Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting Rims .... uh .... ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlametopFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

I am shopping for new tires.
Before putting the new tires on, thought I might paint the rims.

Tips?

How to clean?

I don't really care if I spray paint on the old tires .... any other painting tips? Brand of spray paint?

Cheers
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want silver I used Testors model spray silver, great coverage, great color, very close to the original silver. I got it at a hobby shop.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about set to do the same thing on my bus. After painting my bumper a couple years ago with standard cheap white spray paint I've determined I need something a little better.

I bought some Rust-Oleum "professional" white paint for pretty cheap still and will probably use that, its supposed to be a much harder coat. We'll see how that lasts.

I also saw just this weekend a guys engine tins done with Hammerite that looked to provide a very nice coat and very durable too. Maybe some investigation into that would be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a wire wheel on the front and back of my wheels (with the old tires still on) Primed with a rust inhibiting primer and then I used Krylon Hammered Silver. I think it looks pretty good and I haven't had a problem since. I also bought an extra can for futre touch ups so I wouldn't have to worry about matching the paint color. Cheap and easy (except for the wire wheeling, that was kind of labor intensive)

See for yourself

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powdercoat them if you can afford it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wire wheel the heavier rust spots and then wet sand them with 220 grit, then 320 grit and use some "purple power/Castrol super clean" on them while wet sanding. That stuff cuts off any grease or oil and helps get the metal clean so the paint will stick.

Then if you have rust issues I use a green liquid rust inhibitor called "OSPHO" also sold under other brand names such as "RUST CURE" or "RUST MORT"... apply that and let sit overnight... then you must wire wheel and wet sand again ( but it takes less time...just prepped the surface again) Then after drying wipe with a "wax and grease remover" and primer, then after the primer has had it's chance to cure up go ahead with your top coats.

For rattle can I prefer "DUPLICOLOR" truck/van paint that comes in several shades of silver/grey or white if that is your preference and it's available at most Auto parts stores.

I have spray equipment though so I use real auto grade paint but still do a rattle can job once in awhile.

Buy 3 cans and expect to use 2 and a half applying several coats... a light tack coat first then 2 heavier coats.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pigpen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, powdercoat them....I got a set of og wheels sandblasted and powdercoated for $25 a wheel......$100 and they looked perfect.....
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin9 wrote:
Without a doubt, powdercoat them....I got a set of og wheels sandblasted and powdercoated for $25 a wheel......$100 and they looked perfect.....

This is definetly the best way to go in my opinion, great finish and great look!

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Powdercoat them if you can afford it.

Yes powdercoating is awsome... but some might be on a budget and only want to spend 25 bucks and some hours of elbow grease... Idea
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get them reasonably clean with the wire wheel you can always paint them with regular spray paint and touch them up easily when needed. Especially if you cut a piece of thin metal with an arch that easily mates with the rim to mask off the tire so you don't have to tape them. But $25 / wheel powder coated - that's tough to beat.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, I'd love to powder coat them but the cost is too much right now. I'm gonna wash mine off and paint them biatches with two cans o rattle paint and I'll post the pics. Very Happy
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earlier this month metalworks in eugene hot tanked four skanky but true rims with clips for $60. seven day turn around. rustoleum primer and professional white enamel until i am sure i like white rims.. two cans at 5.49 each. next year powdercoat. recent photo in the tire sticky, check it out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had pretty good luck spray painting rims in the past. Get them clean so the paint will stick well and use quality paint. I let the paint dry for a day or so and then I stuff each rim in the oven at about 200F for an hour or so to help harden the paint.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

Math flash cards? Former elementary teacher?
caseyr02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

I second the flash card method! Did all my rims the same way. Came out great.

2 coats of white primer and 2 coats of original VW Cloud White (via English Auto Paint). They can put the auto paint put into spray paint cans if you dont have sprayer.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

That 3M blue tape works great if you're spraying with rubber still on......
Be sure to clean out that gap, the seventies bus wheels have that annoying
crease that catches tiny stuff, scrape that GAP! Before you paint/coat,
whatever.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

caseyr02 wrote:

2 coats of white primer and 2 coats of original VW Cloud White (via English Auto Paint). They can put the auto paint put into spray paint cans if you dont have sprayer.

Never heard of English Auto Paint. Is it the one in Dallas?

Thanks
Tcash
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

Recommend taking the rims into a tire shop and have them spin them in their machine before you do any work on them. I put a lot of work into sandblasting and painting mine then when I went to pick up them up from the shop mounting the tires they said a couple of them were knocked out of shape a bit and took a fair amount of weights to balance them. Even with the weights they said I could still have an issue with them feeling out of balance but haven't noticed. $25 a rim to blast and powder coat?!! I think I spent that just to blast and rattle can.
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Rims .... uh .... ? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
caseyr02 wrote:

Never heard of English Auto Paint. Is it the one in Dallas?

Thanks
Tcash

There are several English Auto Paint stores in the DFW area.

I've used then a few times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: