belt can be a PITA.

That AC system worked great for years, even when I changed it over to R-134a.

Sorry, no pics as the Van has been moth-balled since 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

if you do seal the gaps, make sure the sealing material cannot come loose, if it does it maybe sucked i to the fan with disasterous results!

that compressor is an old piston type. newer rotory vane type are often smaller for same capacity, and require less engine power to run. that may allow you to better fit it with less holes in the tin. but that is abig project. if this one works well, simply seal it off the best you can, securing the seal material well.
a loose piece of foam or rubber could totally block your cooling fan or head fins if sucked into the fan.

that elbow fitting sure looks like it lead a tough life!

stay cool. Cool

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

Although my 83 is 33 years old, the plastic "screen" to protect the fan from sucking in objects is still intact and functional. I guess that is a NLA part. But, as bluebus86 suggested, you sure don't want debris of any kind entering the fan!

Although not recommended by me, I use to periodically spray water into the fan with the engine running at fast idle to clean out accumulated dust, etc. I began spraying with the into the fan from a cold start. Never, ever do that with a hot engine!

As for the square compressor, yes, it is a piston version as well as those mounted on the WBXer engines... seems they have 5 pistons driven by a wobble plate.

Mounting a later model compressor similar to those that come on the WBXer engine is going to require some ingenious fabrication.

In an effort to "assist" the engine, I installed a manual rocker switch and relay to turn Off/On the compressor but leaving all other aspects of the system in the run mode. I usually used that switch if I was pulling out from a traffic light or stop sign and needed extra power for acceleration. I also installed a "green" LED light in the dash to indicate when the Compressor was kicked-in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Although my 83 is 33 years old, the plastic "screen" to protect the fan from sucking in objects is still intact and functional. I guess that is a NLA part. But, as bluebus86 suggested, you sure don't want debris of any kind entering the fan!

Although not recommended by me, I use to periodically spray water into the fan with the engine running at fast idle to clean out accumulated dust, etc. I began spraying with the into the fan from a cold start. Never, ever do that with a hot engine!

As for the square compressor, yes, it is a piston version as well as those mounted on the WBXer engines... seems they have 5 pistons driven by a wobble plate.

Mounting a later model compressor similar to those that come on the WBXer engine is going to require some ingenious fabrication.

In an effort to "assist" the engine, I installed a manual rocker switch and relay to turn Off/On the compressor but leaving all other aspects of the system in the run mode. I usually used that switch if I was pulling out from a traffic light or stop sign and needed extra power for acceleration. I also installed a "green" LED light in the dash to indicate when the Compressor was kicked-in.

i found one of them screen fan protectors at a wrecker on a baywindow bus., now it is on my 914. the 914 never had them installed by factory, and leafs made it thru the engine lid regularly! still fine stuff does make it thru, leaf bits, pine needles. larger stuff can build up at bottom of screen, and eventually break up and make it thru, so frequent sweeping it out is good to do. I too ahbe shot water thru to clean the head fins. however offen it is dirty with oil and junk and the oil causes tbe junk to stick, water is not enough, so I have been known to squirt some engjne cleaner in there, let it soak, then rinse.

clean cooling fins are important. I have found all kinds of blockages of fins by sucked in junk and oil. leaves seem to be one of the big offenders, no one leaf probably will over heat a motor, but they can build up big time and block cooling, cause cylinder warping do to u even temperatures, generaly shorten engine life. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

hello fall season!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

Popcorn

I love that hole. Where are all my samba friends when you need to debate Vanagon engine seal. Very Happy
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C in a 1981 Vanagon Reply with quote

I'll bite, I bought my air cooled Westy in Texas and it came with an air conditioner that had ceased to function a long time ago, the engine had been replaced 1000 miles ago, they butched the seal and the tin when they put it in.
I ripped it all out, got the correct used piece of tin and a new engine seal.
an a/c on an Air cooled Vanagon isn't a great idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: