Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painted white top tintop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Considering having my vanagon painted. Digging and searching for pictures of a tintop that has the top painted white to help lower interior temps (S. Florida). Any pictures or where to find pictures would help in making the decision. Not planning on changing the color (tungsten/ wolfram grey metallic) other than the top.
Thanks
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use 1 quart of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane 4359 White with foam roller. It's been more than a year... no bubbles, no peeling...

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/finishes/brightside-polyurethane.aspx
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Hmmm,

A dark grey Metallic with a White Top?

IMHO it is Way too drastic of a contrast. 😂😂

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hmmm,

Dave

for me my van is blue, if i was to paint the top white, it would have a blue tint. kind of like what some of the red, blue or turquiose two tone splitwindows had for factory paint. I had a turquoise 63 microbus, two tone with a white with light light blue,green tint upper paint color, factory color.

look up for photos of the old two tone split busses with light color uppers, they may give inspiration to have you do a light color tint to match or contrast the lower color. all white is ok, and would have the edge on heat, but a very light tint might greatly enhance astetics with minor heat gain verses all white. of course asterics are in the eye of the beholder.

White Roofs Matter (WRM, pronounced "worm") Wink .

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hmmm,

Dave

Here is Bandit, pearl crystal metallic with VW platinum metallic highlights. Definitely a white top. AC works great, but was completely restored, the only original item is the evaporator coil. 100° F temps are manageable, but still better in the shade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

detoxed wrote:
Considering having my vanagon painted. Digging and searching for pictures of a tintop that has the top painted white to help lower interior temps (S. Florida). Any pictures or where to find pictures would help in making the decision. Not planning on changing the color (tungsten/ wolfram grey metallic) other than the top.
Thanks

I did that with my 84' hard top. Looked good and really helped with interior temperatures.

http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

it does look good.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Greebly- did you do the paint yourself or get done locally? That looks awesome, I'm looking at some kind of paint job next year, and I'm pretty sure we're in the same locale. Looking for somewhere besides the established local fellow; nothing against him, just hoping for quicker turn around, when he did a little bit of stuff for me he was months out on full paintwork.

You can send me a PM if you want.

OP- sorry about the hijack. I've thought about doing the interlux on my roof too, think it loos great personally.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Sent you a PM. I prep prepared the van, removed everything including windows (doors included). I do not have the experience, tools, facility nor the wish to do body work and paint.
Greystar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

go for it, it doesn't look bad. i painted mine because the top was different layers of rust, primer, base coat, top coat, and non-working ac. Did the roller Rust-Oleum white with a little black added and it holds up well.

Smpkns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

Here is my white top.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

About time for IdahoDoug to chime in here.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Painted white top tintop Reply with quote

I want to paint my roof a light grey, but also incorporate the "down slant" around the windshield, vaguely reminiscent of the split window paint scheme but using the lines of the Vanagon.

My bus is burgundy, and the clear is failing in spots. Roof is pretty bad. It will never be a 'nice' van, but it's a good runner that I just want to look presentable for a few years.

Here's my crude rendering. I colored in a line drawing I found online. I left the artist's signature as credit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: